The Dark Mod Forums

Creating a random, timed conversation

Springheel

I'm trying to achieve something and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

I want to have two AI go into a room and do the following:

AI1: Speak a specific soundshader

AI2: Speak a specific soundshader

repeat this sequence endlessly until triggered (possibly based on a set amount of time).

Is there any way to do that? I guess basically I just want to cycle an animation over and over.

Huh, as I was typing this I thought of a possibility--what about the two AI going into a trigger_entityname trigger that triggers the conversation. As long as they stay in it the conversation should play over and over, correct? And then when I want it to end I could trigger something to teleport or destroy the first trigger?

Or it might be less taxing to use a trigger_timer to continuously fire the converation?

That would allow you to specify a "set amount of time" very easily too, and end the sequence just by turning it off, and letting them continue on paths.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

If there's any trouble with the trigger methods, this could be done with a very short script. The first test map and script I ever posted to this forum (queueing AI) does exactly this. The conversation calls the script which loops endlessly (keeping the conversation alive and repeating its actions) until a lever is thrown. I can strip that down to just the bit you'd need.

I would use a trigger timer if the AI are stationary in the area.

If the AI are roaming, you could use trigger_multi_entityname (or something like that). One AI stands still. Other AI patrols. When he hits the trigger close to the stationary guard, he deviates from his path to have a chat.

I've used this in Phrase_book, for example. The lockpick thugs and the mansion front-door guard.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Or it might be less taxing to use a trigger_timer to continuously fire the converation?

That would allow you to specify a "set amount of time" very easily too, and end the sequence just by turning it off, and letting them continue on paths.

Brilliant. Didn't even know there was such a thing. :)

Hmm, there's nothing that explains how to create a "set amount of time" with a trigger_timer. If I want the trigger to continuously fire for 10 minutes, how do I do that?

Set the "Delay" on a trigger_relay to turn it off after 600 seconds.

(So the entire setup would be a trigger_timer with "wait" set to the duration of the conversation, targeting the conversation. A trigger_relay triggered at the same time as the timer/conversation is first initiated, which turns off the timer when time is up.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

For future reference, here's how I did it.

1. Create a trigger_namedentity, with one of the AI as the named entity. It targets the conversation.

2. AI targets a pathnode inside the trigger. When they enter, the conversation starts.

3. A second trigger_once_namedentity targets a trigger relay, with a delay of 10 minutes.

4. Trigger relay targets a target_teleport, which teleports the trigger_named_entity away.

So the way it plays out is that AI walk into the trigger and start playing the conversation. Because they remain in the trigger after the conversation is done, it triggers again and the continues playing it over and over until 10 minutes are up. At that point the trigger is teleported away and the conversation is not restarted anymore. The AI continue to their next pathnode.