The Dark Mod Forums

Video of glitches?

AngelWolf

So I was playing through A Score to Settle the other night with fraps running and I captured footage of a few glitches. How would you all suggest we handle sharing of such videos? My natural instinct is to put them up on youtube with funny comments and share the links with you all. There seems to be an endless supply of videos containing glitches in commercial games. But on the other hand, I know we don't want to make the mod look bad. Suggestions?

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

Glitch videos are bad PR. My personal recommendation (may differ from the team's) would be that never post glitch videos. Focus on videos that make the game look good.

If one searches videos of TDM and uses them to make the decision whether download it, finding a bunch of glitch videos would be detrimental.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Is there something like bad PR? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Detrimental to whom? Those who are fooled into expecting perfection will be disappointed all the same when they experience these issues firsthand.

I say let people post videos with buggy graphics and AI. If it really bothers you suggest a fix. I'll upvote your comment. We can turn that bad PR into good PR real easy.

I'm probably traumatized by a few videos I've seen:

There was one let's play video, where the guy had AAS32 out of date and AI were miserably stuck everywhere.

Then there was the other video, where the FRAPS bug made the lightgem go lit if the player even looked at the light source. The videomaker commented that constantly as he struggled forward, being seen even in the shadows all the time.

Watching those was painful as both of those two videos made TDM look like crap. I've no idea how that PR can could be turned into good one. The fundamental signal those videos sent was that TDM is not even playable with all the bugs. My perceptions of avoiding posting bug videos is due to that. I don't mind posting videos of normal play with occasional problems, but videos focusing on the problems something else. But these are just my personal suggestions and people can do whatever they please.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Watching those was painful as both of those two videos made TDM look like crap. I've no idea how that PR can could be turned into good one.

I agree, and felt the same way when watching those videos. If I saw a glitchy, buggy video of a mod, I wouldn't download it.

If people want to post glitch videos, at least set them so they can only be seen by people who have the link, then post the link here.

• Like 1

I like that idea Springheel. I didn't realize I could set them to unlisted. I also changed the descriptions to include the fact that TDM is an evolving project and that it was filmed with 1.07. Have a good laugh guys!

#1:

#2:

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

#3:

Taurus philosophy:

The first one was hillarious. Does that sill happen with v1.08?

Also it seems odd to get "New Objective" as message when you fail the misson.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

My 2¢: -

- Posting these kind of videos here on the forums is fine, just an extension of the 'Silly Screenshots' thread. They may even sometimes be helpful in giving mappers advice on how to avoid the glitch in the first place.

- FWIW, I thought that, up until the glitch, the second video made the TDM AI look pretty good - they're quite relentless in their pursuit, and you're not completely safe even if they can't reach you. Be nice to see it in higher resolution with some sound. (Were the videos meant to have no sound or is it my settings?)

- I assume the 'glitch' in the third video was the second poker player not noticing his team mate had been KO'd? :P If so, I'd say that's a gameplay issue (that TDM shares with the Thief series AFAIK) rather than a glitch, but other opinions are available :) .

I think he was waiting to finish his speech. You do get a new objective when he finishes. It's like the actor's script is overriding the default AI processing and when the script finishes, he dies. I'd be tempted to try killing him by other means while he's talking to see what happens.

Taurus philosophy:

The third video was a few issues actually. They didn't seem to care about the lights going out or the huge gout of water that rained down on the table from the second arrow. Also the last guy slumping against the table looked weird as there was a gap between him and it. His head and shoulders swung back and forth grotesquely before he stops twitching. Oh, and yeah the sound is broken at the moment.

Edited by AngelWolf

Taurus philosophy:

#1 Won't happen anymore in 1.08. If you hit an AI with an object, they'll either attack you or tell you to cut it out, depending on whether they're friendly or not. It will interrupt the conversation, but that's a separate issue.

#2 Happens rarely when there are attachments bound to a ragdoll. Never seen one clip into a wall like that though.

They didn't seem to care about the lights going out or the huge gout of water that rained down on the table from the second arrow

They should have commented on both lights going out (and have when I played it) and depending on what difficulty level you were on, they will treat it as suspicious and often relight the first one you put out. The water from the second arrow is well behind the table (though AI don't react to the actual water, they will notice the impact sound if it's close enough). Once it's dark, they can't really see each other, so they can't react when you KO their friend.

Doesn't strike me as particularly buggy. I was hoping to have the sound of collapsing bodies in the 1.08 update (so AI would at least hear the body falling over) but Tels wasn't able to figure out why it isn't working for ragdolls.

I'd be tempted to try killing him by other means while he's talking to see what happens

You can kill people during conversations normally. What probably happened in that video is tiny amounts of damage from impacts built up until he died.

Also the last guy slumping against the table looked weird as there was a gap between him and it.

Just looked like his chest was resting on the table. His head would have slumped forward more in real life, but it didn't seem that strange to me.