The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my first texture sourced from one of your photos...

wall_ingame.jpg

I experimented with heightmaps a bit, turned out pretty alright...I still need to get into more complicated textures, though.

Oh, and here's the normal and the dither...I'll upload the actual TGA files to the FTP once I'm done tweaking and playing with it.

wall_dither.jpg

wall_local.jpg

Yeah, it wasn't all that hard to do either...all I did was change the background colors and delete individual bricks til I came up with this...

wall_heightmap.jpg

The normalmapper added the depth and made it perfect.

Oh, and I added a specular, improved the quality of the texture by quite a bit..

wall_specular.jpg

lol, don't ask. YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW!

Looking damn good, man. I'm impressed. ;)

I've started getting into the materials a bit more deeply over these last few days, and I've finally discovered the joys of heightmaps.

I used my most recently wall as an example since I already had a greyscale height on hand....and this is what I came up with.

heightmap.jpg

Doesn't look vastly different at first glance, but the sense of depth is a little better and the shadows seem to contour to it a bit more realistically.

I added this line to my bumpmap material to achieve it...addnormals blends heightmaps and normalmaps (or 2 normalmaps) together to achieve both a sense of depth and detail. I wanna get into more, but since the editor crashes or bugs the texture when I try something more spectacular out (even stuff I rip already proven to work perfectly) I'm stuck with the basics at the moment

bumpmap addnormals(textures/dark_mod/crypt/walls/stone/crypt_wall_stone02_local.tga, heightmap(textures/dark_mod/crypt/walls/stone/crypt_wall_stone02_h.tga, 25 ) )

Edit: The forum wrapped the text around...the bumpmap command above should all be on one string.

Edited by Renzatic

although the text wrapping shouldn't really matter.

So, who's up for parallax mapping? We could do it in a better way than the parallax mod, by using a separate heightmap image (does however bump up to 4 tgas per texture which uses it), instead of the blue channel of the normalmap method, which is unrealistic and dodgy.

Could look quite good on bricks and cobbles especially.

I dunno. Everytime I try to add "heightmap <map>" on a seperate string the editor starts reporting errors and won't display the texture in render mode. I've seen other material files on D3W that do it that way so I must be missing a step.

I'd love to see our own parallax map mod, but we gotta find someone that can write GLprogs to do it right. Spar might be able to, but he's already got alot on his shoulders already. Think Nex or Oof would be up to it?

• 1 month later...

credits to oDDity, who send me the link to this wallpaper-page :)

I made several versions of it - with similar colours like in Thief 2

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/screenshots/wp_testblue.jpg

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/screensho...p_testgreen.jpg

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/screenshots/wp_testrosa.jpg

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/screenshots/wp_testred.jpg

I'll upload them to Textures/Dark_Mod/Mansion/Walls/Wallpaper/

the files are Mansion_Wallpaper06a - Mansion_Wallpaper06d