The Dark Mod Forums

Model wishes: rainpipes, roof ends etc.

Tels

For my city house I would like to have a end-piece for the very top of the roof:

post-144-1193403802_thumb.jpg

Since I am using the red shingles texture, the model should have the same or a similiar texture.

Likewise, I would like to add rainpipes to my house, but there isn't a model yet.

Here is another shot showing what I mean with the rainpipes and the top roof piece.

post-144-1193404032_thumb.jpg

(I know I could use patches, but that gets tedious very fast :)

So, if any of the modelers is bored, feel free to work on it and my eternal gratitude is your reward :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'd say patches are your friends in this case. You can have a look at the graveyard map, there are some nice examples of drainpipes in there. For the roof end-piece I would try to use an endcap patch.

I'd say patches are your friends in this case. You can have a look at the graveyard map, there are some nice examples of drainpipes in there. For the roof end-piece I would try to use an endcap patch.

Yeah, but I don't want to spent all day doing patches, and then others having to do them over and over again for every other map :-)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Yeah, but I don't want to spent all day doing patches, and then others having to do them over and over again for every other map :-)

Models are fixed in size and won't fit everywhere, while you can copy a patch over from another map (in case you didn't know this already, you can copy stuff from one map to another) and resize and reshape it as much as you want, so I think patches are a lot more flexible. :)

Models are fixed in size and won't fit everywhere, while you can copy a patch over from another map (in case you didn't know this already, you can copy stuff from one map to another)

It is way easier to "create model", select the one and be done, then to copy stuff from another map, tho.

and resize and reshape it as much as you want, so I think patches are a lot more flexible. :)

Ugh, I didn't know you can't resize models. That makes endcaps for roofs way too difficult - unless the model comes in many sizes or all your roof tops have the same lenght :/ This also means I can't resize one of the doors like I intended, too. :(

Anyway, patches are quite a lot of work, so I will skip all this for now. Need first to get the map geometry right.

@Tels

What size of door do you need? What style?

Here is an editor shot of a brush-door I made:

post-144-1193486235_thumb.jpg

This door is 56 x 84 units so it is basically a more broader, but less high door.

The current door models are all:

48 x 96

56 x 104

56 x 128

(as far as I can see)

Basically I like 104x56 two-hinge door4 but not as heigh. Likewise, a "half-heigh" door, like only 48 x 56 units could be used for access hatches etc.

Of course, having more different wood skins for doors would also be good :) *hint wink nudge hint* - or can I change these in the editor somehow? :)

Baddcogg, while you are at it, can you also make a very simple, plain, round doorknob? For utility doors etc, a full swinging handle seems overly stylish :)

Or maybe there is already one but I overlooked it?

@To others:

As I wrote, the current door is a brush-based door and this seemed to work *very* fine for the door, but I am having really great difficulties for the lockbox/handles :/

I followed: http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php?title=Doors

However, neither on the handle, (I used small_square_lockbox or so) nor on the door is a property "door_handle" or "door_body" available, as the wiki and some description text said.

So I cheated and entered the property manually on the door, which is tricky as when you press "TAB" in the property name line, it resets from "door_handle" to "name" or something.

In the end I managed it, but it seems needless complex. Shouldn't I just be able to right-click, select "Add property" and select the "door_handle"?

In addition, I also have troubles adding a second handle. How would I do that, as currently my door has only one lockbox on one side?

Likewise, maybe I did it wrong, but the lockbox I used does actually rotate when you open the door, so it is afterwards at 45°. That looks wrong to me.

Plus, the current boxes/handles don't look really right, I wanted one as the 104x96 two-hinge door4 has (visible on both sides of the door), but I can't seem to find a model for that.

post-144-1193486808_thumb.jpg

For such simple doors you don't need models. It would be a waste of space and time. Just create a brush for it, and you can make it any size you want and use all the textures that are available so far. But I agree that more wood textures would be great. The current selection is pretty limited IMO.

Gerhard

For such simple doors you don't need models. It would be a waste of space and time. Just create a brush for it, and you can make it any size you want and use all the textures that are available so far.

Yes that is what I did, but also note how I described that I had a lot of troubles with the lockbox/handles for the brush door, and I am not sure if this is a general problem with brush doors, or just my inability to understand things :)

But I agree that more wood textures would be great. The current selection is pretty limited IMO.

Maybe it could be possible to "skin" models in the editor?

Baddcogg, while you are at it, can you also make a very simple, plain, round doorknob?

Round doorknobs are actually quite anachronistic and should be avoided.

Maybe it could be possible to "skin" models in the editor?

It already is. In fact, it's on the wiki more than once.

I'll try to make a crawlspace type door at some point. I was already planning on making a metal grill one (alpha channel) for vetilation shafts,ect...

Was planning on small enough that the player would have to crawl thru.

I'd also love to see more textures and I'm sure we will in time.

I agree that round door knob are not good. I'll try and make a few mnore door handles though. That one is obviously fancy, but still needs a good normal map and skins.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

How can anything in a fantasy universe be anachronistic? :unsure:

Anyway, this page details round door knobs from 1839..1846:

http://www.antiquedoorknobs.org/Bennington.html

And don't tell me this looks modern: :D

http://www.drummonds-arch.co.uk/product/br...sets/85/916.htm

Anyway, another way would be a simple "latch". I think I can make some from a few brushes, but having a properly animated model etc would be much easier.

The only relevant article I could find was this:

http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...ins_For_A_Model

But I meant in DarkRadiant, by just specifying a different texture/skin. Not by getting a model program and making multiple versions of the same model :)

How can anything in a fantasy universe be anachronistic? :unsure:

Well, if you like you can go ahead and put the BFG back in. :P Maybe anachronistic is the wrong word, but it might be inconsistent.

But I meant in DarkRadiant, by just specifying a different texture/skin. Not by getting a model program and making multiple versions of the same model :)

Assuming that a skin is available for a specific model (it must have an according definition in a .skin file), you can choose a skin either by selecting it in the "Add Model..." dialog or in the EntityInspector by adding the property "models" > "skin" and use "Select Skin...".

Yes that is what I did, but also note how I described that I had a lot of troubles with the lockbox/handles for the brush door, and I am not sure if this is a general problem with brush doors, or just my inability to understand things :)

I don't see why this should be a problem with brushes. What's your problem? You could do handles with brushes, or patches, or if you need fancy ones, you can do a model for it.

Gerhard

OK, I do like that black and gold door knob. maybe some round ones aren't bad. I think that is a great example becuase it is NOT just a round brass knob.

I think my main objection to round knobs is that if they are plain it would be hard to see them move as you pick the door.

If you are using my lockbox on that door there is a matching lever: lockbox_lever_01.ase

--Edit--whoops, sorry, habven't made it moveable yet. Trying to clean stuff up today so I'll try and get to it.

I do plan on more lockbox/levers, ect... too much to do, not enough time though :D

-------------

Oh, I meant to post this earlier. About the roof trim.

These are things that would be great to have beta mappers create and save as prefabs. Then they are there and easily altered by authors.

Of course once you've made one it'll be easy to copy/paste too.

A great benefit of this too is the easy of texturing in Dark, if we made a 10 foot long model and you stretched it to 20 the tex would looik terrible, but with a prefab a quick texture alignment is no prob.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

-------------

Oh, I meant to post this earlier. About the roof trim.

These are things that would be great to have beta mappers create and save as prefabs.

After spending about 3 or 4 full days on one roof already, I intend to do exactly this - even if it is just to make my own life simpler :)

And thanx a lot for all the modeling work!