The Dark Mod Forums

Knockout Arrows and traps

xistenze

I have always thought these were missing for the thief series. regular arrows or crossbow bolts that have an end similar to the head of the blackjack.I would make them rare, and slow to use (for instance if they were crossbow bolts the character has to stop to wind it up before it can be used. These would act in a way that unless you were very accurate the victim might just fall over then get back up dazed and confused or if  just missed them maybe get spooked and spin around to see where the nose was giving you a chance to make up for missing by smacking them upside the head if you got close enough.

As for the traps i know if i built a room to house a priceless artifact i would make it guarded by more than flesh and locks. The physics of throwing items would work well for spiked balls hanging from chains so when u enter the room if you trip a wire it swings at the trespasser. 

As for the traps i know if i built a room to house a priceless artifact i would make it guarded by more than flesh and locks. The physics of throwing items would work well for spiked balls hanging from chains so when u enter the room if you trip a wire it swings at the trespasser.

This is actually already possible with d3 physics. :ph34r:

Cool idea! If I've got time, I'm whip up a proof-of-concept map.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

The blackjack arrow/bolt... Physics doesn't work that way. The arrow would merely annoy the guard slightly, even if you were supremely precise and accurate. I'm not a total expert in physics (still below university level) but it seems to me that:

1) It would be too heavy at the point, so to counterweight you'd have to make the arrow ridiculously heavy at the other end

2) Even with a longbow with a heavy pull, you wouldn't be able to generate enough force to knock a guard unconscious at anything more than close range (where you might as well go and blackjack the poor bugger).

What the hell, go ahead and make it anyway. It's just my 0.02USD that they didn't include it because it's just slightly too overpowered (and practically impossible).

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

What the hell, go ahead and make it anyway. It's just my 0.02USD that they didn't include it because it's just slightly too overpowered (and practically impossible).

Gas arrows already exist for distant KOs.

Cool idea! If I've got time, I'm whip up a proof-of-concept map.

Yeah, I was going to do that in my map, but have not time....

Can you knockout multiple victims with one gasarrow like in TDS, or is just the direct target KO'd? I prefer the TDS way, because otherwise there would be no real advantage besides the higher distance. And since the player has to go that distance anyway, in order to hide the body and weapon, there'd be no use for that arrow, at least not in a ghostable map.

Can you knockout multiple victims with one gasarrow like in TDS, or is just the direct target KO'd? I prefer the TDS way, because otherwise there would be no real advantage besides the higher distance. And since the player has to go that distance anyway, in order to hide the body and weapon, there'd be no use for that arrow, at least not in a ghostable map.

The gas arrow releases an expanding gas cloud, anyone standing in it will get knocked out, except the player (will just lose health) and zombies (will just groan and get annoyed :P The cloud will also extinguish candles and torches.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The gas arrow releases an expanding gas cloud, anyone standing in it will get knocked out, except the player (will just lose health) and zombies (will just groan and get annoyed :P The cloud will also extinguish candles and torches.

The expanding cloud does make it kind of impossible to hit multiple running opponents, because by the time it expands past the one you hit, the others have run past.

Gas arrows already exist for distant KOs.

Gas arrows wouldn't be reusable. A blackjack!arrow would probably be, unless you made it non-reusable, in which case I fail to see the utility and concept of it in the first place.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

The expanding cloud does make it kind of impossible to hit multiple running opponents, because by the time it expands past the one you hit, the others have run past.

Do they start running when the arrow hits the first target or do you mean that they are already running after the player when the shot is performed? If the latter is the case, I am fine with that, but a well timed shot should definitely not cause a mass hysteria. Or the gas cloud would have to explode on impact to near maximum radius, so that the chance to hit multiple targets is increased.

Do they start running when the arrow hits the first target or do you mean that they are already running after the player when the shot is performed? If the latter is the case, I am fine with that, but a well timed shot should definitely not cause a mass hysteria. Or the gas cloud would have to explode on impact to near maximum radius, so that the chance to hit multiple targets is increased.

I meant when they start out running at the player. It's just something to keep in mind. In that case, it's probably better to try to run ahead of the group, and try to funnel them thru a hallway where you have shot a gas arrow at head-level earlier, or something.

The blackjack arrow/bolt... Physics doesn't work that way. The arrow would merely annoy the guard slightly, even if you were supremely precise and accurate. I'm not a total expert in physics (still below university level) but it seems to me that:

1) It would be too heavy at the point, so to counterweight you'd have to make the arrow ridiculously heavy at the other end

2) Even with a longbow with a heavy pull, you wouldn't be able to generate enough force to knock a guard unconscious at anything more than close range (where you might as well go and blackjack the poor bugger).

I think an arbalest (heavy crossbow) would easily generate enough force to kill a person even with a blunt end (The reason they had hand cranks is to be able to crank mechanical work into the crossbow to be released in the form of accelerating the bolt) . These heavier weapons were strong enough to pierce STEEL plate so knocking someone out would be easily accomplished, these weapons had basically the strength of a horse's kick behind it so this is very powerful stuff. The question is, why would a thief have something THAT powerful? I think it would be more suitable for a mission where you are a medieval sniper or something.

Edited by DingDong

What you're talking about has a proper name, a "Fowling Blunt," so called because it is, well, blunt and is used to hunt small birds, which otherwise would be too damaged to be used for food if a regular arrow were used.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be heavy to knock someone out. Arrows pack a lot of punch. Though, as they were usually made from a ball of iron or lead, they could be quite heavy for an arrow.

Edited by LrdPhoenix