The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3 does NOT have any problems pushing polys

AluminumHaste

This runs at over 50 FPS on my rig at 1920x1200 everything on max. This is just a test map I've been working on to get some practice with making terrain out of patches. As you can see their is a shit load of polys being rendered and at over 50 fps.

shot00074dp5.th.jpg

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, That is pretty impressive. However, if that is a collide-able surface then it will slow down most systems simply by the collision calculations. You may want to create a simpler collision model for the purpose of shadow casting and collision.

Yeah, That is pretty impressive. However, if that is a collide-able surface then it will slow down most systems simply by the collision calculations. You may want to create a simpler collision model for the purpose of shadow casting and collision.

Yes I was definitely thinking about that, but so far no problems with collision. Yeah and making that ceiling with a simpler collision map is pretty damn easy too I have the tools to do it and I can replicate that geometry exactly and just reduce the subdivisions to make it less complicated, it would take about 2 minutes.

As I recall, you have a fairly decent system. I'm pretty sure that map wouldn't play very well on my X850 XT, let alone the Geforce 5900 XT I'm having to use at the moment.

This thread should really be called "AluminumHaste's PC doesn't have any problems pushing polies". I don't think anyone was suggesting that the Doom 3 engine itself imposed some kind of limit.

As I recall, you have a fairly decent system. I'm pretty sure that map wouldn't play very well on my X850 XT, let alone the Geforce 5900 XT I'm having to use at the moment.

This thread should really be called "AluminumHaste's PC doesn't have any problems pushing polies". I don't think anyone was suggesting that the Doom 3 engine itself imposed some kind of limit.

LOL I'll upload the latest version tonight, and you can tell me how it runs.

I have a Dell XPS M1730

EDIT: Unfortunately the general public still has some notion that because the original doom 3 maps were low(er) poly than what we are used to (I mean come on, I could count the number of polys on the heads of the characters, it looks like his head was a box) and many people took that as a sign of weakness on the part of the engine. Just want to help dispel that notion.

True dat.

But that is only PART of the equation. It looks to me like you only have one light source.

Try this, make a very small area with a cube (24 polies). Add one light, no prob, add 2 lights, no prob, add 10 lights CHOKE.

My point being is that it is the interaction between lights and polies that'll kill ya. So add enough lights to that scene to consider it 'finished'. How you would present it for best gameplay/asthetics and see if you framerate is oer 25. That's a test.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

True dat.

But that is only PART of the equation. It looks to me like you only have one light source.

Try this, make a very small area with a cube (24 polies). Add one light, no prob, add 2 lights, no prob, add 10 lights CHOKE.

My point being is that it is the interaction between lights and polies that'll kill ya. So add enough lights to that scene to consider it 'finished'. How you would present it for best gameplay/asthetics and see if you framerate is oer 25. That's a test.

I did that, their are 8 lights around the house to the left illuminating the same patch, and their are 6 lights in the bottom of the pool where the player falls through illuminating the same patch. I plan on adding a parallel light that comes through an opening in the cave's wall the to south (to the right of the screenshot) but I'm trying to get it so that it will illuminate properly, as back lit patches tend to cause graphical glitches.

The way this map is layed out and what I plan is this;

The player is going to start the level on the side of a mountain, in which their is a river running down it. Part of the river is diverted into a cave that the player will crawl through that quickly turns into a waterfall that the player will slide down and grab onto a hanging rope to keep from dying as it's a big drop.

The player will descend the rope (Obviously this is the way that you are supposed to go for this map as you can't get back to the beginning), and drop about 8 feet to the pool of water below. The player will find himself in a cave that's not exactly large, but a good size. At the other end of the cave their are signs of civilization (more than their should be for such a remote location in the mountains); a set of stairs that the player can see. The player makes his way up the stairs into a wooden tunnel that has been cut through the rock that leads around a standard vis blocking Zigzag hallway into another open cave with a shrine in it and a well. (Their may or may not be a guard here)

In this area there is a path that goes around the well and into the shrine with some loot (maybe quite a bit of loot lol). At this point the player should start examining the well and see that there is a rope that is broken at the end that descends into the darkness of the well. The player can mantle on the small opening and go down the well via the rope. Their are a series of beams with ladders (Not sure, might get rid of ladders and add broken brick wall/more beams to make the descent more challenging) that the player descends. Near the bottom of the well is a huge opening with no visible way to safely get down, so the player will climb down the last ladder that ends fairly quickly.

At this point the player can look all around him and realize that he's in the air with nothing around him to jump too, but below him is water and at the far end of this huge cave is a house sitting atop a tiered garden. So the player just falls into the pool below and swims back up and can, from there, go anywhere he wants.

Their will be other points of interest other than just the one house, their will be derelict houses on the cave floor itself that have fallen to pieces because of the rising water levels that are always changing. The player can have fun exploring these if they want and their will be literature and loot to find and maybe a seperate optional mission to find something, I'm not sure yet.

Added any AI? Not necessarily for graphic impact, but just thinking and using world physics.

Yes their is one AI in the house, their was one outside but he got deleted for some reason (was just using him for scale I think). Their is one up guarding the well entrance but I'm not sure if he will remain, this is mostly a pagan shrine area that is not known to the noble below who built his house in a cave.

The AI will be patrolling in the large cave around the derelict houses once I get those in there and I figure out how to get AI to pathfind on patches lol.

The other test is throwing AI in. The pathfinding will bog the system down depending on how complex or large the area to navigate is, and how many AI are trying to find their way about at once.

yes I was thinking of putting some monster clip in making the ceiling for the ai only just above the house. It will be an interesting challenge getting them to work right. I did notice some bad performance but I couldn't tell why.

In the cave area in the screenshot to the left, I put a broken down house. I also put an AI in there and put my starting location in there. When the game started he immediately saw me and came after me. Performance had not changed at all as it was running between 50-60 fps, but for some reason it went down to 2 fps for no reason that I could see. When I jumped over the side it was still 2fps. The AI then began to do his hunt/patrol looking for me as i had disappeared over the edge into nothingness (at least to the AI, nothing but patches and water over the edge), and the FPS went back up to 30-40 fps. I then climbed back up and had him chase me all over the place in the little room and from then on, things stayed at like 30-50 fps.

It's weird. Did that happen because the AI, upon seeing me, assessed the area he was in to look for nooks and crannies where I could hide?

I think there are some debugging info you can enable that shows you areas of complexity or something...

One of the programmers will be able to help.

Not only do you have the regular Doom 3 pathfinding, but yeah in addition to that - the searching behaviour thats in our mod.

Okay I made an exact copy of the ceiling but this time made it out of brushes instead of patches. So yeah there's 8192 brushes with one down facing triangle compared to easily 4 times the triangles from the patches, so it ran much better this time.

Made a bunch of changes that you can't see (Were for AI performance) worked on one of the derelict houses and added the old tower in the middle.

shot00084yn5.th.jpgshot00082zy8.th.jpg

Interesting to note is that now when the player climbs down the well's shaft, and fall off the ladder at the end, they fall through the 4 floors (might add more) of the broken tower to the flooded basement. This is really really cool, I did it about 8 times and it is a blast. With the fog light lighting up the water, it's easy to tell that their is water down below. And the great thing about it, at the vantage point of the screenshots, my fps was still 45-50 fps!!!

Made a bunch of changes that you can't see (Were for AI performance) worked on one of the derelict houses and added the old tower in the middle.

Interesting to note is that now when the player climbs down the well's shaft, and fall off the ladder at the end, they fall through the 4 floors (might add more) of the broken tower to the flooded basement. This is really really cool, I did it about 8 times and it is a blast. With the fog light lighting up the water, it's easy to tell that their is water down below. And the great thing about it, at the vantage point of the screenshots, my fps was still 45-50 fps!!!

The wireframe shot looks very cool, but I have to admit, the left image does really not look like it consists of 1000000 polys at all. It rather looks like it was done 10 years ago and has only 500 polys.

It probably is the dim light and the blocky tower, but the image does really not show the effort you put into building the map :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The wireframe shot looks very cool, but I have to admit, the left image does really not look like it consists of 1000000 polys at all. It rather looks like it was done 10 years ago and has only 500 polys.

It probably is the dim light and the blocky tower, but the image does really not show the effort you put into building the map :)

The tower is just a proof of concept placeholder right now, it has to be fleshed out and changed. I need it skinnier and not so high so that the their is more distance between the bottom of the well and the top of the broken tower. Thank you for the comments.

EDIT: Also I have an issue; my laptop's lcd is really really bright, even with the ambient set to 2 or 3 I can still make my way around the map without any other light sources, but I noticed that at work here the screenshot is extremely dark, and same for the other computers in my house. I'll just have to adjust to the way my screen works.

The light that you see in the bottom of the screenshot is coming from a broken mineshaft up in the air. Their will be light shafts coming in that will add quite a bit of atmosphere to the level. I wish I had more time to work on it, but I started a new job a few weeks ago and I'm working 6 days a week for most weeks. Combine that with my son and a GF that both need attention, DarkMod has to take a back seat. But I still find time to work on it.

For example, I get off work at 4:30 most days so I get my GF and get home at around 6 PM. I play with my son till about 8-8:30 and put him to bed, then spend time with the GF ;) <3

At about 11-12 I work on my map for about 2 hours before going to bed then getting up at 6:30 am when he's in school, and whenever he wakes up any other times.

So work on the map has slowed down.