The Dark Mod Forums

Saxmeister - Posting Again

saxmeister

Greetings-

I've been working on some SFX while I've had some downtime. Here are some samples that I think haven't been filled in yet on CVS.

Start Level sound

Level Start SFX test 1 (may be a bit bass heavy, but it gives me cold chills when it plays at loud volumes!)

sfx_creepy_voices.ogg (similar to the creepy voices from T1/T2 - I played around until I got close)[added 1/5/6]

Piano Frobs (5 samples from which to choose)

frob_piano1.ogg

frob_piano2.ogg

frob_piano3.ogg

frob_piano4.ogg

frob_piano5.ogg

Another possible "tension" ambient (similar to T2 style)

fx_tension_orch1.ogg

"Haunt" SFX (New 7 Jan 06)

fx_haunt_joinus.ogg

fx_haunt_soul.ogg

More on the way....

I'm reposting the links to some of these from a while back.

Ambients

ambient_haunt_v2.ogg (this was the version with less bass - I'm learning the art of compression finally!)

rain_loop.ogg (this was recorded in a light rainstorm but should be labeled for forest crickets or something similar)

SFX

clocktick_60_loop.ogg (for the mansion)

clocktick_30_loop.ogg (also for the mansion)

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Right!

frob_piano - Nothing to add here, they're perfectly fine. I'll upload em to CVS next time I do that

clocktick - Sounds good as well. Question: Do the names have something to do with the ticking frequenzy?

rainloop - Yeah, sounds like something tropical almost :) Woodsie/forest thing.

haunt_version2 - Waht, no bass? :( Heh, anyway, nice work here too. Nothing for me to whine about

tense - Ah, nice! Saxmeister strikes again! Fits well with the trippystrings.

creepy_voices - Finally! Someone did the creepy voices! I think I'm gonna do one of these myself someday.. It's sooo funny :)

Thanks for the kind words, Pak. I'm really trying to capture that Thief 1/2 feel more and get back to the original basics!

I love the creepy voices and I'm glad I finally figured out how to do them "correctly."

I'll post some more whenever I can.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

@Ishtvan: I think I remember doing something like that.... Someone's been playing with my sound files! ;)

Ahhh, Grasshopper.... you listen well!

Yes, the 30 means 30 ticks a minute (1 every 2 seconds, like a larger clock) and the 60 means 60 ticks a minute (1 every second, maybe for a smaller clock). These could be chopped up to be much shorter since they are the same sound repeated, but I left it like this so that it could be heard easily.

Fer Chrissakes, even more machine sounds! :D

On a more serious note: um, nothing to complain about, all sounds good. I should get your latest batch uploaded soon.

Question for the more aware members: Is CVS fine now? Can I sync up? There was some kind of organizing going on with the models, but that's finished now or what?

There are a handful of models that are currently showing black, but nothing serious.

Sorry Pak! I'm not trying to overwhelm with machine type sounds, but these are intended to be used for any type of mechanical sounds such as arming a mine, disarming a mine, mechanical eye zoom in and out, small robots, ambient rumbles in a mechanist area, etc. Not just another load of "this is machine sfx loop #5432".

These are more organic than the ones I was posting last year and don't sound like soft synths gone wild. ;) They are definitely meant to be used like sound effects for lockpicks, locking doors, unlocking doors, but some are loops.

@Darkness: Thanks for the kind words!

Well, there was a call for it in the design docs and I haven't seen or heard any of the dialogue that has been written for the game other than "Hey, did you notice anything funny over there?" and "Hmph, step aside, you!" so I was using the original series lines for reference.

Also, one of the placeholders for the revenants in the DarkMOD downloads was done with the Macintosh speech program so I tried to do something with real voices. Wasn't it Ralph or Sam with the raspy voice? (revenant1_relaxed_1.ogg was a real voiceover and was pretty awesome!)

These can be quickly modified and made to say anything or made out of anything that any of the voice actors can do. I just wanted to try to get the style down. If I had some lines for the haunts I could do those lines in the same style.