The Dark Mod Forums

Gypsies

kfmccall

Er...I don't think there were ever any plans for gypsies. Ren said he'd like the urban pagans to be somewhat gypsy-like in their appearance, but that's about it. I know you've said you enjoy doing these sketches for their own sake, and I certainly enjoy seeing them, but you can always check with me ahead of time if you want to be sure you're doing a concept we actually need. :)

These two are both very interesting on their own, but I don't think they fit the setting very well. I doubt bare-breasted women would be tolerated in the city, and don't let Ren try to tell you otherwise. ;) The second one has some potential as a female mage concept with a few modifications.

Also, if I can make a suggestion for future sketches--give some thought to the modeling involved when you create a character. Both of these concepts would be very difficult to model with all the flowing robes and garlands.

There are no bare breasts there, if you look properly. But I was going to comment on the clothing being far too "shrink-wrapped" around the breasts.

Yeah we should keep flowing hair and clothing down to a minimum. You can get away with it with animation, but the more flowy it needs to be the more fake it will look. So maybe a long fairly straight cloak, but not lots of long thin bits of material.

I think it doesn't really matter if the concept has to many cloths or such. After all they are concepts. The actual model doesn't need to be a 1:1 copy of the concept. And it is IMO much better to have a more detailed concept to give the modeler some room. When you look at professional concept drawings they are also way beyond what could be used ingame.

Gerhard

I think it doesn't really matter if the concept has to many cloths or such. After all they are concepts. The actual model doesn't need to be a 1:1 copy of the concept. And it is IMO much better to have a more detailed concept to give the modeler some room. When you look at professional concept drawings they are also way beyond what could be used ingame.

That's true, concepts don't turn out nearly as good if you place limits on your drawing before you even start brainstorming.

There are no bare breasts there, if you look properly. But I was going to comment on the clothing being far too "shrink-wrapped" around the breasts.

Ah, I see what you mean.

And it is IMO much better to have a more detailed concept to give the modeler some room. When you look at professional concept drawings they are also way beyond what could be used ingame.

Depends whether it is concept art meant to define characters' appearances, or 'mood' art meant to inspire ideas.

concepts don't turn out nearly as good if you place limits on your drawing before you even start brainstorming.

True, it makes it harder on the artist, but easier on the modeler. Though with the talent of our modelers maybe that's not so necessary. B)