The Dark Mod Forums

Another Mansion Pack Model Chalked Off

oDDity

Man, that looks like I could pick it up, it's so real. :)

One thing to consider...people are going to look at the globe and wonder what universe they are in...does The Dark Mod take place on an alternate earth? If not we should probably texture it in a way that is fairly neutral.

Yes, I was thinking that myself. Though I suppose we could set the dark mod on real Earth in the past, and make it a real medieval thief simulation (that's 'thief' with a small 't') just like I always wanted Thief to be.

DEATH TO WOO!!!

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Bots aren't woo) You can argue bots like that would have been impossible at that 'time period', but that doesn't make them woo. What makes something woo, is it's shameless audacity in wantonly breaking the laws of physics, and being completely impossible now and forever.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Nothing is impossible if you delve into physics deeply enough. But I don't see how security bots are any less 'woo' than moss arrows or zombies.

Moss arrows aren't woo either, working examples could easily be made. Zombies on the other hand are quite blatant and first degree woo.

I restrict woo to the following:

Undead (haunts, ghosts, zombies)

Burricks

THe Trickster

Potions (health, invis, slowfall)

Magic casters

It wouldn't affect the game that much to leave those out, after all, T2 had few examples of any of them.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think you would have to use just as much 'magic' physics to explain bots that can see and talk and move, powered by a boiler, as you would for animating dead tissue. :)

Robots exist in real life that can see, talk and move, perhaps not powered by a boiler, but it's just another form of power, like any other, just not as efficient as modern sources.

- Emil Zola

character models site

True, robots exist in real life, but using electronic circuit technology (and even then nothing that can master the bipedal speed, recognition and pathfinding ability of the Thiefbots). The idea that such a thing could be powered by a boiler and some gears is as ridiculous as animate zombies.

To each their own woo... :)

I'm not sure whether to model a whole load and then batch convert thm to game ready, or get them in the game as  I model them.

:blink: Is this a photo for concept? Or your final model????

I can't believe this! People will go crazy when they see this. :) We probably shouldn't show it to them otherwise they will storm the server. :)

Gerhard

Robots exist in real life that can see, talk and move, perhaps not powered by a boiler, but it's just another form of power, like any other, just not as efficient as modern sources.

Actually I'm with you on that. I don't like the zombie parts either, but on the other hand, we should still do it, because many people like it and even though I don't really love them, I must admit that they add a big part of the tension whenever I encounter them.

Gerhard

THe wallpaper texture is from

http://www.decorate-waverly.com/Search_Pro...?intCategory=16

A great resource for tilable wallpaper, fabric and carpet swatches.

Yes, that's the rendeered model, but let's wait to see it in-game before saying it's any good)

post-5-1102415534.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

THe wallpaper texture is from

http://www.decorate-waverly.com/Search_Pro...?intCategory=16

A great resource for tilable wallpaper, fabric and carpet swatches.

hey thx - bookmarked this site :) this wallpaper feels really like Thief2 for me, I love it.

I'm going to make it with various colour and then upload it to our textures!

I made the game version. I'm still tring to get the best from spec maps, they seem to wash dark textures out and make them look like plastic.

Still it looks pretty good. Maybe we can fix the textures so that it looks less like plastic. But I noticed this in the D3 environment as well. Everything has this look.

So I guess we can tick that model off now as being 90% finished. :) Good.

Gerhard