The Dark Mod Forums

Start Mission cleanup

joebarnin

Whether this is enough depends on your startup parameters. Are you starting the game with +set fs_game darkmod or +set fs_game saintlucia (with +set fs_game_base)?

You should use either +set fs_game darkmod and place the startingMap.txt in darkmod/

or use +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game saintlucia

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm using the same default I've always used, so it's not +set fs_game saintlucia.

You should use either +set fs_game darkmod and place the startingMap.txt in darkmod/

Wait, the saintlucia folder should be directly under the "darkmod" folder, not "doom3"? Mine is the latter.

Wait, the saintlucia folder should be directly under the "darkmod" folder, not "doom3"? Mine is the latter.

No, the saintlucia folder should be next to the darkmod folder, not beneath it.

C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod

C:\Games\Doom3\saintlucia

Otherwise it wouldn't be suitable for neither fs_game nor fs_game_base.

Leave your folders as they are and use this shortcut:

c:\games\doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game saintlucia

Hm. Do you have a startingMap.txt file in your darkmod/

That's likely the problem. My startingMap.txt file is in the doom3/saintlucia folder, not my darkmod folder.

Ok, that's fixed it, so I'm able to continue cleaning up the start menus.

I think we had agreed to leave the difficulty buttons as text, so that authors could change the names if they wish, correct?

Where are the names set, btw? The current ones are not the names we had settled on, but I can't find where "gui::diff0Name" is set.

I might need a little help with the difficulty screen...I'm finding it very hard to tell what affects only that screen and what affects the regular objectives screen, and a lot of stuff seems to be defined outside the gui file. Even something simple, like moving the title, becomes complicated because I can't find where the position is defined (the X is, but not the Y that I can see).

The two things I'd like to do that are causing me trouble:

Lower the parchment about 20 units to make room for a title above the parchment. Move the DIFFICULTY_TITLE to a different location and replace the text with a graphic.

I'm not having much luck today. I thought I'd move on to the shop menu, but I still can't get to it. Although it now goes to the Diffculty menu after the briefing is complete (or I hit esc) it does not go to the shop screen when I hit "buy equipment". Instead I go back to the regular Start Menu. <_<

Where are the names set, btw? The current ones are not the names we had settled on, but I can't find where "gui::diff0Name" is set.

The names are the one you posted in the inventory thread here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=163038

I can easily change them, they are defined in the map's worldspawn.

The two things I'd like to do that are causing me trouble:

Lower the parchment about 20 units to make room for a title above the parchment. Move the DIFFICULTY_TITLE to a different location and replace the text with a graphic.

The "gui::yyyyyy" variables are interacting with the SDK code, things are kept very flexible. The parchment, title text and position are set dynamically by the code, depending on which menu is visible.

Just give me the graphics and I'll handle the code changes - some might not be trivial, but we'll get there.

I'm not having much luck today. I thought I'd move on to the shop menu, but I still can't get to it. Although it now goes to the Diffculty menu after the briefing is complete (or I hit esc) it does not go to the shop screen when I hit "buy equipment". Instead I go back to the regular Start Menu. <_>

Have you checked the console - it should be complaining about what's missing on your system.

The names are the one you posted in the inventory thread here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=163038

Maybe something still isn't working for me, because I see "Easy" "Average" and "Difficult" (could be misremembering the middle one). I think what we had agreed on was "Easy" "Hard" and "Expert".

Have you checked the console - it should be complaining about what's missing on your system.

I'll try that tonight.

The only error I get is "couldn't load maps/" which doesn't clear anything up for me.

And I've updated, but I still see Easy, Medium, and Difficult for the difficult settings. What's going on??

The only error I get is "couldn't load maps/" which doesn't clear anything up for me.

This means that the "startingmap.txt" file is not there, because the map name (the part after "maps/") is read from that file. Can you show me the folder contents of your darkmod/ folder?

This means that the "startingmap.txt" file is not there,

It is, though.

Here is the list of files in "darkmod":

post-9-1222880594_thumb.jpg

And the shortcut you're starting TDM with is +set fs_game darkmod?

Gah, if bad comes to bad, I'm going to add some logging code to the shop/mod loaders...

You could also try to create a new folder saintlucia next to the darkmod/ folder and place a startingmap.txt in there. Then use the shortcut +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game saintlucia.

And the shortcut you're starting TDM with is +set fs_game darkmod?

Yes. :blink:

Ok, here's exactly what I have.

I have a doom3/saintlucia folder that has in it config.spec, DoomConfig.cfg, darkmod.txt and gamex86.dll

I have a StartingMap.txt (does case matter?) in my doom3/darkmod folder, that says "saintlucia"

I have the current saintlucia.pk4 in my doom3/darkmod folder.

There is a saintlucia.cm file in my doom3/darkmod/maps folder

Yes. :blink:

Ok, here's exactly what I have.

I have a doom3/saintlucia folder that has in it config.spec, DoomConfig.cfg, darkmod.txt and gamex86.dll

I have a StartingMap.txt (does case matter?) in my doom3/darkmod folder, that says "saintlucia"

I have the current saintlucia.pk4 in my doom3/darkmod folder.

Try to put that into doom3/saintlucia.

There is a saintlucia.cm file in my doom3/darkmod/maps folder

That should not be there, it should be in the saintlucia.pk4.

StartingMap.txt case does not matter under windows, but matters under linux.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ok, Springheel, I'd like to check whether this works for you. I checked in a few files which should let saintlucia start by default. This affects the saintlucia branch only.

I assume you have your mod installed in C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod or something similar, the important part is that the mod folder is called "darkmod" of course.

The shortcut you're using should be having +set fs_game darkmod in it. No fs_game_base, just "fs_game darkmod". com_AllowConsole and the other stuff is fine.

This is how it should behave:

- Start the game.

- Use the "Start Mission" button to start the briefing (interrupt it with ESC if you like)

- Choose the difficulty and inspect the objectives, then hit "Buy Equipment"

- The shop should open, buy some stuff and then hit "Start Mission"

- The map should load.

Does this work?

I tested it today after switching branches. It loaded the briefing, showed the objectives for SL, let me pick the difficulty. However, when I selected "Buy Equipment," I did not see the shop screen (instead I somehow jumped to the "install mission" screen and there seemed to be no way to load the map).

For people saying they can't find the buttons, I noticed they were just outside the window in Windowed mode, but playing in full screen mode they're cdefinitely there.

I tested it today after switching branches. It loaded the briefing, showed the objectives for SL, let me pick the difficulty. However, when I selected "Buy Equipment," I did not see the shop screen (instead I somehow jumped to the "install mission" screen and there seemed to be no way to load the map).

That's exactly what was happening to me, but I haven't tried with the saintlucia branch yet.

That's exactly what was happening to me, but I haven't tried with the saintlucia branch yet.

And that was what happened to me exactly with the SL branch :)

But I will retry later.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

After switching to the saintlucia branch, I can confirm that the start menus work properly for me (this may be because I added a startingmap.txt to doom3/saintlucia already...Sneaksie said that was what caused it to start working for him).

One thing I notice, however, is that there is no obvious way to get back to the main menu once you start the briefing.

One thing I notice, however, is that there is no obvious way to get back to the main menu once you start the briefing.

Well, then we need to add a "main menu" button in the objectives screen instead of the "Briefing button" on the left?

This isn't normally a problem since the briefing is often just a single parchment that does have a "Main Menu" button.

I could stick a Main Menu button at the bottom of the difficulty screen as a quick and dirty fix for now. We can worry about long term solutions later.