The Houseguard

Corth

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

another wip shot. most of the work is done, only some details on the armour and the hands are missing or not completed. however I noticed some problems with the model in D3 - textures that fit together quite nice in the 3d apll don't fit in D3 and some uvw-mapping issues on the "sword-loop" - nothing important though.

post-5-1111159653.jpg

Edited by BlackThief

Looks excellent. And since we'll be swapping heads, we could use all kinds of heads, both with helmets and without.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

glad you like it :)

BT, would you be able to put the texture on the ftp? I'd like to see how this guy works all together.

Sorry for my inactivity for the last month, but it sucks to work on the computer with a broken hand :(

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

That head looks great! I somehow missed it before.

Getting this guy in game would be excellent.

BT, would you be able to put the texture on the ftp? I'd like to see how this guy works all together.

yes I'll upload it to the ftp. however there are two problems left:

1. the hands of the guy. the normalmap was extremely rough and it's hard to make a normalmap for a complex mesh like a hand with the nvidia plugin ;)

hg_hand.jpg

2. the shoes - the normalmap seems to be rendered different in doom3

as you can see they look ok in deepexploration:

hg_shoes.jpg

but in D3 the textures don't fit together:

hg_shoes2.jpg

btw seems like I forgot to make a screenshot of the latest textures ingame - here's it:

hg_ingame.jpg

PS while looking at the screenshot I noticed that I must have forgotten to enable antialiasing :blink:

Thanks BT, I'll look into those problems you mentioned. I might need to redo the normal for the boots, I didn't think D3 had that much trouble with broken UV's. I shall look into it!

You really got the effect of the soft stuff (whatever that white material is).  That's a normal map, right?

yes it's done with a normalmap.

My only critisism is that overall it looks a bit to clean and straight.  It needs roughening up, in terms of colours and maybe shape too.

I know what you mean - I overworked the texture a bit - roughed up the leather armour and made a new belt. I also added some detail to the sleeves, which makes the model look more interesting too (imho).

here's a high-res screen:

http://www.thedarkmod.de/intern_screens/hg_highres.jpg

while looking at it in doom3 I noticed another small problem:

hg_missing_faces.jpg

as you can see there're some faces missing, but I guess you can fix that in no time.

and it seems like the missing faces cause also the weird shadows.

• 2 weeks later...

:blink: ok, bit of a mixup, here's the newest normal map: DL

I changed the mesh on his back, so if that area looks messed up, it should be fine. The hands should be better, and I redid the layout of the UV's for the boots, so they should look better as well.

Edit: The model is in the rar file too, now.

Edited by Corth