The Dark Mod Forums

Suggestion: Dynamic window animations

waxhead

I think a little dynamics to the windows (with light) on various buildings would add quite some life to the dark mod.

A first step might be to just simply animate the brightness of *some of* the window texture slightly and randomly +/- 5% or so to give the impression of a candle burning inside.

Windows that are close to rooms - for example a window next to a window that you can open could perhaps be enhanced by shadows moving inside (for example when a guard/person is moving by).

Not sure if this have been suggested before, or if this at all possible. Personally I think it would add a lot of life to the game and make it less static in places.

There are already flickering versions for a bunch of lit windows, which mappers can choose if they wish. IIRC I used them in Perilous Refuge for the ship windows and a certain house, but thought the effect would be too much if it were on all windows.

I don't think there's anything to simulate a shadow being cast onto the window from inside the house. The closest thing is switching the window to an unlit version when the corresponding light sources are exintinguished.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• nbohr1more

Was checking out old translation packs and decided to fire up TDM 1.07. Rightful Property with sub-20 FPS areas yay! ( same areas run at 180FPS with cranked eye candy on 2.12 )
      · 2 replies
    • taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 5 replies
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies