The Dark Mod Forums

Looking for play testers

Theothesnopp

You might also want to divide the very long vertical brushes into segments matching the height of each floor in the tower, and merging any extra brushes together where possible. That might help with performance for some players.

Similar to this:

post-3285-0-28533700-1320550466_thumb.jpg

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the above scenario, it would be even more beneficial to convert some of those stripes to Func_Static. Or (if they already are FS) then revert alternate stripes to World_Spawn so the light count is kept low per segment.

<p><br></p><p>I will need to go back and test but your first version seemed to have better outdoor performance? <br></p><p><br></p><p>In both cases it was playable outside.<br></p><p><br></p><p>Indoors there was one area near an elevator with two seated guards that had low FPS (around 5). It seems that improved in the recent build but was still slow.<br></p><p><br></p><p>Visually, the exterior of the castle is nice but it might be a good idea to try a different stone texture towards the base of the castle and maybe apply some decals for a little<br></p><p>shading.<br></p><p><br></p><p>The first tower you enter seemed barren as you worked your way to the top. Some props (rope coil, grain bags, etc) per each level would help there.<br></p><p><br></p><p>Patrols are pretty good with challenges for traversing large illuminated areas. The upstairs area with the moon-beams doesn't seem to have any safe areas though?<br></p><p><br></p><p>Entering from the balcony with the archer's key, the hall is a bit of a blind risk but shouldn't frustrate too much.<br></p><p><br></p><p>The ambient audio is still a bit too high but the ambient slider fixes that. I would like to hear some different loops in different zones though.</p>

All in all a promising mission thus far, and I look forward to your refinements. ^_^

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Got a little further.

<p>I really enjoyed sneaking past the card players upstairs.<br></p><p><br></p><p>I see that there's a large stretch of high-risk illuminated corridors after you pass through the attic to the other side.<br></p><p>I didn't run into a patrol so I presume they are infrequent enough where it won't become a trial-n-error issue.</p>

The readables still don't appear to have text, is that still in-progress or is that some sorta xdata problem?

Hmmm... I thought the xdata was fixed. I'll have to look again. Maybe an extra line feed was entered without quotes somewhere.

I just checked the last version I downloaded and made sure the houseoftheo.xd file was not in my /darkmod/xdata path. The readables work in the file I got. I'll double-check and re-download the latest version... just in case the one I'm running is the one that I packed after fixing the readables, and not the one posted last.

Edited by PranQster

I've got one from Nov 5th...

So I'll PM PranQster for the newer(?) version.

AFAIK, to test it locally, you'd need to remove your FM base directories and install the mission pk4.

I'll try to save you the hassle and get the file from PranQster... :smile:

how do i test it properly? seing as i do not need the xdata for readables to show up.

To test it properly, you need to remove houseoftheo.xd from your /darkmod/xdata directory. Then install the FM after deleting your /darkmod/fms/houseoftheo and /doom3/houseoftheo directories. If the readables still show up, you know it's fixed because it has no /darkmod/xdata/houseoftheo.xd to fall back on.

Apologies...

I have had limited time the last few mornings (wife interference) and haven't gotten up to where my last (deleted) game save left-off.

I should have more feedback tomorrow (hopefully).

Back to approximately where I left-off:

Hint please:

Where do I find the key that unlocks the door in the ornate, chandelier lit, wood-paneled hall upstairs?

Edited by nbohr1more

• 2 weeks later...