The Dark Mod Forums

I want to show you my first efforts too

Ozi

Hello everyone.

Firstly, sorry for my English (I hope is good enough to understand what i`m posting here)

OK. My first efforts in D3Ed - a (very)small church :)

Early untextured version:

sc1cp5.th.jpg sc2xs0.th.jpg sc3dh5.th.jpg sc4rz5.th.jpg

And here are some textures on (all textures where found in the internet on free-textures websites):

33716060gv4.th.jpg 70988030bg9.th.jpg 55503487zr1.th.jpg

That church is entarable (what else to expect if ther are no windows or doors yet :P ):

73548431bp3.th.jpg 95687649wa4.th.jpg 55202372ps7.th.jpg

Waiting for opinions  ;)

Edited by Ozi

Very impressive work, but I suggest learning how to use a modelling app and to create normal maps as well. Producing that level of detail using brushes and patches is not very efficient and won't necessarily lead to good performance.

Very impressive work. Nice amount of detail and the scaling is great. Keep it up.

Very impressive work,

I`m glad you like it :)

Producing that level of detail using brushes and patches is not very efficient and won't necessarily lead to good performance.

That`s what I`m afraid of and what forced me to download Blender and visit this site.

I'm also using Blender when I do some modelling for D3. I already used it years before, but I must say it has come a long way, since then and the UV mapping is simply as easy as it can get. :)

There are some issues with using such big models purely from a modelling app, so you might try to get some information about it. I think one issue was that it would not be a good idea to create such big models as one chunk, instead chopping it up into seperate pieces, otherwise you might get issues with performance as well. The renderengine would consider the complete section for rendering IMO. Our artists know more about this, so feel free to ask. :)

Gerhard

That's awesome, I think with a little more texture work it would be top notch.

This can be saved too so other people could import and use it? (I have just barely messed around with editor so far.)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

That's awesome, I think with a little more texture work it would be top notch.

This can be saved too so other people could import and use it? (I have just barely messed around with editor so far.)

Like everything else (i think) what`s build in the editor, that can be saved as prefab file, and as prefab it is possible to import that to any map. 

Edited by Ozi

Sweet, that's better than multibrush! Multi brush could be buggy with textures, if you didn't load families in correct order it could be textured wrong. I think it based textures off of tex# in original file instead of tex name.

I was actually going to ask about that in my post and left it out at the last moment.

I hated when you multibrush in dromed having to fix all the textures when the order was off.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, really good work, Ozi! I love those details. I'm eagerly waiting for some environment and/or furnished interior! :)

P.S. the only thing that keeps nagging me is the scale of textures - especially bricks and roof tiles. I think they're too large, which makes the building looks smaller than it actually is.

P.S.2 - and don't hesitate to apply for betamapper position :) (unless you know you don't have really time for this)

P.S. the only thing that keeps nagging me is the scale of textures - especially bricks and roof tiles. I think they're too large, which makes the building looks smaller than it actually is.

Yeah, that's the first thing that strikes you looking at it. It looks a little like a toy building, rather than a real building. Then again, that's some of its charm. It just depends on what you want to use the building for. If this were in an FM, I'd also recommend to work on the scale of those textures (unless there's a reason it should look a little surreally toy-like, like it was in a dream). But for this sort of test run/ experimenting/ play it makes for fun eye candy, so I don't mind so much. Great work in any event.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks for all good words and advices :) I changed the scale of the textures and 

that church look much better now. 

And about aplly as beta mapper - I sent an e-mail to recruiting@thedarkmod.com so now I`m waiting for answer :)

Awesome. We (I) need someone to make a bunch of cool building so when I get around to making a city it's all but done.

But seriously, I think it would be good to have someone making buildings(prefabs) for the mod for this reason.