The Dark Mod Forums

Picked Up Farcry

Maximius

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im almost finished with FarCry so I thought Id grade it and get all your opinions.

Overall, I give it a B+/A-. Its was a lot of fun, the outdoor scenery was incredible, its the first FPS with outdoor action that actually made me feel I was outdoors. The indoor sequences were pretty good too, I know some here thought it was a "corridor crawl" and thats true to a degree but I still had a lot of fun fighting my way through.

The AI were pretty tough. I would have liked to have seen more grenade use by the mercs, as well as ladder climbing. They did use the vehicles effectively, at one point I killed a hummer squad only to have a third merc sneak up behind me, jump in the vehicle and run me over. The mutants were not the best idea in the world, a little dumb looking compared to the rest of the AI, but they still pulled it off. BTW, is this the "Island of Dr. Moreau" or what? The snipers bugged me a little though, I could see that they could see me at a certain distance but they would not start firing until I got closer. I could snipe them, so it unbalanced their effectiveness.

The merc conversations were pretty good too, but I thought they could have been improved in one or two ways. For one thing, you dont say "I dont know what that was and I dont care!" or "Not my problem!" when a grenade goes off 30 feet away. A nade going off 30 feet away IS your problem. Nor does a merc shout "You're going down!" to a slobbering monkey mutant who is charging you, you scream mindlessly and shoot the fucker. I thought that they could have worked the merc commentary to a bit of a finer degree, but this is of course nit-picking.

The physics were really cool. one time I tossed a nade into a room and when it blew up, it sent a merc through the air, smashed him into a shelf of crap which toppled over spilling its contents, and he lay on top of it sprawled like a rag doll. Another time I was being pursued by a patrol boat, I turned my turrent around and started returning fire and after a few seconds of exchange the gunner pin wheeled off the back of the boat into the water. It looked like a scene from an action flick. Yet a third time I pushed some barrels down a slope, they rolled right over two dudes and flattened them. Fun!

I did NOT like the "detection meter" thingy. I found it mostly useless, it was either too late, it went red around the time bullets started flying or too early, it was like an ESP that told me something was watching me when I didnt even know it. I would have much preferred a light gem like thing, to tell me my relative level of exposure and let me use that to navigate the terrain. I LOVED the rock tossing thing though, what a common sense, low tech way to distract or attract guards! Love it!

The weapons were pretty cool too. Each was useful in its own way, with the exception of the pistol which I found mostly useful only to conserve rifle rounds early on. The shotgun was a real treat, I mowed down legions of AIs with it, usually with a flash nade into a room and then the scattergun! The MP5 navy (i think) the silenced sub machine was nicely balanced, only a 9mm so its not overpowering but the silencer made it very useful. The best was the assault rifle with the grenade launcher attached, that thing simply kicked ass. I also like the limitations to carrying weapons, I would have made it even tougher by making the player able to carry only 3 weapons if one was the rocket launcher but thats just me. The vehicles and turrent weapons were both fun to use and useful, I cleared out a lot of indoor AIs but leading them back to a point where I could jump into a machine gun nest.

Overall, a really good game, i recommend it and I cant wait to mess with the editor a bit.

Its not as bad a slog as D3 was, that much is for sure. One of the things I liked as well was the ability to simply walk past enemies, whereas it seemed in D3 the player was constantly forced to confront every AI in the place. In some areas, I simply crept past the bad guys to conserve ammo/save time. Did you quit because you were getting bored with it like you did with DUUM 3?

FarCry got on my nerves with the save system and 4 weapons. At the beginning it was OK, but after crabs showed up i dropped it...

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

FarCry got on my nerves when I was in the jeep and it auto-saved when I was low on energy and so I kept dying. At least I think this is what happened. Regardless, I stopped playing it because I didn't have the patience to get by a certain area that I kept dying in.

Crabs are those monsters.

I don't mind limited weapon system, but when it's done right! Those weapons are mostly the same, and pistol and knife should be in a separate area! Or then I have 2 slots taken pernamently by rifle and launcher, so in SMG I have only Uzi and M16.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

Question for you maximus, what does the lazy weapon option do? I was able to turn the crosshair off in the .ini file.

All it does AFAIK is make your weapon bob and drift a little when you are sitting around in the game. Its just to add a touch of realism I think, doesnt impact gameplay.

FarCry got on my nerves with the save system and 4 weapons. At the beginning it was OK, but after crabs showed up i dropped it...

The "crabs" are the smallest of the TriGens. WHen you get to the end, there are at least two other kinds, one carrys an assault rifle like the mercs and the others are these rocket firing monstrosities that can take a shit load of damage. The big ones are stupid and clumsy though, I killed a few with the old Thief trick that used to wipe out the Mechanist tanks. Hide halfway around a corner in a doorway and let the tank start shooting, the rocket hits the wall and damages only the tank itself. I got two more by running along the edge of a cliff, they tried to follow my path and slipped off the edge into the water. I thought the mutants were a little stupid but overall they were still pretty fun to play against.

The Tanks will knock stuff out of their way if its blocking them, last night two Tanks and a crab were tangled up in a group and the Tank whacked the Crab halfway across the field to get it out of his way.

They do look a little crabby though. I liked the limited weapons too, and I also like the breath meter. What sucked though was when you lost health from drowning and it would not come back, thats unrealistic.

How is that unrealistic exactly? Too much water intake can cause damage to the body that doesn't just go away by spitting out the water.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

How is that unrealistic exactly? Too much water intake can cause damage to the body that doesn't just go away by spitting out the water.

I didnt think that the damage was from water inhalation, that would make sense. I am used to the life meter being the last few breaths, not permanent damage from the lack of it.

I didnt think that the damage was from water inhalation, that would make sense. I am used to the life meter being the last few breaths, not permanent damage from the lack of it.

I don't understand that last sentence. Could you be more specific?

Ok I think I see what you mean now. If you were losing health from drowning, then the breath meter would not come back or reduce in overall capacity. That infers that the drowning causes permanent lung damage that's not recoverable, causing dimished lung capacity.

Am I right?

I don't understand that last sentence. Could you be more specific?

IIRC in Thief as you ran out of breath, your life meter would drop but it would recover if you surfaced in time. I always read this as the player using his last few breaths, so it made sense that they returned. I guess I was assuming something similar would happen in FC, that the red meter would be your last few seconds but recoverable.

yeah, i played the game to the finish too. the end level is fucken gay as, sooooooo many enemies. i played on expert btw.

however, the second last boss (that crazy doctor guy) was fucking hard. well, the last boss (the scientist who told you to take the vaccine when it was really the disease thing) was fucking easy, a single grenade and he's dead. he has an m203 thing tho so watch out.

but yeah, i kinda liked that, it wasnt no bullshit "i am a man, but because i am a boss i take 100000000000000 rounds of an m16 to fall" like that.

but yeah, i really enjoyed the game, from start to finish. some levels were gay tho.