The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs to be cleaned up towards the center, it's obvious that the texture was flipped down the center and it looks a little weird.

believe me - it also looks like this in reality. take a look at the original photo: http://www.dark-project.com/BlackThief/furniture.jpg

I think 1024 are not necessary, but if it's possible, why loose quality ?

Renz - either make the diffuse or normal map smaller for the texture, depending on the texture. For instance - some detailed engraved wood should have a large diffuse and normal, but no specular is really required.

Similarly, a metal object should probably have a small diffuse, and larger specular and normal map, as it's less about colour and more about detail.

Okay, I've started resizing and once again have come to realise just how freakishly small everything is supposed to be in the game...

512x512 isn't a massive texture by UT2k4 standards....but Doom 3 shrinks everything down to an obscenely small size that we might as well reduce the sizes down to 256x256 just to make everything easier to fit...

Just check this out...

That's the actual size of the texture vs. how big it needs to be. An amazing difference if you ask me.

Edited by Renzatic

Lol. A perfect little hiding spot for our thief, having a shadow directly under a light like that. :D

I'm back from my trip to the castle with a bunch of photos.

The 1st texture is already on the ftp:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Textures/door2.jpg

@renz I don't think we should downsize the textures, just that they fit easier. IMO there won't be any problems with huge high-res textures, cauze

1. our mod will take some time and people will have even better hardware than today

2. HD space also shouldn't be a problem - today almost everybody has more than 100gb HD.

another texture from the castle - and I've to say, that I really love this door :D

I was walking into the castle and suddenly I saw this door. My first thought was something "Damn this door really rocks, this fits perfectly into the thiefworld" ;)

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Textures/massive-door.jpg

I hope you guys like it, as I do :)

edit: the knocker should be a seperate object ingame, or added to the door model.

Edited by BlackThief

If I had a whole suite of textures like this door I'd be able to whip up an awesome map in no time.

But as it is, this is what I have done so far...as you can see I'm taking my time with it.

The normalmapping process begins...slowly. I can also add in any other type of background so we can make multiple doors using this overlay. And yeah...I know...I took the handle out...I suck. Didn't wanna have to deal with it. :P

Fingernail: It's not bad so far, but your scale is off. Your windows should be about the same size as the door, if not smaller. I have a fairly good roof texture in the package you could use in place of that brick floor...it was one of the few I couldn't get to work so you'll have to screw with it to get it ingame.

Edit: Oh yeah! How could I forget my...GLOWY WINDOWS!!!

I'm beginning to think that fireplace looks like crap, too.

Edited by Renzatic

Wow, great start on the house, Fingernail. We need to find a good roof texture. The windows look awesome, but I agree with Ren that they're a bit too big. I love the skyline in the background though, where did you get that?

Ren: Your glowy windows look great. Are they supposed to act a light sources though? It looks like they should be casting some blue light around but it doesn't look like they are.

The glare effect bleeds out a bit, but for the most part the lights that make up the windows only work on the windows themselves. I wanted it that way so they'd stand out and I could check and see how they looked.

Once I tone it down it'll be a good moonlight effect. Similar to the shafts of light in Thief 3, but more vague and hazy.