The Dark Mod Forums

Trying to edit a readable: getting this error!

Bikerdude

Known problem. Where's OrbWeaver when you need him?

Here's the only way I've been able to work around this problem:

1 - When you get that error, save the readable with a different Xdata name. i.e. instead of "MyNote", call it "MyNote2".

2 - With a text editor, find the xdata file where DR actually wrote the text for "MyNote2". It could be in any one of various xdata directories.

3 - Copy that text to the correct xdata file and rename it back to "MyNote".

4 - Make sure the readable entity in the game is referencing "MyNote".

A RPITA, I know, but it's been like this for a while, and I've been complaining about it for a long time, and no one's fixed it yet.

3 - Copy that text to the correct xdata file and rename it back to "MyNote".

1. I let it create a new .xd file - can open and save changes to it no problem.

2. I then copy the relevant text from that file and rename it.

3. I then paste said texting into the old .xd and try to save and close and again I get that bloody error..

AAARRGGHHH>>>!!"!!!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sorry guys, I only have very little time at the moment to work on the Readable Editor, but as I already noted on the bug tracker, it doesn't even sound like it's the fault of the Readable Editor. I recently browsed the bugtracker for RE-issues and found three. I am hoping to fix them soon...

Manually create the folder xdata. I think the readable editor cannot save the .xd file because the folder does not exist and it cannot create it.

While that might be a problem, it's not the root cause of the problem I filed, since my xdata folder already exists.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't seem to reproduce this behaviour in 1.7.2. I am guessing the issue has already been fixed by something else.

Here is what I do:

• Setup DR (win32) to use mod base folder for xdata storage (please note that the custom-folder-option is not supported by the importer. I could basically remove this one)
  • Create a readable entity and fireup the readable editor
  • Save some text and close the RE
  • Reopen RE and everything is fine!

The only thing I noticed is that there is a problem when the RE has already created an xdata-file in another directory, i.e. mod or base instead of mod base. I am going to look into that issue right now...