The Dark Mod Forums

New release: 0.9.3

Release 0.9.3 is now available on SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161727

This is a minor release with a couple of bugfixes and tweaks, and is also the first release which contains the refactored module system (which should make no visible difference to the user unless there is some bug which we haven't found).

I hate to say it, but I seem to have introduced a major bug into the codebase which made it into the latest 0.9.3 release.

The entityclass attributes aren't parsed correctly anymore, and some things get an incorrect "editor_displayFolder" assigned. This is obvious when one browses to the darkmod/Moveables tree, which should contain much more. All these entities are in doom3_junk, where they shouldn't be.

I already fixed the bug in SVN, but this is too late for the 0.9.3 release. :(

What bugs me even more is that I don't understand how my change would cause this issue. It is related to inserting and subsequently altering stuff in the EntityClassAttributeMap, which didn't work as I expected. I have to learn why this is.

I hate to say it, but I seem to have introduced a major bug into the codebase which made it into the latest 0.9.3 release.

The entityclass attributes aren't parsed correctly anymore, and some things get an incorrect "editor_displayFolder" assigned. This is obvious when one browses to the darkmod/Moveables tree, which should contain much more. All these entities are in doom3_junk, where they shouldn't be.

I already fixed the bug in SVN, but this is too late for the 0.9.3 release. :(

What bugs me even more is that I don't understand how my change would cause this issue. It is related to inserting and subsequently altering stuff in the EntityClassAttributeMap, which didn't work as I expected. I have to learn why this is.

Don't be too hard on yourself. :)

Thanks NH, but it really bugs me!

I already found out what the problem was: I replaced the EntityAttributeMap::insert() call with an assignment using the operator[], which actually overwrote the previous value (that's why stuff went into doom3_junk, which is the topmost inheritance for editor_displayFolder).

I forgot that the insert() operator doesn't overwrite existing stuff, but I could've thought about that when I changed that call. Another lesson learned the hard way.

That's an easy mistake to make, some of those STL methods are far from intuitive. I guess that is why some of the GtkRadiant methods are named findOrInsert(), since that represents more clearly what actually happens.

I don't think much has changed since 0.9.3, so provided there aren't any outstanding areas of breakage we can put out a 0.9.3.1 or something to fix this bug (even the Linux developers have done this).

OrbWeaver, would you mind giving me the privileges to commit changes to SVN? :)

I don't have a problem with that; you'll need to create an account on SourceForge and add yourself to the DarkRadiant project, then I can set your permissions.

I don't have a problem with that; you'll need to create an account on SourceForge and add yourself to the DarkRadiant project, then I can set your permissions.

Thanks OrbWeaver, I'm angua_darkmod now.

That 0.9.4 version would also include the fix for The Infinite Bug? smile.gif

Greebo is working on it right now. :)

Hopefully I should get it out tomorrow since I have the day off work. The reason it takes so long is because I have to reboot into Windows and compile etc, which is such a time-consuming and painful experience that I don't have the energy for it during the evenings. :(

The installer is pretty easy actually, you just need to install InnoSetup and then double-click on the .iss file in the tools directory (which I need to update in SVN since the repository version is several releases out of date). The InnoSetup GUI provides a text editor to edit the settings and a simple Compile button which creates the installer.

I also run strip on the binaries before packaging to keep the size down (I guess this should really be in the SConscript) and remove the DEF files which somehow I cannot prevent from being created.

The installer is pretty easy actually, you just need to install InnoSetup and then double-click on the .iss file in the tools directory (which I need to update in SVN since the repository version is several releases out of date). The InnoSetup GUI provides a text editor to edit the settings and a simple Compile button which creates the installer.

I also run strip on the binaries before packaging to keep the size down (I guess this should really be in the SConscript) and remove the DEF files which somehow I cannot prevent from being created.

Don't forget UPX (and run it with the --lzma option):

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax