The Dark Mod Forums

3rd person?

Kekshexe

Hello everyone,

I heard about TDM just yesterday from a friend, downloaded the whole night and startet playing today. I have not yet have finished a mission but am already missing something. Before you tear my head off or ban me from here please note, that I have no experience in game design or even programming. I am just asking a question without knowing how complicated this might be to implement.

Or maybe I just didn't find the right setting.

Is there a possibility to play this game in 3rd person view? (I used the search-option of this forum and am very sorry if there already is a thread discussing this matter)

The thing ist, I loved thief. And I am sure will love TDM, (although they are killing me on first attempt in the training mission right now). But I get motion sick quite easily. That is stupid, I know, but I can't help it except from playing in third person view.

If there is no way of changing that, I will just live with the problem of stopping to play every 10 minutes to not puke over my keyboard :D

cheers

This is already possible, however be warned that it is not something that is maintained or tested, if there are problems or things look strange, its really unlikely that they will be fixed. Third person is really just not supported.

However, you can try opening the console and putting in 'pm_thirdperson 1'.

If its completely unusable, it wouldn't surprise me :) But give it a try.

Yes it's technically possible. I vaguely recall seeing it in the early days, but I don't know if something changed since then. The biggest issue I recall with playing that way, aside from the obvious effect on gameplay since you can see more than the character can, is that the player character doesn't have many animations, so it doesn't look too great. But if you don't mind that, and 3P really floats your boat, then give it a try & tell us about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

TDM has 3rd person view? Since when? I had no idea about this. I prefer 1st person but am curious as to how this looks. Will check it out.

It's not a real third person view. It's a native doom 3 setting. Mainly just a third person view to allow you to see the marine model animations used for reflections in mirrors. There is also a model of the Thief character for use in reflections and you can move the camera back to view it. Like in Doom 3, you can run around but it's not a completed system, the animations are very basic.

Hey guys,

thanks for the numerous answers :D Though I have no clue where the console is to be found, I played a bit more in 1rst person view. It works better than eg Half Life, where the view "jumps" a lot. In TDM (I actually never played doom) it is actually okay for me to play in 1st person.

Alas, once I found the console I'll try 3rd person nevertheless

I put third person on a keybind. The example below uses,

KEYPAD 5 to toggle

KEYPAD 6/RIGHT for distance (change the number yourself between 100 to 800 til you like it)

Edit, Darkmod.cfg

Check if you are aready using the keypad, search for KP_5 and KP_RIGHT.

If you are not, then add the code below anywhere.

If you have those already, then maybe find a key you are not using yet and put it in the code below.

bind "KP_5" "toggle pm_thirdPerson"
bind "KP_RIGHTARROW" "pm_thirdPersonRange 500"