The Dark Mod Forums

Good video on level design

Moonbo

Here's a very good video dissecting the gameplay of a level in Half-Life 2. HL2 is a very different game from TDM, but the basic principles that Valve uses to keep the player engaged and thinking work just as well for FM makers and can help make your FM more alive. I got a lot out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEC45BH6w6I

• Like 2

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Maybe a matter of taste, but imho Half-Life 2 was one of the worst games in regardence to gameplay I've ever played. May watch the video anyway.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

A good video with a lot of important tidbits and also a number of them that I noticed as far as the "feeling" in different areas that are instilled in the player that the narrator didn't mention. Parts of the level and animations done to effect the player; make them feel "happy", "trepidatious", "fear", etc. I guess the important bit was that it was constantly changing which makes the player think and evokes different emotions.

A lot of good stuff and some things do apply in broad scope to general gameplay although for stealth game play vs. an fps, some of these things are altered or different. Still, some good things to pay attention to.

Edited by Lux

Coincidentally, the channel has a recent analysis of one of skacky's Quake maps, which offers some really interesting counterpoints. Irrational architecture, obscure (but optional) secrets, and a strong vertical element that results in non-standard situations and rewarding exploration. Check it out and see for yourself.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Interesting video.

Many things apply to TDM too. Keep the player in control. Give meaningful options how to approach things. Make sure the location has a story to tell. You should show the goal somehow and let the player know they are on the right track.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Very nice video with lots of different techniques that can be applied to TDM gameplay and level design.

I would love to see more use of sound cues and local problem solving/challenges in maps. Also, I don't think "point of no return" map designs are inherently negative to either gameplay or linearity, if used cleverly and in moderation.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

I would love to see more use of sound cues and local problem solving/challenges in maps.

These are often used in TDM. Near a secret passage, mappers often put air humming. Also, scratches on the floor are also a good sign to start looking that hidden lever.

Point of no returns are a bit bad in a TDM missions, where maps work in many directions, more like a simulation or a sandbox location than linear shooter. They do have their places, for example in those non-guarded entryways (flooded sewer and such)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

To be honest, I overall haven't played many maps due to 1: my lack of a good PC at home, and 2: my lack of a stable internet connection at the studio so I can download TDM and maps smoothly. :(

Though, I was mainly thinking of sound cues as a tool for immersion and story-telling rather than being used in gameplay situations. Like an echoing minor chord once you've reached location X, or a howling wind one-shot going off at the mouth of a cave, or something similar.
Sounds can be very useful for setting the mood and also to "reward" players by showing them they've made progress in the map.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik