The Dark Mod Forums

Characters

kfmccall

I like your unique style. Not saying I want the people in the game to follow this exact style, just that I would like to see more original styles for humans, so we can chose some (or blend them together) to give our mod a unique look.

T2 people had huge shoulders.

T3 people all sort of looked same-ish, especially in the face. And the hands were bloody huge.

3D models of people are much like cartoons, in that they are vague representations of people, so we should use the same techniques that cartoons do and exaggerate certain features.

In Doom 3, notice the funny looking guy sitting in the seat when you first arrive (and go up the stairs) with the sunken cheekbones and long face. How different he looks to that UAC guy with the facial hair (in the start cutscean, getting off the ship). The proportions are all different. They aren't realistic. And it looks good.

Where as in T3 I don't think they appreciated this side of game art, and all their faces look the same and they have huge hands.

Your guy is a good example of the exaggeration we could use to "jazz things up".

Edited by Domarius

The problem is that even though it looks great as a slightly abstracted drawing, as a 3d model it would just look as though I couldn't model faces properly, or my proportions were all wrong. I like characiture, but that it not the right stytle of characiture for thief. I think think the T3 guys were going for some sort of 'unique' look wth those big hands and wrinkly faces - it may have looked cool on paper, but in the game it looked like shit.

Look at my builder priest model, that face is characitured enough, but in a thiefy way. ALso go to http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/main/ and check out the t1&2 concept art menus for some thiefy inspiration

I do love the armour though- on a slightly less characitured body, it would fit pefectly.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

These kinds of drawings are good ways to get ideas for different outfits, or variations on textures that we could use on a single model. As I said in the PM I'd like to have several different textures for the different guard models so that we can have a variety of unique-looking guards.

The problem is that even though it looks great as a slightly abstracted drawing, as a 3d model it would just look as though I couldn't model faces properly, or my proportions were all wrong. I like characiture, but that it not the right stytle of characiture for thief. I think think the T3 guys were going for some sort of 'unique' look wth those big hands and wrinkly faces - it may have looked cool on paper, but in the game it looked like shit.

Look at my builder priest model, that face is characitured enough, but in a thiefy way. ALso go to http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/main/ and check out the t1&2 concept art menus for some thiefy inspiration

I do love the armour though- on a slightly less characitured body, it would fit pefectly.

You've convinced me you know what you're doing, in regards to what I was talking about.

Though I've seen some pretty "extreme" characiture styles have converted well over to 3D, like this long, tall, lanky style (can't remember what game) where their faces were very long.

And one of the first things I said about your builder priest model was how much I liked his "characiture" style :)

Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned (or maybe they have and I missed it completely) - it looks like with D3, id had only a few soldier or human male bodies, and a slew of heads. If you place a human soldier AI in the editor, you get a headless mesh. I'm not sure about how you go about setting the head, but it's probably quite easy. The point being - should character models be getting made as one solid piece? Or should they be made like D3 with a variety of heads for differentiation and re-use? All Builder brothers in arms could have same or similar bodies, for example...

I want to make different body types as well, though I suppose three body types sharing a dozen heads would do for any level. The skins can also change slighty as well.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, I brought this up a while ago, thinking that different heads (and helmets) for each body would add to our variety. That way, any guard body can be given one of those non-bjable helmets.