The Dark Mod Forums

Explosive Mine

god_is_my_goldfish

Uncolored outline,

mine.jpg

Colored

minecolored.jpg

not the best work i've ever done, but i'm still new at drawing with a tablet. The knob located next to the blast cap is the activation trigger, the large circle is the blast cap, and the two red lights below that are indicators. The way i see it, once it's been stepped on, the lights blink three times rapidly, then the mine goes off. If this accompanied with a winding up noise or something all the better. THe lights are included so that if the thief accidentally steps on his own mine he has a split second to get away and take less damage, rather than just take it and die. THey can be included or not, that's up to spring.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

THe lights are included so that if the thief accidentally steps on his own mine he has a split second to get away and take less damage, rather than just take it and die. THey can be included or not, that's up to spring.

Looks VERY good! :) If the thief steps on his own mine then it's his problem. :) A mine should go off whenever it is stepped upon. After all it's explosives and you have to be carefull with it. Of course when it is deployed it should have a timer of 3-6 seconds before it activates. After that, should it be possibnle to frob it and put it back inventory? We may have to decide this.

Gerhard

Yeah, awesome work by both you guys :)

god_is_my_goldfish, I like how much thought you've put into how it works.

I personally like the 3 flash delay - it's silent, and I think this "safety feature" concept is used in real life... I know it's used in DeusEx though.

If you don't know there is a bomb there, you still get blown up. No beeping warns you with god_is_my_goldfish's idea. Even in DeusEx, which beeps as well as flashes, when you hear the beeping and you didn't know there was a bomb there, you still get blown up, because it's not long enough to run away properly because you don't know what specific direction to run in to get away by the most amount in the shortest time.

I guess there are two mine issues to discuss:

1. Do the mines have to be stepped on or are they proximity mines?

2. Can you use lockpicks to 'defuse' your own mine in order to pick it back up (like T2)?

3. Mines should mess up the hearing of anyone in the direct area, as oDDity suggested, and they are a good choice for the 'earthquake' screen shake that exists in D3 already.

dear GIMGF

I m uploading a basic modelling for you to see it your concept art..I hope it helps..YOu can put many details without hesitating..more you draw more we model..

best...:)

Hey, that looks great. I'll see what concept art i can get done tomorrow.

I guess there are two mine issues to discuss:

It's three. :)

1.  Do the mines have to be stepped on or are they proximity mines?

They shouldn't be proximity mines by default, but triggering them only when one steps upon it might be a bit hard. Depends on how the AI moves.

2.  Can you use lockpicks to 'defuse' your own mine in order to pick it back up (like T2)?

Can you? Never noticed this.

3.  Mines should mess up the hearing of anyone in the direct area, as oDDity suggested, and they are a good choice for the 'earthquake' screen shake that exists in D3 already.

Yes. That might be viable. I'm not really sure if it is a good idea though. I fear that it turns to much in a FPS game with all that changes. But we can give it a try.

Gerhard

I don't know if this would be any good from a gameplay perspective, but what about guards noticing mines just lying in plain sight. So you'll have to "hide" them, either in a shadow, or under a desk or something like that.

I also thought about that, but the problem is that they would become pretty useless. If you plant a mine in doorway there is no way to hide it there. And since many missions are indoors, that would render the mine pretty useless.

And a guard going under a desk? When would it do that?

Gerhard

I suppose everyone is perfectly aware that mines are just about the single item in the entire universe that a thief would be least likely to use, other than a flashing neon hood?

Oh, yeah, I forgot, LGS had them in Thief, so...etc...I'd hate to think we were sticking them into our game for that reason alone :rolleyes:

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Oh, yeah, I forgot, LGS had them in Thief, so...etc...I'd hate to think we were sticking them into our game for that reason alone :rolleyes:

I can't help noticing that LGS made a very good job with their choice of tools, so I don't really see a reason why we not should include them. It's about fun. Not "because LGS did so".

Gerhard

I can't help noticing that LGS made a very good job with their choice of tools, so I don't really see a reason why we not should include them. It's about fun. Not "because LGS did so".

Ummm..yes....but you see, you ARE putting mines in exactly and exclusively because they were in Thief, and no iother ason. There are a million and one things which would be even more 'fun' than mines if we included them in the game, but we're not.

There is no way in hell anyone would even have dared to suggest explosive mines if they had not been in the original games, and that person would have been lynched for mentioning it.

Yet becasue LGS decided it was a good idea, here we are talking about it as if it's the most natural and obvious thing in the world that a thief would carry mines.

I don't think LGS did make a good choice of tools. Apart from the blackjack and water arrows, all the rest were stupid and didn't fit in at all.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

No, mines added a bit of strategy to the game, They were something you could plan out ahead of time, waiting for a guard or bot to come by, rather than going hunting after them.

Not to sound pompous or anything, but just because you think something is stupid and never used it, doesn't mean the same applies to everyone else.

dear TEAM :)

it s good to keep the core of Thief but it doesnt mean that we are only limited with them..We can come up with other wise tools...

We shouldnt make a WARMACHINE I mean he is a damn thief. More weapons makes him more annihilator type of guy..I remember there were times i was cheating the spirit of Thief in T3. I was killing everyone with everything..This was not good. I should have played so much SNEAK based .But HEY! i had many weapons in use and im oldie FPS shooter, my insticts making me Shooter if i have the weapon.

. So we really can give the Fans the mines..but we can improve it. We can change the Mine's structure, I mean Same Mine but different usage in different condition.

I was in Kosovo for 6 months for a video documentary and Nato army stuff. I have seen that MINE thingy and how actually hard to make it work and once it works how hard to make it stop...It s so serious device, it s not a joke that you can put around and wait for an idiot to step on and blow himself up..

And if you ask my personal opinion the LAST thing for a thief to use is MINE.

with this shape and condition...Especially to put a mine in front of guard almost ridicolous.. In the game of SOUND ...it s totally nonsense. I remember i was even throwing those MINES!! What the hell that SOUND was going i dont know..Im not against the idea of MINE-like thingys but this kind of MINE really its not mine! :)

We can come up with small devices (I loved the shape of GIMG' design. i think it s so useful if it s small in the game..) Even we can make magnetic small mines little bigger than a button...

So my last opinion let s keep the MINE but make it different..

best

Edited by TYROT

There is no way in hell anyone would even have dared to suggest explosive mines if they had not been in the original games, and that person would have been lynched for mentioning it.

True enough. But (at the risk of repeating myself) we want thief fans to be comfortable using our Mod. That means giving them the same or similar equipment as the ones they are used to.

In our campaigns, we don't have to make mines available, as they are the most un-thief-like equipment in the game (gas mines might be ok).

It takes very little effort to include them for the more 'purist' thief fans, and besides, we may want to use them as ANTI-thief devices.

dear Springheel,

That s the point. A MINE should be use for ANTI-THIEF setups.

And what do you say if we dont give any MINE to our thief but force him (and the gamers) to collect MINES if he wants to.. And we can show the true face of Mines to gamers. If you wanna use it ...Well First you have to disable it and then you have to collect it... I think it would be giving extra sweat to everyone...

-"Hmmm. that s the one..That s the one i have to cut the green one........................ GOSH! ...the wrong one....Oh...damn....Victoria ...Im coming to you... My green veiny lover...Im coming to you in a second"

-"Hey wake up..!! wake up! Garrett...you are dreaming again..and again you are seeing that VICTORIA in your dream ..How many times should i tell you ..."

-"Oh Shut up you Noble fat ass!.. Goddamn.it...It was a nightmare..a fucking nightmare....OH damn Im late.... Im going ..Darkness is waiting for me.."

-"Oh Garrett please dont leave me...you know im a jealous woman im jealous for even dead Victoria"

-"Im trying to get over it OK. I gotta go now..Darkness is waiting for me.."

-"Garrett....."

-"WHAT now!!"

-"Dont forget your Lightgem baby..It s over there you know...."

-"YOu and your fantasies...God damn.. I will put brand new GIMG Mine over there next time...."

-"Please do a quick visit to my father place.He got his new case...."

-"That s why you are still my baby....my noble woman"

best..... ( i think i need a rest)

Edited by TYROT