The Dark Mod Forums

Material Files

greebo

I'm going to rename a few shader files in SVN so that they fit the tdm_ naming convention. This change should be transparent to anybody, provided that nobody is currently working on one of the .mtr files.

The affected files are all those which don't have the tdm_ prefix yet and which are not overriding any vanilla D3 files (which obviously must stay as they are).

So my question is: does anybody have changes in his working copy of the materials/*.mtr files? I don't know 100% what happens to your local file during SVN update after I renamed the file in the repository.

Please make a backup of your current materials/ folder in any case and check in your changes if appropriate. I figure it will mainly be Springheel and Baddcog who might have local work in progress files, but there might be others too. Let me know when I can go ahead.

As long as you leave springheels_characters.mtr alone I'll be fine for today. That file will eventually be removed and entries move to other files.

Hm I was thinking about introducing two naming schemes, one for textures and one for models:

Right now, we have the tdm_* textures (since the texture reorg one and a half year ago), which contains all the textures/darkmod/* declarations. Example: tdm_nature_dirt.mtr

And we have a bunch of files without any prefix, which contain the model textures (not following any convention). One could be tempted to say it's a real mess.

Should I rename the model material files to tdm_models_waterworks.mtr, for instance, so that it's clear what they contain?

The model materials follow the naming convention of the model folders, for the most part. I don't see any problem with adding tdm_models to distinguish them from other textures, however.

Ok, I'm through with my changes. I cleaned the files from a few old unused or broken ones, merged a few shaders and renamed a lot of files.

I left springheels_characters.mtr and springheels_old_skin_series.mtr alone for the moment being. Eventually they should be renamed to test_springheel_chars.mtr or something similar using the test_ prefix.

The naming convention I came up with can be found here on the wiki: Material File Naming Convention

Ok, I'm through with my changes. I cleaned the files from a few old unused or broken ones, merged a few shaders and renamed a lot of files.

I left springheels_characters.mtr and springheels_old_skin_series.mtr alone for the moment being. Eventually they should be renamed to test_springheel_chars.mtr or something similar using the test_ prefix.

The naming convention I came up with can be found here on the wiki: Material File Naming Convention

Very good work! After running extract-assets.pl, I noticed the new test_something files are included in the manifest, which means the maps use shaders from inside them. We shouldmove these shaders out of these files and put them into the proper place (maybe renaming them too)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Very good work! After running extract-assets.pl, I noticed the new test_something files are included in the manifest, which means the maps use shaders from inside them. We shouldmove these shaders out of these files and put them into the proper place (maybe renaming them too)

Which ones are these?

Which ones are these?

I have had no enough time to check, but I can modify my script to print them out and tell you tomorrow.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I have had no enough time to check, but I can modify my script to print them out and tell you tomorrow.

Added a check and a warning to extract-assets.pl and it outputs this list:

Warning: 'bc_chain_link_rusty' inside test file: 'materials/test_baddcog.mtr'.
Warning: 'bc_gargoyle' inside test file: 'materials/test_baddcog.mtr'.
Warning: 'bc_gargoyle_wing' inside test file: 'materials/test_baddcog.mtr'.
Warning: 'candle_wick' inside test file: 'materials/test_baddcog.mtr'.
Warning: 'lights/jdude_church512x256' inside test file: 'materials/test_jdude.mtr'.
Warning: 'lights/roundhalf' inside test file: 'materials/test_jdude.mtr'.

Edit:

Since there are also these warnings:

Warning! Cannot find DDS, TGA nor JPG for 'models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle_wing_ed'

Warning! Cannot find DDS, TGA nor JPG for 'models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle_wing'

I think these shaders should be just deleted.

Second edit:

The reason my script includes these shaders (and subsequentially tries to find the material files) in the first place is this model:

models/darkmod/decorative/statues/gargoyle_roof_corner.ase

which in turn contains this as a base material:

//base/bc_gargoyle

which is no longer working. In the map, however, this material is replaced with a skin, so you don't see that the base material is not there anymore.

We either need to make the base material point to one of the existing skins by default, and nuke the bc_gargoyle shader, or fix it :)

Should be resolved, apart from bc_gargoyle_wings, which I'm awaiting an answer from Baddcog for.

Thanx! I am currently writing a script which can take care of renaming models or shaders automatically. The first step was to add devel/manifests/fixup.txt which will hole a list of "popular" renamings. Added the chests from badcogg as a first step there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Springheel: I finally got around to do the renaming, this is what has changed:

- All official files use the tdm_ prefix now, as all the other files.

- All test/WIP files use the test_ prefix.

- I split the characters.skin file into parts tdm_ai_*.skin as corresponding to the .def files.

- I renamed characters.skin to test_springheel.skin

- I read from the comments in test_springheel.skin that the townsfolk_male char would be removed, I left it there.

- I left the wench and stockey character skins in test_springheel too, as these models are not in SVN.

- I fixed a couple of bad model references in tdm_wearables.skin.

The rest should be self-explanatory. Let me know if you have trouble finding a skin, but I guess you'll easily find anything using text search.

Sorry greebo, never saw this post.

I guess I was under the impression when I was working on the gargoyle that nobody really cared if it was in the mod or not. Never finalized it so I probably didn't upload the textures. Not even sure I uploaded the model/s.

The material probably made it in there just because I was keeping all my test materials in one spot until I was done with them.

Adding test_ to those files is fine if it needs done.

I think the naming convention looks good and needed done so... Good job ;)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@Baddcog: I elaborated the gargoyle statue shader issue here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=160680

edit: and I totally do care about your models, they are always awesome. Actually, I'd like to see more of your models in the game, and I'd love to activate your lantern bot whenever I can find the time.