The Dark Mod Forums

hide objectives untill readable is read..?

Bikerdude

Yeah, I did that on Beleaguered Fence.

There is a book in the captains quarters, under the floor, under a moveable chair. Reading the book reveals a new objective.

I can't remember how it was done, but examine the map and I'm sure you will figure it out!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

One possibility is to add an extra hidden objective to read the specific readable. The objective will be completed when the player reads the readable (but he wont notice it as its hidden). You can then use the success script field to launch a script method that sets the specific objectives to visible.

BTW: isn't this something more sufficient for the TDM Editors Guild? Just asking... ;)

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yeah, I did that on Beleaguered Fence.

Reading Trumble's ledger (from his desk) in In the North gives you two new optional objectives.

Ah cool will take a look, thanks guys.

One possibility is to add an extra hidden objective to read the specific readable. The objective will be completed when the player reads the readable (but he wont notice it as its hidden). You can then use the success script field to launch a script method that sets the specific objectives to visible.

Btw: isn't this something more sufficient for the TDM Editors Guild? Just asking... ;)

Ah sweet this is more like what I am trying to do, I would like one objective to begine with. Then when the player opens the readable all the other objective become visible. Dont suppose I could get you to look at my map so i can see how its done..?

And yes your correct, I should have posted this in the Guild section (blame it on sleepy sunday :-D)

Dont suppose I could get you to look at my map so i can see how its done..?

No problemo. Just pm me the map (really, only the map file). :smile:

Hey Bikerdude,

I actually set this up in the demo map I sent you last week, but if there's something wrong with how I did it, let me know after looking at Obsttorte's map :-P. I set up a hidden objective which is never used in game (so it's hidden, irreversible and optional) and it becomes complete after reading the readable. This objective (which the player never notices since it's never visible) has a completion target of a trigger that is pointed to the target_setobjective_visibility entity that unhides the new objective.

I think that method (hidden objective completed upon reading -> trigger -> target_setobjective_visibility entity) would work for multiple objectives all tied to the trigger.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

UPDATE: I just took a look in DR and it seems that there is no scripting needed (I bet you're lucky to hear that).

The only thing you need is an entity target_setobjective_visibility

set the spawnargs "obj_visibility" "1" and "obj_id1" "X", "obj_id2" "Y" and so one where X, Y, ... are the numbers of the objectives

now go to the objectives editor, in the success target field of the "read the readable" objective enter the name of the entity

This should be all you have to do.

Hint: As the objective is completed before the other ones are set visible, I guess the mission will end if the read objective is the only visible one in the beginning. If so, you may use the stim response editor for your purpose. On the readable, add a response "frob" that triggers the target-entity. If your objective is readable is closed, the other objective will be visible on reading the book, while the "read the book" objective gets checked when the player exits the readable gui.

I hope that helps.

Cheriou or so

@Moonbo: ba, too late

Now if The TDM team (Or Gman who is a team all by himself) could get snow working my mission would be 101% :-)

I think the snow problem might be in the renderer, since that's where the snowflakes/raindrops are spawned. Also, their visibility in the player view is probably also controlled somewhere in the rendering process. So I would expect someone who's renderer-familiar to fix this problem. And that's not me.

One thing you should keep in mind when assigning objective numbers in entities like target_setobjective_visibility: If you re-order your objectives, or add or delete one in the middle, the obj_idN spawnargs in target_setobjective_visibility will NOT be aware of the changes you make in the Objectives Editor. Your objective numbers can get screwed up as a result, and the wrong objectives will be told to become visible (or to hide, as the case may be).

nice one Obs

I'll probably never get used to the nicknames I'm getting here ;)

One thing you should keep in mind when assigning objective numbers in entities like target_setobjective_visibility

noted.

I'll probably never get used to the nicknames I'm getting here

I have a habit of shortening peoples nicks, but when I do its normaly in context etc :-D

The funny thing is, that simplen00b gave me the same strange name. As far as I know there is no word in the english language that starts with "tt", so for future reference, it's Obst-torte (so you may call me Obst or Torte, although the latter is a bit saucy).

I will then promise not to call you ude.

Damnit, own goal. Never watched that movie, ude.

What the ...?

Man, Biker, I really hope you don't look like THAT !