The Dark Mod Forums

Noble Man Character

ascottk

A little bit plain, but still fancy enough for a nobleman. :)

The left and right cuffs look different colours, but I suspect that's just the lighting.

I didn't mind the red/purple scheme - I reckon it would look OK in a heavily decorated mansion. Is the old texture really that bad?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little bit plain, but still fancy enough for a nobleman. :)
There's no detail yet, I was only asking for color ;)

The left and right cuffs look different colours, but I suspect that's just the lighting.
Yep.

I didn't mind the red/purple scheme - I reckon it would look OK in a heavily decorated mansion. Is the old texture really that bad?
Well, there's a lot of shadowing & there's still the lingering scent of cartoons :laugh: We could have that scheme as a different skin though.

There's no detail yet, I was only asking for color ;)

In that case it's fine. :)

We could have that scheme as a different skin though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

A general idea of what it could look like with more detail:

nobleman_mesh_edit5.jpg

BTW, I finally managed to make a halfway decent normal map using a hi-poly & lo-poly mesh ;) I'll have to fix his uv map in order to get a better one though (& after I'm done tweaking the mesh . . . it's just the details now).

EDIT: That kind of looks like Hugh Hefner running around in his bathrobe :laugh:

Yeah, I got a bathrobe vibe from it as well. :laugh:

The one problem I have with the colour is that it seems very close to the colour of the noblewoman's dress. They might look like they have matching outfits when you put them side by side. :)

I also like the colours of the original skin. I'm sure we'll have several versions to choose from.

BTW, how difficult would it be to lower the edge of his tunic? Right now it seems to be riding quite high compared to his crotch, which makes the style look a little modernish.

The one problem I have with the colour is that it seems very close to the colour of the noblewoman's dress. They might look like they have matching outfits when you put them side by side. :)
That was the main inspiration. I might go for a greener theme.

BTW, how difficult would it be to lower the edge of his tunic? Right now it seems to be riding quite high compared to his crotch, which makes the style look a little modernish.
I was thinking about separating the legs because working with the upper & the lower body is a pain.

Almost there:

nobleman_mesh_edit6.jpg

I separated the legs from the upper body & lengthened his coat. Now there's two materials, one for the upper body & one for the lower. Since we're not using the head texture anymore I used up that space & uv maps were tweaked beyond recognition ;)

Yes, I think it's looking tons better. Thanks for all the work you're putting into it. :)

What do you guys think about this guy's legs and feet compared to oDDity's style?

I think it looks like squawks - this guy has normal proportions, while oDDity's boots are bigger.

I've never liked the moon boots that oDDity puts on his models. Just looks awkward.

PS: Looking good, Ascottk.

He's back (in-game, not on cvs yet):

nobleman_mesh_edit7.jpg

There's a few details to work out like fixing his collar, make the button impressions in his coat, more wrinkles (invert the Maya generated normals), less specular on the coat, and a little more detail in the textures.

He'll never forgive me for getting him to rehab. I cleaned and ironed his clothes, combed his hair, made him eat a lot, and he's still not over yet B)

I notice that there still seems to be a weird shadow on the white sleeves, like there was on the original. Is that a normalmap problem?

I notice that there still seems to be a weird shadow on the white sleeves, like there was on the original. Is that a normalmap problem?
Yep, it was the normal map.

nobleman_mesh_edit8.jpg

I'm not too happy about the button impressions but the inverted normals are fixed :)

That's still your face? Cool :) I'm submitting mine :) I just have to grow my medieval beard.
I used the mesh from my head & generated a new texture with facegen. It was my head but it's a difference face.

I'm committing this now. I need a break from him because he's been bitchy since rehab

Would you like to take ownership of that original skin and finish it off later? I'm happy to work on it, but I don't want to step on your toes. I can just as easily work on a totally different version. :)

Would you like to take ownership of that original skin and finish it off later? I'm happy to work on it, but I don't want to step on your toes. I can just as easily work on a totally different version. :)
I'll finish it later. The new uv maps will be posted later. I also kept the bald heads, with the hair as different submeshes, in case we want to do something different with those.

Man, I hadn't checked this guy out in-game for a while. The new head looks great! :)

Here's a green skin we can use for the nobleman. Still needs some work around the neck and sleeves.

nobleman6.jpg

That does look great. I wonder, if the shoulder pads were chopped off, could this guy be retextured to be a more middle-class guy like a merchant or something? It seems like with less fancy colors the dress could almost pass for a common citizen (who can afford an undertunic or whatever that is).