The Dark Mod Forums

Need help changing spider head orientation

Fidcal

Seems that some texture paths or names have been changed. fixup.txt will only adjust brush textures in maps is my guess but not where general textures are used in models.

Here's the head part of the spider animation. How do I change it so it looks forward? I understand that currently its fov looks down not forward.

body "head" {
joint "head"
mod orientation
model octahedron( ( -3.5, -3, -5.5 ), ( 3.5, 3, 5.5 ) )
origin ( 10, 0, 10 )
density 0.1000000015
friction 0.0500000007, 0.0500000007, 0.8000000119
contents corpse
clipMask solid, corpse
selfCollision 0
containedJoints "head left_feelerbase right_feelerbase left_pincer right_pincer rightfeeler_end leftfeeler_end"
}

Seems that some texture paths or names have been changed. fixup.txt will only adjust brush textures in maps is my guess but not where general textures are used in models.

Models don't reference textures directly. There should only be problems if the material shader name changes. What are you referring to?

How do I change it so it looks forward?

I'm not sure if you can change the head orientation without modifying the actual skeleton.

But the fov is tied to a bone in the head. Remember the Thief in Thief's Den, and how he was always looking off to the side? That was the same problem, and it required modifying the skeleton directly.

The only other question is whether the fov could be switched to some other bone in the def file, and I don't know the answer to that. In a spider, it wouldn't really matter if we switched to a spine joint or something, as long as it pointed forward.

OK, thanks. I'll experiment. So presume the fov is oriented the same orientation as the bone (or prob at right angles to it.) That seems a bit rough and ready to me and presumes a lot. Maybe all we need is the spider head bone re-orienting if that is possible. I mean the orientation of the origin of the head relevant to the shape of the head, the head should still point the same way in the game, if that makes sense. But I'll see if i can find an alternate bone first.

Well, I'm not sure it's even possible. The first step would be to look through the ai_def spawnarg lists and see if such a spawnarg exists.

The code always uses the same joint that the head attaches to in order to see which way the FOV is pointing. Also applies to the blackjacking cone (although I don't think spiders will be blackjackable).

/*
=====================
idAI::CheckFOV
=====================
*/
bool idAI::CheckFOV( const idVec3 &pos ) const
{
//DM_LOG(LC_AI,LT_DEBUG)LOGSTRING("idAI::CheckFOV called \r");

float	dotHoriz, dotVert, lenDelta, lenDeltaH;
idVec3	delta, deltaH, deltaV, HeadCenter;
idMat3	HeadAxis;

// ugliness
const_cast<idAI *>(this)->GetJointWorldTransform( m_HeadJointID, gameLocal.time, HeadCenter, HeadAxis );

// ...

Yeah, I think we're all saying the same thing. It sounds like the same situation as when the Thief model had the joint rotated 90 degrees off and their FOV was pointing 90 degrees off, just like Spring said.

Erm, okay, but who is actually be able to fix such a problem? :) (I am not, so don't look at me like that :ph34r:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I can do it, but I'd need to look into the Maya files (preferably) or use Blender to import/export the md5anims without changing the maya source files (might cause troubles if somebody uses Maya later down the road).

Sounds a bit time-consuming. How high priority is this really? Is a spider that can see 180 degrees really so bad for the first release, given none of our release maps use one anyway?

Not really priority - I guess it can be left, but it ought not to be a big deal to orient the head joint. I'll give it 15 to 30 minutes and if I can't solve it by then, I'll leave it alone.