The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Ambient Musics & Sounds Repository

Dragofer

I'm happy we have a place like this for fans of unapologetically dark and moody atmosphere.

My family and a lot of friends are perpetually sunny and it makes me want to gag sometimes.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thank you for this awesome list! I hope some of them will be also packed into the next TDM update? :)

Thanks, and yes, I think good environmental sounds should find their way into the mod as they're generally short and having more varieties of these is objectively useful. For example, Gigagooga's ColdWind and CreepyWind were a godsend for one of the scenes I'm making where the winds we already have wouldn't have performed so well. And his draft sounds are a good complement to the wooden creaking sounds we already have for making desolate houses.

Ambients-wise, there's already a huge selection of over 200 different soundtracks in the mod, but there are also 100 missions now. Looking through this list there are a lot of custom ambients made for TDM or Thief so it would seem easy to extend TDM's ambients considerably, also considering that new ambients weigh little compared to textures.

A different option could be just to point mappers to where they can download custom ambients. Advantages I see in this are that the main TDM download stays smaller, the ambients list doesn't become overwhelming for new mappers and that it's easy to tell which ambients have been in use for the past 6 years and which ones are fresh.

I'm happy we have a place like this for fans of unapologetically dark and moody atmosphere.

My family and a lot of friends are perpetually sunny and it makes me want to gag sometimes.

Agreed, that's quite essential around here. By the way, do you remember the name of the ambient composer on Youtube you mentioned in a status update last year?

In other news:

Added Undeclared Ambient haunted_something_is_wrong_here. An ambient that's already in the mod but doesn't show up because it doesn't have a soundshader (fixed in 2.04). It's a unique, tense piece.

Added Uncle Peti's Sound Den

Listening to darkwinter.com's selection, so far music for trees has stood out to me, in particular #2 and #3 in that album.

• Like 1

Agreed, that's quite essential around here. By the way, do you remember the name of the ambient composer on Youtube you mentioned in a status update last year?

Yes, www.youtube.com/alacazam

And for future reference (so you or anyone else doesn't have to look this post up again), he's listed in the readme for my FM, Patently Dangerous. I used one of his ambients for my warehouse section ... with permission.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@demagogue, thanks I've added him to the list.

In the latest news, I've started making ambients as well :) (soundcloud)(edit: new tracks Tower, Threat and Wilderness)

Distant

Intent

Tower

Wilderness

Threat

Dropbox

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I just experimented a little bit and tried to recreate the atmosphere of the original Thief ambience. It is just a short experimental file though. What do you guys think?

Listen to it here...

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 6 months later...

I would be curious if players / mappers would like something like that: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CDFJGiKlME

It is just me testing if I can build some atmospheric tracks, people would love to use. Is it too boring / simple or would you say something of this kind would fit in a TDM mission?

Thanks for every opinion :)

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Thank you! Would you use this in a TDM mission? Could you listen to it over a longer time? Is it too short / do you mind the pause between beginning and end? Does it need more unique character?

EDIT: In comparison I've also made a more intense theme, which you could use for an inevitable fight (like the lich queen) - I don't know still if this is suitable for TDM. You can listen to it here: http://vocaroo.com/i/s19qx7PUsLEe

Edited by SeriousToni

Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear that :)

@TDMdevs: There is a royalty free ambient music repository here on purple planet

I contacted the author and he said the license allows using these files freely for The Dark Mod. It just needs to be credited in the credits music section if the files are added to the core mod. There are some pretty nice ambient tunes there with high quality IMHO. Every file has a sound description with its instruments used, so you don't have to go through every file. Also they can easily listened to and there is also a download button.

Edited by SeriousToni

@TDMdevs: There is a royalty free ambient music repository here on purple planet

Excellent find, this is exactly the kind of ambients repository I'm always looking for. From what I've listened so far it's clear that the tracks are for all kinds of games. There are also TDM-capable ones among them, which would be quite unique.

Recently I also found another great ambients collection on ttlg that's much like Gigagooga's, this one by sephy. It distinguishes itself from Gigagooga's by having mostly quite short ambient pieces and hits, which means it'd be very good for using a Thief1&2-style ambient setup like you find in Full Moon Fever.

On to your soundtracks:

- Soundtrack 1: This definitely conjures an image of a mage's tower, or space in my mind. Well done on the mystery aspect, in its current state this is already mission-grade. One thing I'm curious about is how it would sound if the higher pitched wave-formed sound were toned down or even left out, so that you'd have a more subtle version?

- Soundtrack 2: I quite like this one musically, for me this is an Arabian-exotic soundtrack. It'd be a great fit for an adventure game for sure (considered sending it to a game company?). In TDM I think the best use would be as credits music for an ambitious mission.

- Soundtrack 3: Another well-done musical piece. For most scenarios in TDM I think it'd be a bit too much in the foreground - might be because of the piano? Maybe it could become better suited for a mission if the piano were less present.

Now, if I could make a request, if you could make a solitary-type ambient that draws elements from:

- OldChurchLoop from sephy's work

- solitary_theme from TDM's existing ambients

- factory_distant from TDM's existing ambients (default volume is rather quiet)

- haunted_something_is_wrong_here from TDM's existing ambients (no shader exists for it in TDM 2.04, so you must either manually open the sound .pk4's or create a shader like the one in this thread)

- possibly also my Distant if it serves as inspiration

Then I would at once become your greatest fan. Such tracks are rare, and I cherish them.

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 2

First of all I am glad you could find some inspiration / useful ambiences on purple planet. I also find them very high quality made and the guys behind this seem to be very friendly and enthusiastic at least from the e-mail exchange I had with them.

Second thank you for your review on the three files, I think you are definitely right and will look if I can adapt the files to make them fit better. I also must say I've listened to your soundtracks before and I found them very well produced and they would be a useful addition to the mod imho. So great work there!

For your request I see what I can do as soon as I find some time, but I would be glad to help you of course.

But the stated examples differ in their tone and feel. What theme did you have in mind? Something more subtle like the factory and the haunted track or something with bright and clear instruments like solitary or churchloop? Should it be a track that fits a concrete theme like church, horror or industries? Or something open like your track distant?

Not to forget, I'm still open for feedback from other users as well. So if you listened to the tracks, feel free to comment! :)

• Like 2

For your request I see what I can do as soon as I find some time, but I would be glad to help you of course.

But the stated examples differ in their tone and feel. What theme did you have in mind? Something more subtle like the factory and the haunted track or something with bright and clear instruments like solitary or churchloop? Should it be a track that fits a concrete theme like church, horror or industries? Or something open like your track distant?

Not to forget, I'm still open for feedback from other users as well. So if you listened to the tracks, feel free to comment! :)

They are indeed dissimilar in some ways, but what they have in common is that they're suited for remote and solitary locations. The setting that I specifically had in mind was a grey and rocky bay along the shores of Newfoundland, the very sparsely populated land mass on the other side of the ocean. You'd find nothing but a weathered fishing settlement with decaying ships, and on a cliff somewhere above a lighthouse. Somewhere, quite a ways off the shore, a mysterious ship has laid anchor.

So much for the setting, on to the ambients. They all use long drawn-out tunes as their basis, which I think is key to their sense of isolation. Some of them also have moments of silence. Besides that I have no more specifics or a particular track that I'd like you to emulate: simply just something that captures the feeling of being on your own in that setting.

• Like 1

Okay thank you for the help on the details, that brought me much more further :) I put together an ambience based on your statements - please tell me what you think: Solitary Theme 1A

• Like 1

Okay thank you for the help on the details, that brought me much more further :) I put together an ambience based on your statements - please tell me what you think: Solitary Theme 1A

Very good, this is definitely on the right note and quite unique as well. For me this is an interior sound.

My feedback is that the recurring sound of about 5s duration seems to be quite noticeably played in reverse which makes the sound feel like it stumbles at the end every time. If you could smoothen that out it'd most likely be TDM-ready.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Worthwhile to add another TTLG source here, permissions to use it can be asked if the author answers:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121785

And some peaks for what's it all about:

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 2

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread now.

A typical problem for me when I choose ambient musics for my mission is that there are many songs to look at, they are rather slow to listen and to analyze. Thus I've simply familiarized myself with just a few songs that come with the core mod and stick to them.

This is maybe a bit boring and I would like to expand my music pallette, but I cannot because I do not have the time to both map AND listen a lot of ambient musics and try to categorize them.

Some people seem to like to listen them... could we use this somehow to assist mappers?

Would it be a good idea to build a "FM location->song" kind of information repository? When people listen to ambients and find particular ambient from a certain site/package and feel it would fit a manor, church, or graveyard, they would then post their findings for the mappers to discover.

The format could be like

Manor ambients:

Site, collection name, link, song name

If mostly high quality songs would be added, that would give the mappers a nice shortcut, because they are guided towards the good stuff and they do not need to spend a lot of time to filter through the mediocrity. If the mapper is looking for an ambient fitting for they manor setting, they would have a nice set of recommended tracks at hand.
  • Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Interesting to see this thread bumped. I literally just posted a dark ambient a few minutes ago.

Ok, hours by now, but still...

https://soundcloud.com/user9513654/and-when-i-looked-up-they-were-already-gone

I almost forgot that TDM folks are also interested in this kind of thing.

I think mine may be a bit short for an FM ambient. It's got drone and static, so would be fit for some place where reality is "glitching" a bit, like climax-approaching areas. But also forelorn, so "lost" places that haven't seen human contact, or something bad went down there in ancient history.

I'll keep your advice to tag ambients good for FMs & their uses for future reference.

• Like 1

Would it be a good idea to build a "FM location->song" kind of information repository? When people listen to ambients and find particular ambient from a certain site/package and feel it would fit a manor, church, or graveyard, they would then post their findings for the mappers to discover.

The format could be like

Manor ambients:

Site, collection name, link, song name

If mostly high quality songs would be added, that would give the mappers a nice shortcut, because they are guided towards the good stuff and they do not need to spend a lot of time to filter through the mediocrity. If the mapper is looking for an ambient fitting for they manor setting, they would have a nice set of recommended tracks at hand.

This doesn't make much sense, as music can convey more general impression: dread, relief, sadness, etc. This is not limited to a certain location type. It might be useful for local ambient sounds that are location-specific, like pub, church or forest.

Edited by Judith