The Dark Mod Forums

LCD Monitors

Jetrell

I have a LCD monitor question.

I do a lot of mapping and editing etc... and I want to get a new computer monitor.

I've been using an old and massive CRT for a very long time but it has died so I was thinking about getting a new LCD monitor but I have a few concerns about clarity and sharpness.

I've been looking at 22" ViewSonic and 22" LG monitors but I'm not sure if they will do the job.

http://www.tigerdire...06&sku=V18-2238

http://www.tigerdire...39&sku=L49-2150

Do you think either of these monitors will be adequate for mapping?

P.S. Where is a good place to buy monitors?

You should definitely go for an LED-backlit one. I think you may not even have a choice because they have become standard since a year or two ago. My mom just got a 20 inch LED-backlit one for $100 at Staples and it looks pretty good. The brand is Acer. The advantages of LED backlights are:

*Less energy consumption

*Longer life of light source

*less heat production

*no "warm up times" which are still present on CCFL monitors. Turn one on in the morning and notice that it takes a couple of minutes to get to full brightness. This isn't a problem on LEDs.

.. and if you've ever wondered how these things work,

is an excellent video explaining it all. Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Thank you both for your help!

@ Bikerdude: I'd like to pay about $150.00 USD but if necessary I'd be willing to go up. I think a 22" monitor is a good size for what I like to do which is mostly mapping and editing. Please let me know what you think about the monitors in the links.

@ lost_soul: I agree with you, a backlit LED monitor seems to be good but do you think it will be good enough for intensive editing and mapping? In the links that I added the ViewSonic is LED backlit but the LG doesn't seem to be backlit but the reviews say it's a very high quality monitor.

LED's are generally pretty crap if you're looking for quality. Lower brightness as well as wLED aging issues and bad diffusers make it a bit of a minefield. Colour is also generally poor, however I see that they're replacing the rim diffusers with wLED matrix on the midrange stuff now.

Anyway, CCFL is pretty good (and the best unless you're looking at studio/proofing grade RGB-LED matrices). That price range does limit you to TN panels tho, haven't looked at them in ages but I usually prefer Samsung for that stuff (cheap, decent replacement speed), if you can find a non-glossy model with a decent stand, otherwise LG are pretty solid, usually much better stands and far more models that arnt glossy.

How about I restart my question all over:

I'm a mapper and do a lot of intensive editing and I'm looking to get a new monitor. My budget is around $150 USD, (I'd like to stay under $200).

What kind of monitor would you recommend for me and where is a good place to get it?

Thanks!

I have two of these:

http://www.richardlovison.com/?p=91

I got each for exactly $200 a couple years ago on Boxing Day from Futureshop. One is about 4 years old the other is about 5 years old; they are both excellent. I clean them directly with a rag and there's no scratches, dead cells or any anomalies. They support a max of 1680x1050 which looks very crisp on these and I couldn't imagine a higher resolution helping much with anything. The color is great and games with lots of darkness is them look fine. There is some brightness change when you move your head up and down by a fairly significant amount, but generally my head is in the same spot when I go on the computer, especially when playing a dark game, so it's a non issue. I map a lot and these one of these holds the X Y Z and 3d views while the menus I keep on my second monitor, so I have lots of space. But I could easily map on one as well.

The review says the viewing angle is smaller than advertised, but I haven't noticed a problem with it.

I don't know how the newer Samsung models are, but I'd suggest looking into them. As for LG, I often notice the image quality is fairly poor on them when looking at the ones displayed in-store. Often they display poor coloring and blurry images. Before purchasing online you should find a local store that has one so you can take a gander at it before purchasing.

I forgot all about this, sorry.

So going on Jdudes monitor specs,(his being PVA) I had a quick look for a 22" the better IPS based monitor and LED backlighting-

LG IPS226V - $170

It have 3 input types, DVI-D, HDMI and VGA, good angles, and non-glossy screen. one downside for me is it isnt the best looking monitor...But as always look fore reviews etc.

@ jdude: Thanks for the info, the Samsung 226BW looks like a very fine monitor but when I looked for it they said it was out of stock and that is might not be restocked.

@ bikerdude: I agree, the LG IPS226V-PN monitor looks like the best choice for me. Also, newegg has free shipping which is another plus. Thanks for all your help, I can't wait to get back to mapping.