The Dark Mod Forums

Potentially painful error?

ithel

This is more a TDM problem than a DarkRadiant problem, but it pertains strictly to mappers. It might also have to do with 1.08, I'm not sure.

Anyway, on TDM a few minutes ago, I decided to load up the mission I've been building (haven't done this since updating to 1.08. I noticed it was 101mb...and I clicked that "clean" button on the loader page after reading that it only deletes saved games, etc... This reduced the reported size to 256k. Hmm.... So now it doesn't load and dmap returns an error of file not found. I've hunted through the folders and the mission no longer seems to exist.

(Naturally I have a backup copy on my laptop at home, so there is no crisis here, just a headsup.) What is that button supposed to do, and is what I described it?

The clean button only deletes the savegames as far as I remember. Nothing important should be deleted. Where did you save your mission at? Normally it should be darkmod/maps and therefore not be affected by the clean operations, as the fms and the savegames are in darkmod/fms.

EDIT: Actually in 1.07 the missions where copied in the doom3 folder upon installment and clean deleted these copies. But since 1.08 this does not happen anymore. The only thing I can think of is that you accidently saved your map in an fm folder and clean somehow deleted those.

So in the sum I guess it deletes everything in the specific FM folder except the pk4 and the darkmod.txt

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Whooops! That really IS a rather serious TDM problem.

If you click "Clean", it will delete ALL files in the darkmod/fms/mymission folder, except the .PK4 and the darkmod.txt file. This means all scripts you wrote, all map files etc, everything is gone. (I just tried it with a testmission I worked on, made a backup before).

It doesn't really help that the text explaining what it does also talks about "doom3/yourfm.pk4 etc but this isn't how it works now.

The only way to avoid is:

* make regular backups

* create a second FM entry and work in this one

* never click "Cleanup"

I'm not sure what we can do about this, I guess it should at least ask again if you really want to delete .map, .script etc files that are usually only outside the PK4 if you are developing an FM.

Edit: There is also the problem that if you make a copy of "fms/myfm" to "fms/myfm2", you end up with two entries that are both named "My FanMission" in the menu, and you have not much chance to differentiate between these two.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The clean button only deletes the savegames as far as I remember. Nothing important should be deleted.

This button deletes everything in the darkmod/fms/mission folder except for pk4s, and the small number of files TDM extracts at installation (darkmod.txt, etc.)

If you're keeping all your WIP folders in there (dds, maps, textures, sounds, materials, xdata, etc.), you should never hit this button. Else they'll be goners.

So in the sum I guess it deletes everything in the specific FM folder except the pk4 and the darkmod.txt

At least it has been verified :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yes, except there is no pk4 left in my folder either. Anyway, like I said, the backup is at home, when I get there. :)

This might be because sometimes the code got confused what the name of the FM is (called "modName" in our code) and what the actual PK4 file is. The bug I fixed today might have caused too look into "fms/my_fm/" as "MyFM" and then delete "myfm.pk4" because it does not match "MyFm.pk4".

Anyway, pressung "Clear" is rather dangerous, and I guess that mappers should never used it, but instead delete files with their prefered file manager. That way you can be sure it deletes what you want.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax