The Dark Mod Forums

Spyglass Overlay

Springheel

Not knowing how much work goes into one little suggestion, I feel a concept artist should be entitled to propose an artistic thought on something. If the coders, mappers and other departments who are "in the know" say, "no way. too much work," then fine... we'll drop it. From my ignorant viewpoint, though, applying a fisheye or blur effect seems like it would hardly be difficult so it's worth mentioning/proposing.

If I were to throw up a retarded moss patch with a simplistic (lame) moss sprouting animation on CVS, does the team have to accept it just because it's "done" and "checked off our To-Do list"? No, I'd hope there would be some conversation in an effort to make it better, especially if it's felt simple tweaks could make it more polished.

If I were to throw up a retarded moss patch with a simplistic (lame) moss sprouting animation on CVS, does the team have to accept it just because it's "done" and "checked off our To-Do list"?

No, because you wouldn't put it on CVS until the concept was approved. If it was 'retarded' and lame, then it wouldn't be approved at all. However, if you created a good-looking one, it wouldn't be a good use of time to start debating whether it should be a slightly darker hue of green or whether the animation should show three tendrils or four. That's like arguing over what the eye colour should be for our AI models, or how much stubble they should have.

True, most of us are guilty of overanalyzing other people's work. I think this might be the same reason why people outside the mod nitpick over stuff like the accuracy of thrown wine bottles...

If we (as authors of particular features or assets) consciously avoid that by simply saying "maybe you're right, but I'd rather move on to something else now" then I think this can be overcome quite easily.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I think this might be the same reason why people outside the mod nitpick over stuff like the accuracy of thrown wine bottles...

Yes, I think sometimes people nitpick because it's an easy way to feel involved in the process. Armchair modding, if you will. ;)

way to try and destroy mod enthusiasm. if u think proposing slight alternatives

in an attempt to make things in the mod better is just done for attention and

to 'feel' like a contributor .. whatever.

move the pagan village background scene off your name in the concept art section

section of the external website like i asked in pm and never heard back from

you. i dont care if u dont put it under my name, but dont want u getting

credit formy work. you already post like 90 percent of the stuff u do,

for attention.

sorry for the rant. just seems like springheel

either rules with an iron fist or

doesnt like any art ideas that arent his own

so tries to suppress (unless u can draw

buildings, b/c he cant), or all the above. does

a good job of making it seem like we're

stuck in a 'two roosters in the shed' analogy

and only allows himself to prevail every time.

Er, no....since I was clearly responding to:

I think this might be the same reason why people outside the mod nitpick over stuff like the accuracy of thrown wine bottles...

@DF: As for posting your art, it's on my list of things to do the next time I update the website, which hasn't been done since you PMed me.

@Springheel: While we're talking about updating the website: If you ever need a hand with keeping stuff up to date (apart from writing the actual news) let me know, I'd happily help you out. :) I thought of tasks like preparing images for the screenshots sections or keeping the team members list up to date, whatever.

Sure, thanks for the offer...I find the team-member page especially hard to keep track of, since people come and go on a regular basis. :)

move the pagan village background scene off your name in the concept art section

section of the external website like i asked in pm and never heard back from

you. i dont care if u dont put it under my name, but dont want u getting

credit formy work. you already post like 90 percent of the stuff u do,

for attention.

I don't think that Spring really needs to crave for more attention, as he definitely does a lot of work and has contributed enough, apart from doing his job as an art lead. So I doubt that he needs to steal from your contributions to get more chicks from our groupies.

Gerhard

The Dark Mod groupie chicks Broken Glass Studio Lassies?

You should see Broken Glass Girls go Wild #143! ;)