The Dark Mod Forums

Squill's Props

squill

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

model's looking good, but the texture could use some work. I'll see if I find some time on the weekend. maybe I can help you with that.

btw I've seen your posts over at d3world in the maya forum. do you have any experience in painting weightmaps?

I'm a total maya noob and I'm having some difficulties with smooth bind.

I should be able to help with that. To quote Id:

To create an articulated figure an md5 mesh with skeleton is required (.md5mesh). Furthermore an initial animation (.md5anim) is required with a single animation frame. This animation frame sets the model in a pose which is used to create the articulated figure. For human like characters this is usually a T-pose. The single frame of the initial animation also specifies the initial joint positions as they are modified by the bodies of the articulated figure.

Do we have that stuff for the sign already? The initial animation frame can just be the sign hanging directly down, I would think. Once that's done, I can try and make an AF file for it with the AF editor, and it should be all set to go. Later on to make it actually blow in the "wind" we'll have to script something to give it a push.

If you'd rather try it yourself, you can find info about the AF editor here: http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/editor_af.php , and info about what the AF settings do here: http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/afs.php

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got around to trying to install the animated gfclock, but so far it doesn't work. The model and textures show up, but there are no animations. The def file and material file are in the right place.

This is the def file:

model gfclock {

mesh models/md5/gfclock/gfclock.md5mesh

anim idle models/md5/gfclock/gfclock_idle.md5anim

}

entityDef gfclock {

"inherit" "func_animate"

"model" "gfclock"

}

Anything obvious leap out as a problem?

• 10 months later...

Well, I drudged up this old topic as I've been messing with the clock.

Seems like squill hasn't been around in awhile?

Reason I'm asking is because I also think that the clock should keep time as has been stated the T2 ones did.

Also if the pendulum swings the hands should move.

But I don't want to change anything there unless I get an OK anyhow. Basically just a little texture mod to get rid of the clock hands is what's needed.

I'd also like to get the source files for the clock hands on the splash screen (and the arrow pointer) and use them for textures, some simple hands could be made(placed as seperate object unless they can be attached via entity), then a resident mathmatician could figure out the speeds to set the hand rotations at.

I know it's completely possible to do so why not.

these were the rotation speeds for clock hands in T2

The exact settings are:

X= speed, Z= rotation degrees.

Minute hand:

X: 0.01 Y: 0 Z: 360

Hour hand (or Joint 2):

X: 0.00083 Y: 0 Z: 360

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think that could be done easily as an animated texture. It wouldn't need to be a separate model.

Here are the clock hands from the menu (you could probably find much clearer versions with a little searching)

http://www.innovspec.com/images/hands/1201.jpg

Well, an animated texture would have to be huge to cover a few hours of gameplay. Also, does every mission start at midnight? What if the player wants to set-up a custom time or wants a backwards rotating hands for horror mission...

Rotating hand models would be cake. I think they could be basically set to rotate at correct speeds as an entity so the author would just place em in the world and rotate em to whatever time they wanted to start.

I take it this means we can change the clock face to no hands?

Well, an animated texture would have to be huge to cover a few hours of gameplay. Also, does every mission start at midnight? What if the player wants to set-up a custom time or wants a backwards rotating hands for horror mission...

I'm not talking about a movie file. Animated textures are very powerful things that affect just the texture itself. The swirling background in the menu is an animated texture, as are the lightrays in Dram's maps or the moving leaves on the EOC trees. An animated texture can be set to rotate just as slowly as a model can, and it's a heck of a lot easier. The mapper doesn't have to do anything other than plop the model down in his map. Switching the direction of the rotation can be done very easily as well. It's also very easy to swap the kinds of hands, and the same rotating textures can be used for any clock model, even if they're different sizes. I'm not sure about setting a specific time on the clock, though. I suspect it's possible, but I've never tried it.

I don't think that it would be a good idea to do the hands as animated textures. They would be either very fast, or the texture would be quite big to make it slower. It would be much easier to write a simple script. In fact this would probably be a twoliner with constant rotation applied, just like my watermill wheels.

Gerhard

. They would be either very fast, or the texture would be quite big to make it slower.

I'm not sure why people think that. The speed of an animated texture is totally configurable in the shader definitions.

I'm not sure how animated tex works in Radiant.

I just assumed it would be something like an animated gif, mpg, or series of tgas. In which case you need ALOT of files to make the hour hand and minute hand rotate around the clock for 12 hours and have a smooth anim.

Now if it's more like flash where you have seperate objects that are more vector based the file size would probably be drammatically smaller.

So shed some light please, what type of file is it? I'm tired of diggin thru 20 damn mtr files or def files to find one little thing. I'm starting to realize what the worst part of this editor is. Everything is referenced in 12 places without paths so you can't find the crap you're looking for without wasting tons of time guessing and scrolling thru the files.

-------------

However I still think having 2 little clock hands is the best way to go, they could easily be placd in all clocks too. Just like the door hinges, we can have a rectangle (2 polys) and just reskin that, want smaller hands, make em smaller on texture. They'd just have to be centered so all the hands had the same rotation location on the texture.

plus that way each clock could have skins for faces and hands, making them alot more customizable. The rectangles (hands) themselves just need exported so their rotation location is in the correct spot.

Unfortunately the grandfather clockface is on the main tex, however it's an md5 so I might be able to import it and remap the face onto another object so it too could be reskinned. That would probably mean I'd need to renaimate it, but that's simple.

It's getting the af files right that's killing me, but once I know how other objs will be easy.

Another possiblity would be to use func_rotatings:

Create a long, thin brush. This is going to be the hand.

Convert it into a func_rotating.

Press tab and move the brush so that the origin is located at one end. (the entity is going to rotate around it)

Add the following properties in the entity inspector:

start_on 1

x_axis 1 (or y_axis 1, depends on which axis you want it to rotate around. Default is z.)

speed 0.1 (is given in ° per seconds, so you would need 0.1 for minute hand and 0.0083 for hour hand, similar to T2)

It is also possible to assign a model to this, as long as the origin is located at an appropriate place.

I'd go for animated texture, it's the least performance impact. It's very easily configurable through the shaderparm like spring said. In fact, if configured properly, you can set the time through the shaderparm.

I just assumed it would be something like an animated gif, mpg, or series of tgas. In which case you need ALOT of files to make the hour hand and minute hand rotate around the clock for 12 hours and have a smooth anim.

Not at all. Animated textures in D3 are MUCH more sophisticated and easier to work with (once you know what you're doing, which I can barely lay claim to). Any existing, regular old texture can be animated by adding some commands to the texture's material entry. They can be made to scroll, rotate, pulse, sway back and forth, and who knows what else.

Here's the material entry for the swirling fog in the main menu (just a regular old .tga image):

trans1_bg

{

translucent

{

blend filter

map guis/assets/mission_failure/fog.tga

rotate time * -.02

}

}

As you can see, the speed of the rotation is just a simple numerical value.

All that would need to be done to use animated textures, is erasing the hands from the existing texture, and then modifying the mesh to make the clockface separate. Then you just add two new transparent textures, one for each hand and set each material to rotate at the proper speed.

As far as I can see that would be easier for mappers, since they'd just plop the entity in their map without having to do anything special, unless they wanted the clock to do something unusual.

oh, well that is very similar to having hands that rotate and are placed seperately, but they'd already be a part of the clock. Of course that takes adding them to the clock model(s), seperate planes for each hand in front of clock face.

I think either way really, 6-1, 1/2 dozen whatever... I guess that way is slightly easier for author as they only make one object.

I don't mind doing this to the grandfather clock either. I guess the good thing is that one hand size will fit all as it will scale to the planes on the clock. We could always skin different hands, but they'd use the full size of the texture.

-----

So I guess if it's OK for me to modify the gf_clock I will add it to my list

Basically it would be:

*new face for clockface texture (that can be reskinned, this'll make the clock look better too as the face now is small and pixelated)

*2 transparent planes in front of that for hands.

It also doesn't have glass which would be cool to add IF someone can figure out a good glass material.

I haven't had much luck, the one I modified for the lab tools and gauges is not what I'd like. It doesn't need distortion it just needs to be clear and not shine so much. If there's a bright light on the gauges you can hardly see the faces.

I guess I could also change the gauge meshes to use this same technique.

-----------

Can animated textures bounce back and forth for the gauges? or can they only rotate. These are the Q's I have before I redo em.

So I guess if it's OK for me to modify the gf_clock I will add it to my list

Sure. :)

It also doesn't have glass which would be cool to add IF someone can figure out a good glass material.

I have yet to see any glass textures that look good when used on models in that way.

Can animated textures bounce back and forth for the gauges?

Yep, although I'm not sure exactly how it's done. Gil posted a movie about grass that sways back and forth using animated textures. Dram also knows how to do that, I think.

I'm tired of diggin thru 20 damn mtr files or def files to find one little thing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of undocumented code. :P

That's the most frustrating part of modding. You get a bunch of files thrown at you, and then have to figure out everything on your own. When I was younger I didn't mind, and saw it as a challenge, but it gets annoying after so many years. :)

Gerhard