The Dark Mod Forums

My barberpole image is different between DR and DM

BlackMagic

in DarkRadiant my barber pole looks like this (using DX5 DDS image as a skin); but in DarkMod the stripes are sloped only a smidgen at top of pole and then vertical the rest of the way down. What am I missing? I can't figure this out

Clipboard01.jpg

barberpole.dds

Edited by BlackMagic
fixed the problem

I think we'd need to see the mesh and the UV map as well, in order to properly diagnose this issue. But it's quite likely it is a clamping issue, as LDAsh suggests. I wouldn't be surprised if you have "clamp" in your MTR file.

Note that if your texture doesn't use an alpha channel (and it seems this image doesn't), DXT5 is just a waste of space compared to DXT1.

Also this image doesn't tile properly and won't look good as a texture even if you solve the clamping issue.

image.png.edcfb3d93573c52d02f6fd26f2c02b96.png

fixed it -FINALLY. Turns out all I had to do was change the dds file name from barberpole to barberpole_tiling_1d and now it works. Have it attached to a func rotate so it just gives me giggles to se it turning around like the real thing.

here is the mtr content

textures/darkmod/custom/barberpole
{
    glass
    noselfshadow

qer_editorimage     textures/darkmod/signs/barberpole_ed
       diffusemap          models/darkmod/signs/barberpole_tiling_1d
}

And I have attached a prefab if you want to use/play with. I have this outside the doctors office, since the barber was often the surgeon in the old west.

barberpole.pfbx

Yah, dx5 was what I had it, thinking I might need transparency. Will change before mission release. (So many things to do! geeez) OH, I couldn't get a decent prism using DR so I put a skin on an existing pipe, then fiddled about with other pipe bits and topped it off with a globe. The gold may be a bit much. Should I change it to a translucent whit?

Edited by BlackMagic
more info