The Dark Mod Forums

Please Assist With Gtk Radiant

Maximius

I downloaded the most recent version of GTK Rad but I cannot find any textures or anything. Do I have to download these separately? Secondly, the manuel is for an older version of GTK, its got some holes in it, is there an updated manuel available?

Thanks,

Max

One day on a long weekend is not long to wait in forum terms. I'm sure when they get back somebody who knows what GTK Rad is will be eager to help you since you were so pleasant about it. :rolleyes:

No one can help me with as simple as question as these two? Fucking pathetic.

lol, man..if they were such simple questions why haven't you figured them out yourself by now? Pretty pathetic you say? More like PRETTY FUCKING RUDE TO ME! OMG!

Anyway, I'm in a cheery mood right now so I'll go ahead and throw you a bone anyway. At the very least it might help someone out that isn't gonna come in here and front a 'tude.

I haven't used GTK Rad with Doom 3 yet, but I'm assuming that it isn't finding all your assets because you haven't led it to the D3 install folder. What did you do when you first installed it?

Im apologize Springheel, not my normal mode on a list Im a guest on, but 24 hits and not a single word for a clueless newb? GTKRad, my abbreviation, is GTKRadiant which is the editor, no?, the one I downloaded the other night from the Radiant website. There are no textures provided that I can find, and the manuel seems to be for some variant of the editor I have. So I have a textureless editor and a manual for a different editor and all I want is a +tiny+ bit of love from the list. At least you stopped to say I wasnt being clear about what GTKRad meant. I do not want anybody to delay their weekend plans for me, just four or five lines to help clear away my confusion.

I have very limited experience with GTK radiant, but what limited experience I do have suggests that you havn't set it up to find the textures of whatever Quake 3 engine game you plan to edit with. I tried GTK to play around with MoH, and found it to be a very awkward and unintuitive piece of software, with a very steep learning curve. If you don't have any Q3 engine games installed, you could try making your own texture set, not sure how you would do this. To my knowledge, GTK Radiant does not come with any textures, they are supplied by them game(s) you are editing. Doom 3 support for GTK radiant seems to be at the alpha stage at the moment, so don't expect too much, and I don't honestly think it would be any better than the native D3 editor (but I havn't used either, so that is a bit of a guess).

I would suggest that you go to the quaradiant website and see if you can post on their forums, I have a feeling that everyone here is either using the native D3 radiant, or have only used Dromed or UnrealEd if they have been messing about with Thievery.

Sorry, that's all I can tell you, unless you want to know about UnrealEd :(

I know they are simple question Renzatic but thats why I plastered 'Clueless Newb" all over it. I *hate* posting rude posts, right now my skin is all goose pimples, but I felt like I was getting a blow-off for asking a question on a list that seems as least partially intended to ask exactly such questions.

Thanks for that matter, I think you just answered my question, I dont own D3. It didnt occur to me that the assets couldnt be found elsewhere or downloaded separately, in fact I thought I saw things called "game packs" for a bunch ofgames but not D3. I assumed they were somewhere out there. And the manual is all wrong too, which is driving me absolutely batshit right now.

Yeah, I'd really recommend using D3Rad over GTK. Not only do you have a crapload more features that aren't supported yet in GTK, but it's alot more stable as well.

All you have to do to run D3R is make a 2nd shortcut to the Doom 3 executable, rightclick on it and go to properties, and in target enter +editor +set r_fullscreen 0 after doom3.exe. After that just doubleclick it and it'll take you into the editor.

I know they are simple question Renzatic but thats why I plastered 'Clueless Newb" all over it. I *hate* posting rude posts, right now my skin is all goose pimples, but I felt like I was getting a blow-off for asking a question on a list that seems as least partially intended to ask exactly such questions.

Nah, no one was giving you a cold shoulder..it's just been slow around here this weekend and no one has been around. Sometimes we'll respond pretty fast, sometimes not, but eventually we will respond. Just be patient and don't freak out about it next time. ;)

Thanks for that matter, I think you just answered my question, I dont own D3. It didnt occur to me that the assets couldnt be found elsewhere or downloaded separately, in fact I thought I saw things called "game packs" for a bunch ofgames but not D3. I assumed they were somewhere out there. And the manual is all wrong too, which is driving me absolutely batshit right now.

Well you can make your own assets and test em out in the editor, but if you wanna play with D3 stuff you'll have to have the game. I think the only game that requires you to download their textures to use it is Max Payne 2, the rest usually come along with the game ready to use.

Thanks obscurus, the puzzle is coming together for me, I had read somewhere in outer cyber space that GTK Radiants newest permutation was better than the one supplied with D3. I thought there were already textures either in the DL or in a seperate pack. Now I see those packs exist for other games, as you report D3s are in development. I have to go grab D3 to get started.

Ive been fighting with this forking editor for about four days, I didnt want to bother the list with bozo questions but I was totally stumped. I'm going down to the video game store tomorrow and scoring a copy of D3.

Nah, no one was giving you a cold shoulder..it's just been slow around here this weekend and no one has been around. Sometimes we'll respond pretty fast, sometimes not, but eventually we will respond. Just be patient and don't freak out about it next time. ;)

Thanks for explaining that, I assumed the worst only because in the past I've been on lists that treated newbies +hard+. Plus I've been trying to edit with a goddam skeleton program for the last week. Please note I certainly dont expect lightning service, you guys are too busy producing glorious miracles, but I thought I was getting the "treatment" for a bit.

Don't under ANY sircumstances use GTK Rad 1.5.0...

I have had 3 error crashes with it since I used it and I even had a whole MAP file completely dissappear. It is CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP....

Use the Doom3 editor, less buggy, but as anyone knows all editors have bugs.

Anyone remember the Dark Editor :rolleyes:

I think if you want to map under Linux you have to use GTK Radiant, because I think that Doomedit is not ported to Linux. To answer your question. I have some limited knowledge but nowhere near enough to answer your question. So you will notice 24 hits like mine, but what should I say? Sorry I can't answer. Really helpfull.

Gerhard

See I though GTK radiant was THE editor, so I was wondering why the heck no one could tell me where the textures were. Now I know it was actually a device designed by Satan to torture me personally. I'm going to buy D3 and work with it. By the way, did I mention how much I love the DarkMod gang :wub: ?