17 replies to this topic

#1 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

The noblewoman voice sound quality is pretty dire - like an old shortwave radio. And I'm fairly tolerant of quality. ;) It's not just in game - the oggs are like that. Is it like this on the original WAV files?

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, that's an issue. I love the delivery of the noblewoman vocals, but the recording was not great. It was very quiet, and frequently had a high-pitch whine in the background. I had to normalize them, and the do a noise reduction to get rid of the whine, which left them sounding slightly "tinny". Maybe someone who knows more about sound processing could look at them for 1.04.

The wavs are on sounds_src under lady_wavs, I believe.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#3 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

No reference in sound_src that I can see, unless I am looking in the wrong repository. The most recent change was revision 57, which was when I added plasticman's chest opening sounds on the 20th November.

#4 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

I must have missed it during one of the SVN outages. I'll upload them shortly.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#5 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Where exactly can I find sound_src?

#6 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16054 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

There is a separate repository for sound source files: https://darkmod.home...m/svn/sound_src

Same goes for texture_src, model_src and darkmod_hires (for TGA backups).

#7 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:01 AM

I see them now, and yes, there are quality issues with some of them. It seems that they can be fixed with a bit of EQ though, the whine can be suppressed (although not entirely eliminated) and the harshness reduced.

Example:

Original:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7jtvzw

Processed:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/afv6w1

#8 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yes, that does sound much better. How hard is that to do?

It would be nice if we could improve these for 1.04.

#9 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:23 AM

Yes, that does sound much better. How hard is that to do?

It's a manual process unfortunately (although REAPER does support Macros so maybe some automation is possible), but probably manageable for 1.04.

However, I think you mentioned in the "Onwards to 1.04" thread that you were planning some new noblewoman vocals: are these additions to the set, or are they going to replace the ones that we have? Obviously I would want to avoid manually processing a large number of files that were going to be replaced immediately afterwards.

#10 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

No, they're done by a different actress. They're an alternate set, not meant to replace these ones.

#11 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Never mind, it seems that Reaper does in fact have a Batch Converter function which supports effect chains, so this should in fact be a more trivial process than I was anticipating.

#12 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

All of the processed sounds are now committed, both in sound_src as wavs and in the main repository as oggs. I tried to keep the volume level the same so that no sound shader changes would be necessary.

#13 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Great, I'll check them out.
  • someTaff likes this

#14 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

I noticed a lot of lady vocal oggs as I was updating this morning looking for something else. Clicked a few. I assumed these were a new set. So if they are the existing ones re-processed then they do sound much better. That was my reaction anyway early this morning. :)

#15 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

Well hopefully it is an improvement; I can't completely get rid of background whine (without noticeable changing the sound) but it should be much reduced, along with the "shortwave radio" harshness.

I'm not sure about the accent though, while listening it seemed to veer from American to British and even working-class in places. Was the set contributed by more than one voice actor?

#16 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

That set was contributed by BrokenArts. I have another noblewoman set from Red Leaf, but she did the wench vocals as well and the voice is clearly similar.

#17 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Perhaps some of the wench and lady vocals got mixed up? The ones I'm thinking of primarily are the variants of "He's gotten away!", which sound very wenchlike (pronouncing "way" as "why", like Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady).

#18 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

The lady ones by BrokenArts are quite distinct from Redleaf's wench vocals...you'd know if they had been mixed up.

I'm far from an expert on British accents but I haven't heard anything that bothers me much.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users