The Dark Mod Forums

Health Potion

Fingernail

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the player should be slowed down as well. After all, it is pretty unbelievable that somebody gets a serious injury in the foot and then runs around just as fast as normal. So the player should be slowed down accordingly. If the feets are gone of course he would have to get down and use his arms to continue moving. That would provide a real challenge when he wants to shoot, but since we want it as realistic as possible that has to be endured and think of all the fun this would provide.

:lol: I've played games that did that, and I had fun. (not the crawling on your hands part, but the being slowed down when injured, bleeding to death until you apply first aid, and no health powerup whatsoever) Of course this was a multiplayer game, so you knew it was all happening to everyone. You knew if you put a bullet thru an enemy's body, they'd be at a distinct disadvantage too. Might not be as much fun in a single player game.

Sparhark always has total fallacies for arguments. THe lastest one is 'there's no point having some realism unless you make it 100% realistic'

I like the idea of having to use med supplies to stop your health deteriorating any furhtur rather than to recover your health. It'd work well in tandem with limited save slots to stop platyers just loading every time they get hit.

So when the player gets injured in a way that would casue bleeding, he continues to lose health slowly until he does something about it. Tjhere's no need to have him slowing down as well, the fact that he'll die if he doesn't get treatment is enough.

The one one problem might be if the player uses all the med suppiles on a level and then get's injured again and has no way to stop himself bleeding to death, in which case he'll just have to die and load his last save. That's the punishment for being no good and not staying out of trouble.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Sparhark always has total fallacies for arguments. THe lastest one  is 'there's no point having some realism unless you make it 100% realistic'

Isn't that your favourite approach?

I like the idea of having to use med supplies to stop your health deteriorating any furhtur rather than to recover your health. It'd work well in tandem with limited save slots to stop platyers just loading every time they get hit.

You should start thinking it through before you post. Exactly the opposite will happen, because what you achieve with it is, that the normal players will save more often in order to be able to reload and the hardcore player, who want to ghost anyway, will have no problem, because they tend to be more carefull anyway.

So your argument backfires exactly as the limited save. If you want players to be more carefull the GAMEPLAY must be made accordingly and not arbitrary limitations.

Gerhard

I think that only working towards the hardcore gamer audience may not be the best idea. Personally I dislike games that don't let you save because I lack the amazing skill of oddity and therefore actually tend to die when things are hard. In the same idea as that, making no health regain possible just makes it frustrating. You get injured at the begining play through the whole map only to find you can't get past a part with the health you have.

So I have to saty in one place and while I wait that the bandage does it's work I can go and drink some coffe, go to office,

Hey, if you can drink a coffee in twenty-five seconds (the absolute MAXIMUM time I proposed) then more power to you.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

The bottom line is. Waiting in a game is BORING! 25 seconds to wait in a game is LONG! Furthermore, what's the point of it? If the health powerup is delayed that it gives back the health over some time, like it was done in T1/T2 then it can not be exploited AND the user can continue playing without waiting. He just has to be carefull not to get caught in the meantime, but that would be the same as standing there and just waiting.

Gerhard

If that is what we're arguing about (I can't keep track of what's a serious suggestion vs a sarcastic suggestion anymore, my sarcasm meter overloaded), then I tend to agree that we shouldn't require the player to hold down the button while waiting.

Waiting without holding a button down is better IMO than waiting while holding a button down. You never know, maybe you'll have a muscle spasm IRL after doing this like 100 times in one time period, and accidentally let go of the button and waste your supplies. That would suck.

Random Story Time :) :

I once took a class in technical theater and ended up working the lights for one performance (nothing fancy since it only took one person to work them). They had kind've a crappy switch setup where if you wanted to turn the lights out fast, you had to anticipate it, press the button and then release it when you wanted the fast turn-off. I anticipated the end of scene a little too early, and ended up with my finger on the button, holding it down for about 2 minutes while waiting for the que, because if I let go it would have completely killed the lights at a very inappropriate time.

For the first minute or so of holding down the button, it was okay. Then the spasms started. I was seriously concerned that I would not be able to keep the button pressed, and was too afraid to try switching fingers because it was a small button and that might have released it. To my relief, I managed to hold the button until the proper time to kill the lights.

The moral of the story is: Holding buttons down for long periods of time, buttons that must be held or else the whole process will fail, is not fun.

I think you still get the gameplay effect from waiting without having to hold down the button. It will still be a tense waiting period, but you can do more stuff like look around and follow AI with your eyes, etc, without worrying about accidentally letting go of the button.

Edited by Ishtvan

I also would rather not have to hold a button down, or have to pause what I'm doing in order to heal. My reasoning is similar to our past discussions on why I don't want stamina. Seems to artificial to me (ruins immersion) for some reason.