The Dark Mod Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice collection. Thank you for posting this. Everytime I play a new FM that looks fresh and stunning I hear the same vibes I heard years and years ago which kind of diminishes the "new adventure" feelings for me. I hope mappers will recognize your list, since I guess most of them just pick music from the standard list that opens in Dark Radiant.

Hopefully, hopefully these tracks will be put to use! Again, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I listened to a few and while they are very well produced and good quality, I feel that they are not really "ambient" enough for TDM background music. There's too much going on; too much melodic and harmonic development, dynamic contrasts and the like. Thieflike ambients are much more homogeneous — short loops of 30-60s which form a continous background which doesn't really change much (until you move into a new area and get a different ambient).

Maybe some mappers will find a use for these (perhaps as viktrola recordings or the music behind a briefing video), but of the few I tried, I couldn't really hear them as ongoing area-based background loops.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, SeriousToni said:

Very nice collection. Thank you for posting this. Everytime I play a new FM that looks fresh and stunning I hear the same vibes I heard years and years ago which kind of diminishes the "new adventure" feelings for me. I hope mappers will recognize your list, since I guess most of them just pick music from the standard list that opens in Dark Radiant.

Hopefully, hopefully these tracks will be put to use! Again, thank you!

My pleasure ! I wanted to do something like this for a long time.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:26 PM, OrbWeaver said:

I listened to a few and while they are very well produced and good quality, I feel that they are not really "ambient" enough for TDM background music. There's too much going on; too much melodic and harmonic development, dynamic contrasts and the like. Thieflike ambients are much more homogeneous — short loops of 30-60s which form a continous background which doesn't really change much (until you move into a new area and get a different ambient).

Maybe some mappers will find a use for these (perhaps as viktrola recordings or the music behind a briefing video), but of the few I tried, I couldn't really hear them as ongoing area-based background loops.

You make a lot of good points. That said, no one's required to use these, they can use or avoid them at their own leisure.

Additionally, some of our members - e.g. Airship Ballet - also made and contributed several home-brewn ambients of their's to the community already a few years ago. One TDM contributor even made a fairly detailed tutorial at how you can mix your own convincing ambient with the use of readily available open-source software. So, if MacLeod's ambients don't suffice for a mission builder, they can always use other ambients we've made ourselves, or the advice in that tutorial.

I try to keep the wiki updated and to always update useful info or list threads that can be useful to mission makers beyond the mere physical creation of the mission maps. I think I've covered the tutorial on the wiki as well. And if not, I can add it in the near future.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, Zerg Rush said:

I know this site, a lot of ambient sounds, which you can mix and download (mp3)

https://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php

Thank you, but this thread is reserved for MacLeod's music. Back when I made this thread, I also made the following one:

This is where you should recommend other ambient stuff and background music. Thanks !

• Like 1

Sorry, my mistake and yes, the page I put is only for personal use, I have not realized it.
But of course there are an infinity of generators of ambient sounds, both online and offline that offer loops and ambient sounds for free use, commercially included.

https://www.qwant.com/?q=royalty free ambient sound mixer&t=all

It is always helpful to have several alternatives on hand.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Thanks 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉