The Dark Mod Forums

Modelling Crisis?

Fingernail

Where are all the models and modellers? Deep Omega has been AWOL for a couple of weeks; similarly Oddity. Alan9000 seems to have disappeared sometime last week. fjnonan has been busy and shown no progress for perhaps a month now. kyo is still willing but still (I presume) has the same RL issues he had a couple of months back. Frank is where? We've had applications but no followups.

Anyone know anything of this lot? And; what can we do other than continue to advertise?

I don't know. When TNM for DX is done i can try to contact Treskton to see if any of thier modellers are avaiable (phasmatis, one of the team members, is pretty good)

As for people dissapearing, more than just moddellers have dissapeared, renz and nexenizer and a few others are awayas well. It is near the end of the year for college students, which means it's crunch time. That could play a factor in all this. I would say contact them, and see what's going on.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Of my current list of modellers:

Deep Omega: has logged on at least twice this week, but has not posted any replies to the pms I sent him.

oDDity: no contact for at least three weeks

oofnish: working on coding at the moment

Jay Pettitt: still without regular internet access last I heard

alan9000: unsure, he logged on in the last few days but no updates recently

kyo: told me on Monday he was available to mod, but hasn't posted anything in the modelling forum like I asked.

Fjonan: no word for over a month

Phantom: no word for over a month

So yes, I would say we have bit of a problem. I'm not entirely sure what to do about it.

Especially since, AFAK, we don't actually HAVE any of the models they already finished. Just pretty pictures of them.

Especially since, AFAK, we don't actually HAVE any of the models they already finished. Just pretty pictures of them.

I don't know what to do about the other problems, but I think we can avoid at least the model issue next time. Every stuff should go into CVS. Most programs support ASCII formats and this is what we should put in CVS. The textures and soundfiles can stay on the FTP server, as my machine and upload bandwidth is not exactly fast, but everything else should go into CVS. I think this is a better thing to do anway. And with everything I mean EVERYTHING. This includes material, def, map and any othe file that we need.

As it is, already I have to change stuff that Renzatics also works on and there are already chances that we overwrite each others changes (custom.mtr for example).

Gerhard

Whew. Hey everybody. Here's what's up.

Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to set up a new computer - dual processor workstation, basically, since this guy is coming to its knees over the thief model. A 1.5 GHz box with onl 512 megs of RAM won't cut it anymore.

So last night, I finally got all the parts to the new computer. Put it together. Aaaaand... nothing. Wouldn't post. No warning beeps. I've ordered a new power supply, as the one I have may not be enough, but now I'm suspicious that it may be my motherboard, in which case I'll have to get that replaced by Buy.com. This, combined with school work, has kept me drowning for a while now.

Now, if the power supply works, I'll be all set on monday - but this is looking less and less likely. Expect a week or two to get the new mobo if that's necessary.

I'm really sorry about all of this - but believe me, I'm no happier about it than all of you. I'm going to try to compile everything I've done to date into a handy dandy package (normal maps and so forth plus models for the lamp and the coins, as well as the models of the arrows) and upload them soon.

For those interested, however, this is why this whole ordeal is worth it:

ASUS NCCH-DL motherboard - dual Xeon capable, 800 MHz FSB, 4 USB 2.0, AGPx8, 2 PCI-X, 2 PCI, board-native optical audio out and game controller.

One Xeon 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB to start, with another later on when I can afford it.

1 GB Kingston PC2700 RAM

512 MB Kingston PC2100 RAM

GeForce 5950 Ultra FX 256MB

...So as I said. This is WORTH IT. Doubling my processor speed with an option to redouble it later, tripling my RAM, getting a waaay fatter FSB... yeah. So wish me luck, friends!

This isn't an accusation thread, so don't worry Deep Omega. You've obviously had your hands full and that's fine.

But, this combined with other abscence and people actually just disappearing or not being active, has meant a real decrease in productivity.

A message from someone asking to be excused for a few days/weeks/months even isn't too much to ask, and it saves us the position of just not knowing where they've gone or if they're still onboard.

What would help, in the future, is to UPLOAD EVERY VERSION OF A MODEL TO THE FTP, OR CVS. That way work can continue in another's hands.

What would help, in the future, is to UPLOAD EVERY VERSION OF A MODEL TO THE FTP, OR CVS. That way work can continue in another's hands.

If we can gree on ASCII format for models then CVS is the better choice because the distribution is faster and more than one modeler can work in it (in theory). Even if only one can work on it it still is better because of the versioning.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

don't worry guys i am still here ..I have been away for a little while dealing with my freelance work ..it came up unexpectedly..I should have dropped you a line but I didn’t expect to be away for a few days.

As an update the noble man model is being detailed in zbrush at the moment so I can generate the normal map. I will try to get an update up at the end of the week as I have to be away a couple of days this week again. I am still very enthusiastic about the project and should be able to spend a lot more time on it week commencing the 29 th ..perhaps that week should see it complete.

Were do I upload assets ?

Were do I upload assets ?

FTP server. I would say you should use:

models/character/noble_male_001

Is that ok Springheel? I would suggest that we use a seperate directory for each character because we probably need to add addtional files or versions per character and we don't want to clutter a single directory with it.

Gerhard

That sounds fine to me.

ok. I used additional directories for myself.

models/creatures/... for all kind of creatures like Spiders, Burricks, etc. I'm not sure if Zombies and Craymen should count as creatures or as characters.

models/props/misc for all kind of props I guess we can split this up into

models/props/furniture

models/props/lights

etc.

Basically it is the same structure that I set up for you in the project management tool. :)

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

Now be fair - I did make a post saying I would be gone for a few weeks. I was gone longer than expected, I had stuff to do in RL and I was busy making 5 characters for Nightblade, and I hav been working on Darkmod items as well, which I've posted elsewhere.

Anyway, I was under the impression that you guys had TONS of stuff do do that isn't affected by lack of models?

I've a lot of catching up do do on tings around here I expect. :ph34r:

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Welcome back oDDity! We definitely were starting to get worried, mostly because all of our modellers seemed to disappear at the same time. Good to have you back. :)