The Dark Mod Forums

A Lil Update...

Slash

been a month now since last update :(. im dieing to see how much ferther you guys are on the dark mod. i saw a article about the dark mod in a computer gaming mag a while back. looks like this mod has alot of eyes on it. i have more questions ( as if you dont get enough ) and a suggestion.

i asked this a long time ago but ill ask it again to get a update on it. from a scale of 1% - 100% how fare would you say the dark mod is? close to maybe a beta 0.01, 0.1, 1.0? (0.0000000000000000001/2 :) )

is there a posibility we will have it any where neer christmass? and hows it going in general. i know there isnt much to look at on the site but what there is, it is amazing.

Are you shooting for a sertain release date? xx/xx/xx

i think that there should be news updates every two weeks. anything. just little updates to let us all know whats going on. it sucks when you go on and theres nothing for a month. it would keep everyone coming back more often. just a suggestion you guys are running this show. your proly realy buissy with life and this so its just something to think about.

Keep up the amazing work guys. i look forword to seeing more of it.

been a month now since last update :(. im dieing to see how much ferther you guys are on the dark mod. i saw a article about the dark mod in a computer gaming mag a while back. looks like this mod has alot of eyes on it. i have more questions ( as if you dont get enough ) and a suggestion.

i asked this a long time ago but ill ask it again to get a update on it. from a scale of 1% - 100% how fare would you say the dark mod is? close to maybe a beta 0.01, 0.1, 1.0? (0.0000000000000000001/2 :) )

is there a posibility we will have it any where neer christmass?

Please say you're joking. :) No, you won't see any public Beta by christmas. We have only been working for a little over a year, this is a total conversion of Doom 3. It takes time....lots of time. If I were to give an estimate...a generous one might be 25% finished.

and hows it going in general. i know there isnt much to look at on the site but what there is, it is amazing.

Are you shooting for a sertain release date? xx/xx/xx

Nope, no absolute release dates. We might see something that will be suitable for public release by late 2006 but even then, it still won't be complete. There will be much tweaking and testing to do.

i think that there should be news updates every two weeks. anything. just little updates to let us all know whats going on. it sucks when you go on and theres nothing for a month. it would keep everyone coming back more often. just a suggestion you guys are running this show. your proly realy buissy with life and this so its just something to think about.

Well, we try to update when there is someting to update about. Sometimes things happen quickly...other times not. Bi-weekly updates sometimes happen but they're not a rule. Sorry, but we'll just have to keep you on pins and needles. ;) We're mean like that.

Keep up the amazing work guys. i look forword to seeing more of it.

Thanks. We can't wait to have more to show everyone. It's exciting for us too.

Thanks for the kind words Slash :)

About the release date - i'm not sure exactly when, but i'm quite sure it won't be this christmas. However, i can assure you that everything is going according to plan, that is, we are getting done what we plan for each milestone. About news updates - it's updated every month or so with more "big" stuff such as the sound prop ingame etc, but if we announced every little thing such as rope arrow model changed a bit, then the news thread would be clogged with small updates and people could'nt keep track. So don't worry, its updated regularly, and if it misses a month or so, there's a reason for it ;)

About mod percentage done - umm.. my guess would be about 20-25% done, though thats me, others would probably say different. Anyways, enough from me.

EDIT: LOL, NH beat me to it

The longer you make it, the better it will be, except if it won't turn into Dark Mod Forever!

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

Well, we try to update when there is someting to update about. Sometimes things happen quickly...other times not.

And sometimes the team just like to keep things a secret for a while. There are differing philophies on this, but it's just the way it works sometimes.

I know how it can be frustrating to see only a few updates here and there, though. For example, I thought T2X was a dead project after not seeing any updates for a long time. And I was bummed by the thought of it not launching. But they eventually released their mod.

I think we try to find a good balance here.

I wish the mod/toolset could be ready by Christmas, but yeah ~ it'll be a while. Try to hang in there...

I hate how games I want to play take years to make.

We agreed tpo update at least once a month. Less is not usefull because we don't always have such big steps within a month, and on some parts even a month is not enough. But we agreed to once a month because we know the feeling that you look at a webpage which hasn't been updated in half a year, and you wonder wether the project is already dead or not, which would not be a surprise for fanprprojects either. I think 20-25% is a pretty good estimate right now.

And just to give you something to think about. We have already seen some REALLY excellent maps done by our own mappers and some by our beta mappers. So I guess, once the project is ready for release, there should be at the very least a few playable maps as well.

Gerhard

Thx for the fast replys guys.

About news updates - it's updated every month or so with more "big" stuff such as the sound prop ingame etc, but if we announced every little thing such as rope arrow model changed a bit, then the news thread would be clogged with small updates and people could'nt keep track

Thats true. i didnt look at it that way. and sometimes no matter how bad you want to know everything its best to not know. just keep us up to date every once and a while.

I saw the three arrow drawings - the moss, water, and fire. So can that fire arrow ignite? And in Thief Dark Project the water arrows are supposed to turn of light, but I shot at lanterns - doesn't help. ANd what does moss do?

May the Abyss rule!

Yeah, water ones are usefull, I almost used all of them on the first level - they really are a sack of water tied to an arrow, aren't they? Cool invention. You can make yourself a dark corner...

May the Abyss rule!

Especially duped in holy water. If you can find a zombie in the next 30 seconds. Fortunately, I got myself a sack of water arrows.

May the Abyss rule!

Anyhow... the manual and FAQs around the place will help you heXen, so back onto the topic of the Darkmod, not Thief Gold, if that's okay.

I can understand your confusion though, if a few electric lights had lose wiring in the Dark Mod you could implement shorting out, even if it was only for a minute until the water dries out. Or maybe longer as you really bugger up some high current wires. All I know is I spilled water on my remote control and it turned the TV off (standby) again and again when the remote faced the telly, until it dried....