The Dark Mod Forums

Model Request: Furniture covered in sheets

grayman

Close enough to cover it with 100 100 100 radius. But the bed doesn't have that problem which has a light in the same distance as the cabinet pretty much

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

That's what I think. But I use the same stuff as in my other models :/ And the others render fine...

By the way. I can't make the wardrobe now. My faithfull lappy struggles too much on simulating the cloth for it because of it's size. I'll make it within the next week but I won't have internet access to upload it for a month or so :(

EDIT: I tried changing several textures but it's always the same. with the exception of cloth_plain_grey_light_local that I used last and it has a very soft light blue tone on top of the white.

Edited by Atheran

EDIT: I tried changing several textures but it's always the same. with the exception of cloth_plain_grey_light_local

cloth_plain_grey_light_local is a texture. Just to confirm, you're use shader names for the surface, correct? Using textures will not work.

Another thing that can cause full-bright textures like that is two polys that overlap the same space. Are these polys back-faced? Is it possible you copied and pasted one mesh over top of another identical mesh?

I used cloth_plain_grey_light_local just to check. I normally use textures/darkmod/fabric/cloth_plain_creased_white_dull.

About the overlapping polys... Could it matter if it's at the shadowmesh? I'm not sure if I have overlaps there but I'm pretty sure my cloth is not overlapped by anything

*hides*

Ok I found it :P

There we go:

darkmod_2014-08-27_170627_zpsd9ec493a.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-27_170647_zpsc4ab5b88.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-27_170618_zpsb00566b4.jpg

I simply forgot to export the UV maps :( I feel embarassed now and sorry for 2 days of non-sense crap...

By the way Biker... As I said I'm not going to do the wardrobe yet. Anything smaller you might need?

Altho' I'm not sure why the cabinet is black... But that's easy to fix so I don't worry about it

Edited by Atheran

The texture scale looks really big on that last one...if you're not using a specialized normalmap, you could make the uvmap larger so the texture tiles.

My UV map takes all place on it's square so unless DR supports multiple UV maps I'm not sure how I can fix that. And even then I never used multiple maps per object before... I just know that some engines support that.

Or wait... You mean the resolution? Right now it's at 512*512 for the UV. Should I bump it to 1024*1024? Sorry but I haven't really slept last night and brain's not working good right now :P

Or wait... You mean the resolution? Right now it's at 512*512 for the UV. Should I bump it to 1024*1024?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. But you should be able to extend the UVmap beyond the edges of the grid.

I can. But it exports the first grid cell only (from 0 to 1 on both X and y axis. To use from 1 to 2 for example I'd need to export it as a model with several UV maps.

Another thing I could do is tile the image so I could use a custom texture for the specific cover at 2k resolution with say 4 of those tiles if the original has a resolution of 512

can. But it exports the first grid cell only (from 0 to 1 on both X and y axis. To use from 1 to 2 for example I'd need to export it as a model with several UV maps.

Would be difficult to get the seams right, I'd imagine. Using extra large textures isn't really a good idea, as they add unnecessary strain on loading and processing. I can always expand the uvmap after the fact if you like. It would only take about ten seconds per model.

Would be difficult to get the seams right, I'd imagine.

if you mean the seams of the tiles that's quite easy with photoshop. As for resizing it, I still don't understand what you mean but if you do not have to mess around with the UVs and simply resize them then I guess it'd help. UVs are automatically made so it's not very understandable for humans...

Yeah, teh texture is a bit blurry, but besides that it really looks good.

MAybe the texture blurryness is not that visible when using a "normal" light (thus meaning a light that one would encounter in an FM).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Working on those biker. But as I couldn't find which endtable you meant I'm gonna do them all :P Got like... 3 days with almost no distractions so I got lots of time for now :P

Will start on them soon. As of now I'm mainly fixing some old models and creating a room big enough so I can show them all off... As for the texture on the last one I'm not sure how to do what you people telling me to so that's on hold for now.

PS. The cabinet model has some z-fighting on the sides (main model and drawers I believe) is that intentional?

EDIT: Now that I'm on to it what do you think the final polycount should be? with 1k-1.5k cloth and 500 for the shadowmesh end result with the furniture underneath is at ~3k. Is that too much? I could force 1k on the cloth mesh but depending on the mesh it might drop the quality by much. In the chair for example that has all those folds less that 1.5k for cloth alone makes it impossible to smooth the mesh by using face normals and I'll have to use a normal map which I would really want to avoid making...

EDIT 2: here are some screenies. For some reason LW likes to rename the materials/textures/whatever randomly (I Know it's not randomly, I can't understand why or when tho') to modelname:path. And that was the reason the last render had a black cabinet.

As for the graphical artifacts (weird shadows/random visible polygons when the mesh is smoothed etc even a couple missing faces) I sadly have no idea what's wrong. I double/tripple checked all four meshes but everything seems and renders normally. Even in LW (I don't know LW just from the viewport render) there are no such problems.

darkmod_2014-08-28_194707_zps28f1faa0.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-28_194645_zps61d74ef1.jpg

I know the lighting is BAD! but... At least the bed looks really good with these lights :)

If anyone wants to do a proper ingame testing with lights that are used ingame tell me to upload them somewhere and I'll do so. But I can't figure how to put the lights myself. (I dread the day that I'll decide to start a mission on my own. Probably it'll never happen :P)

Edited by Atheran
  • Like 3

Wanna use

Wanna use

Wanna use

I actually have an idea for a mission where those would fit perfectly :)

Thanks a lot for the time you have investet. It is appreciated :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

While I appreciate the way you express it keep in mind that they're my first models for TDM and as it's the first time I used most of these techniques such as shadow meshes etc. They're bound to have a crapton of problems. I'll upload those 4 in like 5 mins. Then I'm gonna start on tables/end tables. I'll upload those when they're done. Within the weekend.

I'll post a SS shortly, give me a few minutes.

While I appreciate the way you express it keep in mind that they're my first models for TDM and as it's the first time I used most of these techniques such as shadow meshes etc.

@Obs & others, if you guys can wait I will work with Atheran until the models are good enough to go into the mod and then we will post a download link for people to use them until TDM 2.03 comes out.

SS as promised -

post-496-0-63225900-1409264297_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-20218100-1409264303_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-01566400-1409264318_thumb.jpg

As Atheran has said this is his first time making model for the mod, so these are very good for a first attempt.

@Atheran, the only 2 issue I can see are -

• The texture scale of the sheet is too low res, its looks like you have a 1x1 or 2x2 ratio - 4x4 would look better. If you look at the FS patch I made for the wardrobe the texturte scale is about right.
  • The surface of the sheet isn't smooth, all the verts are very hard/sharp. I think Springheel mentioned something about how to fix this a few posts up..?

The surface is NOT smooth. I'm just using polygon normals to make it appear smooth. And then on top of it a "smooth" surface modifier from LW which to be perfectlyt honest I have no idea whatsoever what is it and how it works. I just click the button because it has a cool name? :D Who knows... As for what Springheel posted I may have missed it or something because it doesn't ring a bell.

I'll try to look up for it. Or for anything that might help. I also believe that the sharp shadows could be cause by that (mesh not being smooth that is). Anyone knows if smooth edges from Maya would work?

For the textures it was mentioned before but I don't know how to do it. And to be honest I'm afraid of messing around with things I don't understand :) So unless I understand it in the next 2-3 days that I'll have internet access you'll either have to manually patch it or I give the link to Springheel to do it himself as he said he could.

But I was afraid there'd be way more problems than these two. From the comments in this thread (except the Springheel's tip you mentiones and I can't find) it looks to me that people already know how to fix them so it's not something I'd worry about, thinking of how helpfull this forum usually is.

If I get these two fixed and stuff work fine you'll have endtable_round01/endtable_set01/endtable1 and table_round_1 done withing the weekend considering that now it takes me max of 1h to get a model done and 1h is only if things get messed up so I have fixing to do. Then it'll be around a month before I upload something again as I'll be waiting for a new connection.