The Dark Mod Forums

Creating a door model:

Bikerdude

Ok,

Its easy enough to create a FS based door, but the issue is as soon as you rotate them they get out of alignment and wont snap to grid etc, but by comparison all the door models do. So I thought Ok create FS based door and export as .ASE, that didn't work as the exported model was just FS model not door entity. The other thing I noticed is once exported as a .ASE the axis point is not adjustable.

So how do I create a proper model based door like we already have in TDM..?

that didn't work as the exported model was just FS model not door entity.

A model can't be an entity. You need to create a new entitydef and point it at the model you created.

It should be at the origin of the exported model. So re-export your model with a different origin. (After you placed the model in the map, you can then later shift it around)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It should be at the origin of the exported model. So re-export your model with a different origin. (After you placed the model in the map, you can then later shift it around)

Nope, in the exported model the axis origin was reset back to the middle of the model not the edge where it was before exporting. Also you are not able to more said origin in an .ASE model.

If you use "Export as ASE", you need to untick the box "center at origin (0,0,0)", otherwise the model will always be re-centered. Before exporting it, place it so the origin of the map (0,0,0) is where the door origin should be. That should work.

As for later changing the origin, you need this to be a door entity (I am not sure if you need it to be a func_mover, or whatever). Just loading the model will not let you shift the origin.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

• If you use "Export as ASE", you need to untick the box "center at origin (0,0,0)", otherwise the model will always be re-centered. Before exporting it, place it so the origin of the map (0,0,0) is where the door origin should be. That should work.
  • As for later changing the origin, you need this to be a door entity (I am not sure if you need it to be a func_mover, or whatever). Just loading the model will not let you shift the origin.

Ah... I always thought that was so that when you exported the model it would center in the model viewer- if it isnt this info should be in the wiki.

well if the origin get exported in the correct location then I wont have any need to change it, but now armed with this new info I can merry start making a bunch of new doors.

Cool, looking forward to them :) Please post screenshots.

Well that was short lived, the export model still have the axis in the middle of the door, but the edge where it is in the FS model. So that would mean the tickbox "center objects at origin 0,0,0 is precicly that and nothing to do with the axis vert point position on FS object.

Huh?

Here is a simple brush exported as ASE, note how the "origin" of the model is at the map origin, while the model sits somewhere else:

If you look closely, this is the same distance between the map origin (0,0,0) and the origin of the brush (the black block to the left), which I exported. To my knowledge that would make the door then swing around that origin.

You can try this by exporting a 96x48 brush, create a 96x48 door, and replace it's model spawnarg with the name of your ASE model.

Yes, please, it is really obscure. (And hopefully it actually works :)

well it will be a short one as it dosent take that long to make a door, ( and yes the export worked correctly in that the axis verty location stayed put on the edge of the door where I put in the FS version)

I will give the mapper two options with regard to .ASE model in that they can either change the entity class type (simplest option) but also a full .DEF definition etc.

[update] I found if I want the exported .ASE model to have the axis vert point in the position I have to move the FS model so that the axis vert is in the same location as map 0,0,0. other wise when exported said vert point is not where it should be on the edge of the door.