The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

can u please upload the model and the normal oDDity ? :) I'd like to test some paintings with your model ingame. I included them also into my T2 FM, but they're highres enough (512pixels) for the mod.

here's an ingame shot of the paintings in my fm

http://www.dark-project.com/BlackThief/gallerie.jpg

hope that I'll be able to release it someday - it's already pretty huge and I've to be carefull with the limits of the dark engine....

Edited by BlackThief

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the link leads to a login page....

Strange because I can access it quite fine. I found it via google and I'm certinaly not registered there. :)

Well, here is the relevant part of that page but it is not authorative!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photographer's Copyright on artwork reproductions

Michael Greenhalgh has a very interesting webpage explaining Copyright on various types of Art Objects: There may be two copyrights: copyright in the artistic work (for example, a painting) and copyright in the photograph of the artistic work). You will generally need permission from the owner of copyright in the artistic work unless the copyright has expired. It is unlikely you need permission in relation to the photograph, if the photograph depicts nothing but the artistic work and is indistinguishable from other photographs of the same work. Otherwise, you will generally need permission from the owner of copyright in the photograph.

In other words, when someone photographs a painting of Van Gogh in a museum, producing a picture that is indistinguishable from other photographs of the same work, this cannot be considered an original art creation: it is precisely requested that the photographer annihilate his own personality to only mirror the artist's own personality and reflect the artwork with maximum fidelity through the photograph. Thus, the photographer does not hold any copyright on the picture itself.

Of course, the above can only be proven right by going into court and feeding an army of lawyers to nitpick over the interpretation of local laws. And even then, this would only apply to a specific country or jurisdiction, so it would have to be restarted all over again elsewhere. To be on the safe side, the WebMuseum requests that photographers contributing pictures to the WebMuseum agree to transfer all of their rights to the WebMuseum curator.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/about/copyright-issues.html

Gerhard

Well damn, these are looking far too good to go next to mine! :)

OK Spring, you want to do the picture and frames in this format, since that's the way I've UV mapped it. I can do a few different picture models of course.

Are the UV maps handy somewhere? Right now I have the textures done with all three material shaders applied, but it's just a brush. Obviously I can't slap a normal for one frame on the model for another and have it look right, so what do you suggest?

Currently they look like this:

paintings2.jpg

Btw, I have a great tapestry texture if you come up with a model for it. :)

OK, I upped the model and 2 skins. In DDS format since I'm still on this damn 56k and TGA's are 3.00 MB each.

SH- Just upload the images to the FTP and they can be used as skins for the picture model. I'll do one model portrait size and one landscape. Also a smaller one with a thinner frame. Combined with all the different paintings and frames that should be enough variety.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I know, but the diffuse and normal dds versions are only 500 kb, and the spec is 100kb, I suppose I could make them all 512x for the final game - that would mean a total of 300 kb per picture and 30 polys.

I have over 1500 MB system Ram and 256 on my graphics card, so I'm not naturally very considerate. :lol:

BT - the noamal map is called frame_local and it's definitely there.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I've made half a dozen different images based on your templates, oDDity. Were you going to make a landscape version?

painting2.jpg

painting3.jpg

I've been modifying the colours of the frame slightly for some variety. Once I have a dozen I'll upload them to the ftp site, but I'll need a landscape version for some of the pictures.

Hehe, it's not a problem, just turn the image around on it's side with the frame along the top or bottom and you've got you're landsacpe version)

It'll still fit the model just fine.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 2 weeks later...

oDDity, another question...just how does this image with only one part of the frame manage to skin the whole frame? I have a dozen paintings ready to go, but it just occurred to me that my colour changes to the frames may wreck something if it doesn't work the way I imagine it does.

old/new texture. I made this door texture some months ago. now I added it to the city-textures (already on CVS, so you can grab it)

Can we have some dirt on the street basement? It really looks excellent, but I think we should also include some dirt. Problem is, can this be done in some kind of generic way? So that dirt can be put easily on any texture, so we don't have to do dirt and clean variations. I think also the barrel could use this. Some moss or something like that. Or at least another variation with this, so it looks old and used and some are new like this.

Gerhard

Can we have some dirt on the street basement? It really looks excellent, but I think we should also include some dirt.

well actually the pavement isn't clean at all....I took this texture from a photosoure (took even the photo myself), so it looks just like a pavement in a city in RL.

but I have to tweak the normalmap of it anyway...I'm still not content, how it looks.

Sweet, those are really nice looking! :) Did you see my answer to your question about the rugs I mentioned? I was just talking about something very understated, plain - something that easily tiles without looking repeating, like those new 06a-06d wallpapers. Something like those for the floor in however many colors are possible would be extreeeemely useful!

While I'm making suggestions/requests - I've been building wooden stuff (stair railings, steps, specifically) and a good, no features, wood grain would be fantastic in dark and light. Do we have anything like that? I've been using the texture mansion_wall_trim03_d.tga, but to hide the detailing, I've had to stretch it a lot and it gets really washed out looking, so I've been itching for an alternative.

Can we have some dirt on the street basement?

Apparently, D3 already has a lot of dirt decals made, so it' just a matter of applying them to the floor/walls or whatever.

Sweet, those are really nice looking! :) Did you see my answer to your question about the rugs I mentioned? I was just talking about something very understated, plain - something that easily tiles without looking repeating, like those new 06a-06d wallpapers. Something like those for the floor in however many colors are possible would be extreeeemely useful!

While I'm making suggestions/requests - I've been building wooden stuff (stair railings, steps, specifically) and a good, no features, wood grain would be fantastic in dark and light. Do we have anything like that? I've been using the texture mansion_wall_trim03_d.tga, but to hide the detailing, I've had to stretch it a lot and it gets really washed out looking, so I've been itching for an alternative.

I remember the rugs you mentioned, however I didn't manage to create one yet....

regarding the wood grain - I have one, I already used it for the furniture - I just have to make it tileable ;)

Apparently, D3 already has a lot of dirt decals made, so it' just a matter of applying them to the floor/walls or whatever.

But aren't decals kind of expensive? I think I have to check how they really are working. Maybe we can do this by creating textures on the fly, so the engine doesn't have to combine them each frame.

Well, it's not THAT urgent of course.

Gerhard

oDDity, another question...just how does this image with only one part of the frame manage to skin the whole frame?  I have a dozen paintings ready to go, but it just occurred to me that my colour changes to the frames may wreck something if it doesn't work the way I imagine it does.

It's just the way I UV mapped it. The UVs from all four sides of the frame share the same space. As long as you us the same template it's work. The frame has to be the same thickness in every painting, thougnI could alter the model to make a thinner framed model as well.

Just turn the picture around sideways, so it's bottom is against the frame.

post-6-1104074070.jpg

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

dave - you've been looking for something like this ?

Specifically, I meant a floor in the same theme as mansion_wallpaper06d_d.tga (in whatever single colors you can manage, of course). Something very plain, understated, with the use of mapping for depth. But yes! What you made here will be quite useful too! :)

Edited by SneaksieDave