The Dark Mod Forums

Broadhead Arrow - Made A Broken One Too

Dram

Ok, I can't get into the editor cos of the problem in the bug report forum, so I've decided to make a broken arrow for when you hit a hard surface with the broadhead and it breaks. This arrow would only stay around for a few seconds or so if we want, or it could stay forever and be a suspicious thing to AIs.

Arrows in Wireframe

Arrows in Smoothshaded

Arrows in Textures

Opinions?

I had a look at the broadhead.script and I think I might be able to get them to appear when an arrow breaks - of course I'd have to get into the game first, which I can't aaargh.

Well, it looks like a broken arrow! :) Before I clicked on picture, though, I should say I was expecting something a little more broken though. A more violent angle at the crack; or an arrow broken in 2 or 3 pieces. And some jaggy splinters at the crack(s), to boot!

Well, it looks like a broken arrow! :) Before I clicked on picture, though, I should say I was expecting something a little more broken though. A more violent angle at the crack; or an arrow broken in 2 or 3 pieces. And some jaggy splinters at the crack(s), to boot!

Yeah, I'm making several versions of it. I have 2 atm, one which is cracked on 2 places and the one above.

But you're right, it could use some splintering. I won't bother doing that though till I can make them:

1) Spawn when they hit something hard

2) Chooses a random one between the two (2 for now, possibly 4 or more later)

The reason I did'nt make it split in half is because I didn't want to have to make it 2 models which are sperate, cos 2 models means there'l be double the amount of physicalized objects as there would with one model. That's why I'm making them broken but only snapped, not broken apart.

Though if it does'nt impact performance I'd gladly make them break in 2 for some of them.

In any case, it should be more interesting if you're running from a guard and he tries to hit you with his bow but hits just in front of you and you see the broken arrow fall to the ground >:)

I chucked it up on cvs. It'll replace the old one. I still have kept the old one as a backup of course. Also, I updated the damage of it too. Not the broadhead should only hurt on certain materials. Of course I could'nt test this yet due to the dll problem, but I will test it out asap.

The reason I put my model there is because the old one was too big and always clipped with things like the guard's helmet even though it looked like it should've hit his face. Mine has a smaller collision box basically.

I don't particularly care if you want to swap your model for the old one. Yours does look more threatening, that's for sure. Is it otherwise the same size? Did you keep the same feather and shaft texture as the original?

I don't particularly care if you want to swap your model for the old one. Yours does look more threatening, that's for sure. Is it otherwise the same size? Did you keep the same feather and shaft texture as the original?

Only problem though is that I don't think it will show up in the player arm animations. I thought the arrow for the player arm was an md5mesh/ anim?

We still have to customize the bow animations for the various arrow types, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It does'nt matter anymore, I just finished making it spawn shards. I added a line t make them disappear in 10 seconds.

http://img56.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image17ge.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image49uu.jpg

Yeah mine does change the textures. But they're already on cvs if that's what you're concerned about. I have the old one as a backup so no worries there.

Cool - I got a lot of new things to try when I finally download the actual mod. I just been animating without having to use the mod.

Whoa you serious?

Well there's a hell of a lot that's been updated, and it's quite playable now :)