The Dark Mod Forums

I want to downgrade tdm

WReis

What, you don't like the new tablet-style interface? :) only joking.

I recommend not downgrading. Instead, post your system specs and we will try to help you locate and resolve the issue. What is your OS, RAM, CPU, and video card? New missions that are released will require materials which are in the newest version of TDM, which means you would just have to upgrade to play them when they're released.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

You can still get 1.06 at Moddb:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

If you want 1.07, run the TDM Updater and stop it after it downloads and installs the 1.06 to 1.07 zip file.

(Yeah, a little wonky but it should work.)

The problem is that many missions have been updated to use 1.08 assets or features.

For problems with 1.08 files themselves, just delete anything that you feel is broken and re-run the updater.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hi, guys, thx for the help. My specs are: Athlon 1800 ghz, 2gb, radeon 9200. I used to play every mission until 1 06, I guess. 1,07 excluded Return to the City with 'malloc failure' and now I can play just one: Alberic's Curse. The remaining missions crashes after 'preparing mission' announcement and Windows provides me this (I'm translating): "The instruction "0x22f50c07" referred the memory at "0x00000014". The memory couldn't be "read". Click OK to quit." The same text each mission.

If what Sotha mentioned doesn't help, you may have a broken ram stick. Did you test any other application that allocates large ammounts of memory?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The downsizebump trick worked, precisely the one that refers textures.

Well, guys, I have a suggestion that may help to moderate that straight-forward eagerness for upgrading things: where I leave we use to say that a winning team must not be modified; so, I'm so sorry, but I won't buy a new machine just to play TDM or whatever game and TDM worked fine with my specs for years. Now, you see, I'm forced to play it with horrible images,just because we use to throw out 'old things' (yeah, I'm already preparing myself for when it'll be my time). Why not keep some old versions of the mod and its missions, I mean, the ones that caused less complaints?

Cheers

The difference you are seeing is due to the GPL engine. The benefit of having that outweighs the downsides. When normal map compression is added to 1.09 you should be able to return the texture quality.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No offense Mr. WReis to you, but generally:

It is a real secret to my that people still have computers which can't handle a game that is nearly ten years old now. Now after the millenium where internet and technologie counts more then ever before one could say you must change your rig every three years to keep pace. And even if one hasn't the money to buy the newest power machine, there has to be at least the money to get a cheap box with some RAM, a GPU and CPU which is a year old or two and an onboard sound for about 300 € - at least after 10 years.. But people rather use their old machines from the ninetees, wait 5 minutes until it has booted up and wonder why they can't play modern games (TDM isn't even a modern game in technological means).

Seriously dude, no offens - I'm normally not that way, and you don't need to justify yourself or explain yourself, but this now had to go out of my mouth (or fingers) as it lingers in me everytime I read a post like this. Sorry, really sorry!! :blush:

• Like 2

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I can just underwrite what SeriousToni wrote - 2 GBytes memory is simple not enough for a modern game with gigabytes of textures, objects, AI, gigabytes of sound files and so on. While technically TDM might pull some tricks to save memory, it is simple run into a wall at some point trying to fit all the stuff into the little memory your machine has - in addition to your operating system, anti-virus, updater and what else is also running at the same time.

Some mobile phones today have more memory than that!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

A few things...

1. I played TDM 1.06 on a box with 1.75 GB of memory and it was (barely) playable. There was a lot of swapping and load times were long. I haven't tried any new version on that old system though I would expect trouble due to the new textures/characters/voices using more memory. I will try it when 1.09 comes out just for the hell of it. Back then, I hacked TDM to make it use less memory. I did this by unpacking all of the sound archives and re-encoding at less than 1/4 the bitrate. Also, I maintain systems well by not letting garbage run in the background like updaters and the like.

2. There are still a lot of old machines out there in service. Hell, my dentist is running a P4 with 2 GB of memory. He called me a wile ago, telling me it was slow (it had 1 GB). I cleaned it up and installed more RAM. He can hang on to it till XP dies and then get a nice machine at a good price. Topics like this are bound to come up here occasionally because for someone who isn't in to all the latest games and who just browses the web, these old machines still function fine for them.

3. What's your RAM configuration? Got any free slots? You can get DDR modules really cheap now. You could upgrade to 3 GB for the price of a dinner and solve the problem, but that video card and CPU will still limit performance.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.