The Dark Mod Forums

Types Of Weapons We Can Expect?

AtariThief

OK, I'm just lazy and don't really care...

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reasons why i was suggesting that a noise arrow will leave a guard unawares that it was a distraction, is that there's either a magical property to the arrow that has that effect, or some sort of chemical that the guard picks up on and just blindly goes to the source. could also make noise maker arrows make a hell of alot more noise, you shoot it and upon hitting it makes a god awful screeching racket that should get the attention of alot of guards, if you or a guard is close enough, an effect not unlike battlefield 2 where when an explosion happens near by you loose your hearing for a small period of time. Everything would be muffled quite a bit and a high pitched whine over the speakers.

Which could be a different arrow all together that works just like i said above, the arrow hits and any guard within a certain radius has an inexplicable attraction to the impact site, and does their best to get to it as quickly as they can.

Ombrenuit, its about variety, and they are being designed to add to the game. Not everyone wants to play it like how you do, not everyone can play it that way. I can't play through thief on anything higher than easy, but i don't really want to, I like a challenge but i don't like a rediculous challenge.

This is the problem facing game developers now, the 'hardcore' lot want harder and more skill intensive games, ie stuff that rewards them as people who put a huge amount of time into their gaming. But that will scare away the majority of gamers who only play casually, for fun and not for the challenge. The fun comes from using these various arrows, and discovering all sorts of new things in the game world, IMO the thief game was as much about discovering things as it was about sneaking about.

Either way the stuff we come up with don't necessarily have to be used, but ideas spawn other ideas and something said here might inspire the team members into coming up with something new.

Edited by DopeFishhh

It seems to me that if a guard hears a noise and goes to in vestigate and finds some funky arrow laying on the ground, he'll know somebody's bamboozled him. If he sees a pebble, then maybe- maybe not, depending on whether or not there's likely to be a pebble already there in the first place. The arrow will be loud and probably alert multiple guards, where a pebble or rock would be more stealthy and rouse the suspicions of 1 maybe 2 guards if they're both close.

This is the problem facing game developers now, the 'hardcore' lot want harder and more skill intensive games, ie stuff that rewards them as people who put a huge amount of time into their gaming. But that will scare away the majority of gamers who only play casually, for fun and not for the challenge. The fun comes from using these various arrows, and discovering all sorts of new things in the game world, IMO the thief game was as much about discovering things as it was about sneaking about.

I agree with you in a general sense, but you have to remember that this mod is being made by and for pretty hardcore Thief players who didn't like Thief DS because they felt it was watered down to meed the needs of more casual gamers. I don't mean to speak for the team here (which I'm not part of), but that's my feelings and the general attitude I've gotten here and over at ttlg.

This is the problem facing game developers now, the 'hardcore' lot want harder and more skill intensive games, ie stuff that rewards them as people who put a huge amount of time into their gaming. But that will scare away the majority of gamers who only play casually, for fun and not for the challenge.
There is a single sentence answer to that conundrum: That's what multiple difficulty levels are for.

Make an easy difficulty that poses no challenge to anybody, and a very hard difficulty that not even the game designers can beat.

Either way the stuff we come up with don't necessarily have to be used, but ideas spawn other ideas and something said here might inspire the team members into coming up with something new.

That is exactly why I like fun discussions, and thinking outside the box. You never know if the crazy idea that you come up with (and everyone flames) , or even something you were joking about, will be the exact thing that makes another person suddenly have an idea that ends up really great. At least we can hope.