The Dark Mod Forums

Inhabitants

kfmccall

These are much better...you definitely can see the historical influence. And they're excellent concepts on their own...they both communicate a lot about the personality of the characters as well as the costume.

They might be just a tad too Victorian though...if you look at the other character concepts and our models, they're more late medieval, with just a few Victorian effects (a collar here, a pocket there). I think the top-hats would look a touch out of place surrounded by medieval-looking guards. For everything but the Inventors, which are more Victorian-looking, I've been sticking to the 16th-18th C for inspiration, with poorer character types wearing earlier, simpler fashions. It's not a hard and fast rule, but we want townsfolk to look fairly homogenous (unlike unique fashions like Inventors or Mages, who can look vastly different from most people).

As for other townsfolk we need:

beggar -- ragged clothing, perhaps missing a limb

shopkeeper -- simple clothing with an apron

fortune-teller -- old crone, who could fill the role of pagan fortune-teller, witch, or female mage

That's actually quite cool and fits the setting very well. :) Unfortunately, we already have a forger model that is pretty close to this. Man, you're going to be able to create quite a portfolio out of these though! :)

I don't need concepts for the general public anyway. I prefer to model from real phootograpic references where possible, and there are a lot of costume websites showing this kind of stuff.

Why don't you try your hand at some steampunk bots, it'll be interesting to see what oyu come up with.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

should I draw them in the likeness of the bots here?

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/conce...-mechbeast2.jpg

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/conce...-mechbeast3.jpg

And other than the head, I can't really tell what this would look like.

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/conce...-mechbeast1.jpg

Could you give me the actions and purpose that the bots serve? If i had some details on why they were created or what they did in the game it would be easier to start the concepts.

Yes, you can take inspiration from those of course, but I wouldn't say copy them.

We need a worker bot, a sentry bot, a combat bot and a spider bot. Also security cameras like the watchers from T2.

THey are constructed by the mad inventors so don't feel too restricted. THey would come up with some pretty weird contraptions I'm sure, but they essentially have to be functional.

I do like the idea of having a more of bipedal bot like in the third convept there, I think that culd maybe be the worker. A kind of a servant for the inventors. THe sentry bots task is obvious, it patrols around looking and listening for trouble and then sets of an alarm which brings the big combat bots out to seek and destroy the player.

The spider bots are a kind of sentry, worker and attack bot rolled into one. They can climb walls and ceilings, crawl into machines to repair them, and shoot crossbow bolts at he player if they see him.

We talked about all sorts of attacks for them, like flamethrowers, releasing posion gas, firebombs, a melee attack, shooting arrows, etc

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Use those bots for inspiration, but feel free to be as creative as you like on these ones...there's really no historical precendent, and we don't need to stick very closely to the Thief versions.

The bots are made by a guild of inventors/engineers/scientists. They are primarily designed to fill the role of sentries or guards. They run on steam technology, so they should have room for boilers, steam-pipes, etc. Try to avoid making them look futuristic or sci-fi. They should be small enough to fit through regular doorways for the most part.

A couple relevant threads:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2153&hl=bots

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=1483

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=1770&hl=bots

I don't think there are many monsters needed, especially since Doom comes with so many for FM authors to choose from already. We might include a couple pagan creatures--like mantis-men, wolfweres, or something like that, but not until after the first release.