The Dark Mod Forums

Zombie Uv Map?

Springheel

I was thinking last night about the most effective way to get some of our models into the game for testing purposes. Then I remembered that our plan was to use some of the zombies already present in the game (since the model and animation are already done) with modified textures.

I've also been looking for ways to try my hand at skinning. So in a brilliant flash of synthesis, I thought I would try my hand at creating custom skins for one of the zombies. Since I'll be modifying something that is already created, it won't stretch my limited skills as much, and we should be able to use it fairly easily in our mod tests once I'm done.

However, I need someone's help, because I have absolutely no idea where to look for the relevant files. I need the UV map, the texture map at a minimum...I can make my own normal and specular (if they even use that).

Can anyone tell me where to find those files? I'm thinking of the thin zombie with pants and no shirt (although the fat one will do in a pinch).

Great, thanks BT. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check. Will I be able to open the files in PS?

I just checked out some AI skins and I'm a bit surprised. All the zombie skins (I have seen yet) have a symmetric face - just like for example in Thief 1 ! maybe I just found the versions for low details - but even that is strange. Even Thief 2 doesn't have symmetric skins anymore :ph34r:

edit: just checked out more skins - they were tga files, but even the faces of scientists and Dr. Betruger are symmetric....

there must have been an error, when I unzipped the file - now it works

Ok, I guess first things first; how do I open a .pk4 file?

Yes, this is a 'feature' of Doom 3. The faces are mirrored, often with a VERY UGLY seam down the nose...something Carmack has commented on being a combined fault of him and the artists.

Well, that's a bit of a pain, especially for zombies. What do we do in order to make one with a bit of rotting on one side but not the other?

Hmmm, does that mean new models are bound by the same rules, or will it only affect existing models?

If it is a rendering issue then yes.

Teh only ting you could do is to create two models, each ona half and then we would have to control them seperatly. If this is done well, it should look like a seemles object.

Gerhard

In the worst case, only the faces are symmetrical, right? The rest of the body isn't, and that's not so bad. I think I know why they did it. If you've ever zoomed into a Doom 3 monster body, the face is the MOST detailed part. Try the handgun guy with the glowing eyes. He has the most minute (normal mapped) wrinkles all over his face, and his teeth practically look real. His skin really looks dead. And you can really see the difference in detail with the rest of his body - the textures on his body look blurry in comparison.

I think they wanted the faces to be detailed, for the cutsceans. And they probably decided it was worth cutting them in half for the extra detail.

We could make each character texure 1024x1024 if we wanted, but it may cause performance issues.

well question is, how many AIs will be in vision of the player ? In D3 there weren't many enemies in comparison to other shooters ( I just say serious sam :D ), but think of thief ! How many AIs can you see at the same time ? Even if you run through a whole mansion there won't be more than 10-15 AIs persueing you - I think the engine is able to handle 10-15 AIs with a 1024x1024 skin. At least for people, who play with high quality - I remember that D3 is scaling down textures on the lower details-settings anyway.

Edited by BlackThief