The Dark Mod Forums

'The Builder Road' reappearing on 'Availlable Downloads'

gnartsch

I downloaded 'The Builder Road' via the integrated downloader.

Although the download is successfull & I can install and play the mission alright, the mission reappears all the time in the list of 'Availlable Downloads'.

I openend a bug in the BugTracker for that issue.

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=3294

Not a big issue, but quite confusing, since you have no idea what is going on.

Yes, I am running TDM 1.08

D:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\TheDarkMod.exe

with D:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\ set as start folder on the desktop-shortcut.

Downloading other missions works as expected. It is just this specific mission where the code seems having trouble

convincing itself that the mission is really there after successfull download.

Edited by gnartsch

I have the same issue with a couple of other missions I've downloaded via the mission downloader. "Deceptive Shadows" is an example.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I renamed the 'fms' folder and created a new empty one.

Fired up TDM and told it to download 5 missions:

The Builders Road

Deceptive Shadows

Trapped!

Sons of Baltona

Vengeance for a Thief

All 5 downloads were successfully and all of them appear in the list of missions that are ready to play.

But again, when checking for new 'Downloadable Missions', then 'The Builders Road' is listed again.

missions.tdminfo:

tdm_missioninfo DeceptiveShadows

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

tdm_missioninfo VFAT1

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

tdm_missioninfo broads.pk4

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

tdm_missioninfo broads_pk4

{

}

tdm_missioninfo deceptiveshadows

{

}

tdm_missioninfo sons_of_baltona_1

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

tdm_missioninfo trapped

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

tdm_missioninfo vfat1

{

}

Did you hava a chance to try to download it via the integrated downloader ?

I'm seeing the same bad behavior.

I downloaded three mission one at a time:

The Builder Roads

The Chalice of Kings

The Builder's Influence

After DL'ing The Builder Roads, it did not disappear from the "Downloadable Missions" list.

As I DL'ed each of the other two, they disappeared from the list.

The code doesn't appear to recognize that the mission has been downloaded.

I strongly suspect that the reason this mod continues to show on the Downloadable Missions list after DL'ing is the way it's named.

All mission packages take the form <missionName>.pk4.

The Builder's Road has a mission name of "broads_pk4", so its filename on the mission server is "broads_pk4.pk4".

I think the presence of two "pk4" strings in the filename is confusing the downloader.

If I look at missions.tdminfo after DL'ing this mission, I see two entries instead of one:

tdm_missioninfo broads.pk4
{
"downloaded_version" "1"
}

tdm_missioninfo broads_pk4
{
}

The presence of the "broads.pk4" entry is strong evidence that the downloader is incorrectly parsing the filename "broads_pk4.pk4".

I think this problem can be fixed if the "broads_pk4.pk4" mission is deleted from the mission servers and replaced with one named "broads.pk4".

I think this problem can be fixed if the "broads_pk4.pk4" mission is deleted from the mission servers and replaced with one named "broads.pk4".

It should be fixed in the downloader code, tho. Getting a corrupted local database with two entries isn't good. (And apparantly it can appear in other cases, as I have seen this happen before, but couldn't pinpoint exactly why - and it wasn't a double PK4 in the string.

I'll have a look tonight and see if I can find where it is getting confused, unless someone beats me to it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Something weird for sure, I got stuck in the dl mission page, it kept saying i could dl this map, the updated maps i already got, but my missions to play screen was empty.

restarted the game and this one was still in the list to dl, but was also in the play list. started fine though.

--

Two visual bugs i'm noting...

1: the lockbox texture is mis-aligned again/still. arggg, I know I fixed it before :(

2: there's a new skin on the timber beds, white sheet. Must've been a specifc model texture because the normals are all wacky. Looks like crap... anyone making skins should check in game with lighting before commiting. Normals only show in game ;)

We can fix by making that skin have a no normals material, or we need to make a plain white blanket.

----------

Mission is great though, just had to come and look for a hint

can't find the other key needed to open the vator, I have the gold strange lockbox key. pretty sure I've been everywhere now)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The Builder's Road has a mission name of "broads_pk4", so its filename on the mission server is "broads_pk4.pk4".

I'll never named it that way. :huh: I always named it "broads.pk4".

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'll have a look tonight and see if I can find where it is getting confused, unless someone beats me to it.

Tels, I can confirm the file on both mirrors is spelt correctly and when downloaded manually they come down fine. Its just with the in-game downloaded the finle name corruption is happening, I have no idea how to fix this so can you take a look please.

Tels, I confirm the filer on both mirrors is spelt correctly, and when downloaded manually they come down fine, its just with the in-game downloaded the finle name corruption is happening. I have no idea how to fix this so can you take a look please.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Sorry for the late replay, but couldn't use the forum the last days due to it never loading except in rare cases.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

The problem lies on the server, and in the code.

The administration area lists the mission mod name as "broads.pk4":

post-144-0-83638100-1359114197_thumb.jpg

I'll make the code a bit smarter to strip such things out, but the probem should be correced on the server, too. I will do so later, for now I'm leaving it for testing.

Someone should also correct the decription and add a bold text that says that the mod name should not contain ".", or ".pk4" or anything like that. (I can't make that change, have no access to this).

Edit: The other mentioned missions also have similiar issues, f.i. using uppercase in the mode name. It might also be that this problem is the cause of the "cannot complete "mission", because if there are two entries in the mission DB, then one gets updated, and the other one used for display.

Someone should also correct the decription and add a bold text that says that the mod name should not contain ".", or ".pk4" or anything like that. (I can't make that change, have no access to this).

Edit: The other mentioned missions also have similiar issues, f.i. using uppercase in the mode name. It might also be that this problem is the cause of the "cannot complete "mission", because if there are two entries in the mission DB, then one gets updated, and the other one used for display.

I dont quite understand, are you saying the mod name should in the filed arrowed, should just be the name of the pk4 file without .pk4..? my mission business as usual works ok and I could have sworn that had a .pk4 in said field.

ANd I think I have access to do that, I will check when I get home.

Yes, the field should contains something like this:

broads
mymission
some_mission_here
whatever
vfat1

It should NOT contain:

broads.pk4
mymission_package.pk4
Some+mission+here
Whatever
VFAT1

Anyway, I fixed this bug in the code, so this should work now, regardless on whether the entries on the server get fixed, or not. I'll fix the entries, anyway, but the next time someone makes this mistake, it should still work.