The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Investigation

greebo

I'm referring to this post here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=154491

STiFU has donated a few of his textures and I think they're not bad at all. Is somebody willing to investigate these and see what quality they are? I.e. look for tiling issues, baked shadows, normalmap quality, name convention, shader, frob highlighting code and such.

The good ones should eventually go into our repositories, with credits to STiFU.

Brief assessment (personal opinion):

- threadplate*: 7; some unfortunate dimpling (semi-easily fixable)

- ivy: 10; awesome -- [committed: nature/foliage/hedge_002]

- rooftiles_ceramic*: 6; good, has some troublesome dark spots, diffuse also a bit blurry, tiling apparent

- rooftiles_slate: 8; really good, not sure I'm convinced by the wet version

- poolwall_*: 8

- wall_brick*: 9; realistic, impressive; the closer you get the better it looks -- [committed: stone/brick/old_worn_blocks_001]

- ground_large: 4; looks washed out, might be some bumpmap weirdness (seems to invert)

- tiles_ceramic_large_clean_001: 7; per lighting, can look great or not

- tiles_..._old_blue: 8

- tiles_stone*: 7; another that can look really great in some lighting, or not in other

- rock_large*: 8

- trim_large*: 6; some incoherent dimpling

- trim_small*: 8

- window*: 5; colors a bit strange, 'hardcoded' (compared to recent new window methods), light 'flecks'

- beam*: 7

- planks*: 8

- trim_small_precious*: 10 -- [committed: wood/panels/trim_precious_001]

- ceiling_ornament*: 10 -- [committed: wood/panels/ceiling_ornament_precious_001]

- wood_large (huhuh): 5; nondescript; tiling (possibly intentional?)

So they're mostly pretty good, some great, a few meh.

• 1 year later...

Revisiting this thread: STiFU went through all of his textures that hadn't been added up to TDM 1.00 and touched them up. He sent the updated texture pack to us and I took the liberty to upload all of them - they are quite a few (53 MB DDS/TGA files) plus 150 MB of hires and PSD files. I think they are of very decent quality, above average of what we have.

Here's the list of shaders that were added:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=What%27s_new_in_v1.01#Textures

Revisiting this thread: STiFU went through all of his textures that hadn't been added up to TDM 1.00 and touched them up. He sent the updated texture pack to us and I took the liberty to upload all of them - they are quite a few (53 MB DDS/TGA files) plus 150 MB of hires and PSD files. I think they are of very decent quality, above average of what we have.

Here's the list of shaders that were added:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=What%27s_new_in_v1.01#Textures

Very cool. SVN slowed down to a crawl, but I think it will be worth it.

Do these replace some of "lower" quality of ours, or are it strictly new ones? (I'd like the former, tho, as it means older FMs get an upgraded, better look, while the second means even newer FMs might have the bad textures due to the author missing the great ones. But thats just me)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...