The Dark Mod Forums

Watch Out!

Fingernail

Yeah, I'd suggest a gold texture. Something that size would be extremely expensive to begin with, and would likely be a loot item.

If this is a Mechanist item, it might be a good idea to decide what colour scheme, or metals, we want to associate with them. Will they be all brassy, with rusty metal, or more cold steel?

I'd say warmer coloured metals myself, like gold and brass, which go better with the sepia toned look of the Victorian Steampunk sub-genre.

that size? It's just a pocketwatch,

Well yeah, but how easy is it to make a pocket-watch in this time period? Not just anyone can make components that small, so they'd be expensive and owned only by the wealthy.

What time period? Sure, there'd be rich people who'd own nice gold watches, but the expanding urban middle classes and nouveau riche would undoubtedly attempt to flaunt their new found wealth by creating imitation and poorer quality versions of this technology.

I agree though, these would hardly be possessions of the proletariat. They'd have to make do with the occasional sundial and perhaps an hourglass here and there. But then, who needs to keep time when all your shifts are marked with the incessant pounding of factory bells?

imitation and poorer quality versions of this technology.

It's not the gold that makes it valuable, it's the technology. While lots of people can make larger clocks I doubt anyone other than the Inventor's guild have the skill to build the tiny components of pocket watches. Therefore they'd be rare and expensive to order, so you wouldn't have knock-offs made from cheap materials. Anyway, it's not worth a big discussion....

You would, they'd just fall apart quicker and be less accurate. I'm not talking peasants, as I said; the nouveau riche, the up-and-coming merchants with bounty collected from abroard; the higher ranking military officers, etc. A class of people not rich by birth, but approaching a noble level of wealth from their professions.

Oh wait, long discussion!