The Dark Mod Forums

The Texture Reorganisation

Fingernail

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People submitting textures are going to have to make sure they have their own naming conventions, so we don't wind up with two people uploading a 'paganwall04.tga'.

I'll be adding 'sh_' to the beginning of all my textures to avoid this.

Won't that be a lot of work? There has to be a better way. What if I named them paganwallsh01? Then they'd be in the right spot.

I'm with Spar on this one to tell the truth. If you have any questions about the name just post on here and I can straighten you out on the current number list.

It wouldn't be much work to rename them either..really both ways are alright with me, but if I had to choose I'd say go with the regular naming scheme and ask if you have questions.

Why do we need a nametag? Before you submit a new texture, just sync with CVS and make sure that your name is not used yet.

Well, I find it a pain in the ass to have to name them one thing when I'm testing them on my system and then rename them and change the material file when I'm ready to upload.

What's wrong with adding an extra letter or two to the name? They stay in the same order, and don't have to be renamed by me OR anyone else. Makes the most sense to me.

There isn't any detrimental reason to do it that way, all it'd mean is that the wall textures are grouped together by name and author.

Go ahead and do it that way, it'd be a good way to organize the textures by those who made em as well...like little signatures.

What's wrong with adding an extra letter or two to the name? They stay in the same order, and don't have to be renamed by me OR anyone else. Makes the most sense to me.

The problem is, that this doesn't make sense for a user, only for us devs. Since textures are usually used by users it is not a good idea to organize them in a way that only make sense for developers.

Gerhard

I don't think it makes any difference to a user if it's

paganwall01

paganwall02

paganwall03

paganwall04

paganwall05

paganwall06

or,

paganwall01

paganwall01sh

paganwall02

paganwall02sh

paganwall03

paganwall04

They're not going to pick their textures by name anyway, it will be by the editor picture or trial and error.

Btw, is the new organization on CVS now?

I'm not being sarcastic here, so don't take it as such. :P

Since I like keeping all the textures grouped in themes and whatnot, I'm gonna start tagging my textures with ren at the end of them. Since I design in groups now, it'll be a good way to keep mine, BT's, and Spring's stuff from mixing.

Everyone alright with that?

The textures are not in CVS yet. I will do them as soon as I know that this is the final thing. If there are tings to be changed still, then there is no point in commiting them right now.

Since you (SH) proposed that nametag, I would like to know if there still need to be changes now before I commit.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to find the posts where it was being asked if the old textures have been removed yet, but haven't had any luck (from a few days ago). So I'll ask here some clarification: are ALL of the new textures, from now and this point forward, going to remain in /textures/darkmod/... ? So then, anything in /textures and NOT in /darkmod can/is to be deleted? I started to synch up yesterday with my "sync" copy (I keep two to try to prevent accidental contamination locally - a 56k measure), but found that the old texture structure is still there. I realize it will currently "break" old maps to delete them, but I'm wondering how long before they go? My other folder is currently 130 Mb of "new" (/textures/darkmod) textures, and 260(!) Mb of "old" (/textures/...). Just don't want to needlessly download 260 Mb across a 56k.

I see that other things that started updating (models for instance) have actually been removed locally? Neat, didn't know it could actually do that. And, good thing I do keep a separate copy. Yikes.

When you sync with CVS the old stuff is not deleted. This is rahter unfortunate IM, but I think it is the case.

The textures are still all in there for now. I would prefer to have them removed though, because breaking the maps can not really be the argument. The longer we wait, the more maps we will get and more is to be broken.

Gerhard

The longer we wait, the more maps we will get and more is to be broken.

Obviously people should be using the new textures for any new maps.

We can delete the old textures from cvs to avoid confusion, but people should keep them on their own system for now if they want to use the maps.

When you sync with CVS the old stuff is not deleted. This is rahter unfortunate IM, but I think it is the case.

Is that for sure? Because in trying to update, I'm getting told (this is from memory, I don't have CVS open right now) :

"file: darkmod\models\props\loot\plate1_d.tga no longer exists in the repository"

And then I check locally, and my "CVS-syncing" folder is empty......... yet the "working" copy of the folder (which is from an old update) contains the file. So it looks as if with regard to my sync folder, it's been removed. Yet it wasn't removed by me...

Cue creepy music?